The New Raith Rovers Thread

What was Duku like for you guys? Is he decent?

Was fine for the first third of the season. Did nothing of note from then until the end of the season though.

You’ll struggle to find many fans that wanted to keep him despite him being our top scorer which says it all really.

1 hour ago, SteveAn said:

What was Duku like for you guys? Is he decent?

Started off like a house on fire, caught covid and disappeared, reputedly disruptive in the dressing room

And you will be his 23rd club since he started playing in 2003, says it all really

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

12 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Started off like a house on fire, caught covid and disappeared, reputedly disruptive in the dressing room

And you will be his 23rd club since he started playing in 2003, says it all really

2003 when he was 11?

Just now, spot on said:

Nothing new in today’s FFP signing wise although a load of pictures of the guys training. Just a pity that the journalist didn’t bother to add the correct name to many of the players photos🙄

The Fife Free Press has become embarrassingly bad over recent times. Last week's had a picture of Iain Ballantyne supposedly scoring the winner against Hibs at Easter Road, only it wasn't against Hibs and the pic was taken at Stark's Park. 

If I could be bothered, I would cite dozens of other examples. I stopped buying it ages ago. 

Yeah, I fear you're right. As you can already see there'll be people who are booing him "because he's a diver" but the optics (acoustics?) of that really aren't great. Best thing to do is absolutely to just ignore him entirely and hope he has a quiet game! 

Nah, not having that.

There is absolutely no defence for Davidson’s reaction. Not condoning that in the slightest.

However, the guy has conned the ref into sending off our player for an innocuous challenge.
We’re supposed to be getting that sort of thing out of the game.

If Todorov was Scottish the young team would be giving him absolute pelters the next time he came to Starks. Likewise if Davo hadn’t made an arse of himself the focus would be on Todorovs cheating and he’d be getting pelters.

Positive discrimination is still discrimination.

Give him pelters for being a cheating twat, none of this “oh we can’t shout at him in case we’re seen as racist”.
His ethnic origin should have feck all to do with anything.

I’m an old boring man so I’ll not do anything so uncouth as boo a player but the young team should be getting ripped right into him.

Celtic fans started booing Shea Logan right after Aleksander Tonev was found guilty of racially abusing him, and it was a f***ing terrible look. 

They also came out with the same limes being trotted out here, “No no, it’s because he’s a bad egg rather than us being tribal around an issue there shouldn’t be any tribalism about” 

It would be absolutely mortifying if we booed Todorov after this. 

11 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Nah, not having that.

There is absolutely no defence for Davidson’s reaction. Not condoning that in the slightest.

However, the guy has conned the ref into sending off our player for an innocuous challenge.
We’re supposed to be getting that sort of thing out of the game.

If Todorov was Scottish the young team would be giving him absolute pelters the next time he came to Starks. Likewise if Davo hadn’t made an arse of himself the focus would be on Todorovs cheating and he’d be getting pelters.

Positive discrimination is still discrimination.

Give him pelters for being a cheating twat, none of this “oh we can’t shout at him in case we’re seen as racist”.
His ethnic origin should have feck all to do with anything.

I’m an old boring man so I’ll not do anything so uncouth as boo a player but the young team should be getting ripped right into him.

I understand that, but there's a bigger picture. 

I remember years back, there was a regular habit of signing "Who's the monkey in the gloves?" to the opposition goalkeeper, and a discussion emerged (I think in theory only, I don't think it actually came from an actual incident) about whether or not the song should continue if we faced a black goalkeeper. One side of the argument went that they've been calling every goalkeeper a monkey, so it would be "positive discrimination" to stop just for someone who's black, and the other side went... you can't be calling a black person a monkey, regardless of wider circumstance or context! 

I believe there's an ongoing debate in Ayrshire (I think it's Kilmarnock but it could be Ayr United, forgive me) because they've got a song they've sung for years that features the phrase "black b*****ds". Now, like in Fife, "black" has long been a byword for "dirty" or "unclean" without any hint of racial connotations, but at a certain point you've got to look at it and say "could that be misconstrued by someone who doesn't have the full context?" and the answer is undoubtedly that yes, it could. 

In a very similar situation to our own, there was an incident in a game between Celtic and Aberdeen a few years back, where Shay Logan alleged racist abuse, and still to this day is booed by Celtic fans. Now if you ask the Celtic fans why, they'll tell you that it's because he's a wind-up merchant, or a cheat, or a something else, but it's still a really bad look to be booing someone who was the victim of racist abuse, especially in Todorov's case where his allegation was proven. 

I'm not suggesting we set up a support group for him or clap him onto the park, but I really, really don't want a visitor at the first derby (let alone a member of the press) turning to the person next to them to say "Why are they booing the big number nine? Isn't he the one who was racially abused?" 

There might be other reasons to dislike him, they might be entirely justified, but deciding to take a stand over this "dive" (particularly when there are a dozen other players who take a dive at Stark's every season) is just a really, really bad look, and looks matter. 

If Shane Sutherland had been the one that got Davo sent off we wouldn’t be having this conversation which is a really sad state of affairs.

Maybe I’m just naive and think we should be able to live in a world where there is no discrimination at all and you should be able to call a c*nt a c*nt without giving thought to what variety of c*nt he is and whether that has an influence on whether it’s ok to call him a c*nt or not.

37 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I remember years back, there was a regular habit of signing "Who's the monkey in the gloves?" to the opposition goalkeeper, and a discussion emerged (I think in theory only, I don't think it actually came from an actual incident) about whether or not the song should continue if we faced a black goalkeeper. One side of the argument went that they've been calling every goalkeeper a monkey, so it would be "positive discrimination" to stop just for someone who's black, and the other side went... you can't be calling a black person a monkey, regardless of wider circumstance or context! 

Was when Ludovic Roy  was playing against us for Ayr, always gave the opposition keeper the chant when he appeared in the south stand goal, think it was about a 50/50 split whether it should have been done or not, was probably around 17/18 years ago