The New Raith Rovers Thread

Look, no one knows what our budget will be this coming season and all we know is what we budgeted for last season as Sim came out and confirmed it. He's not going to say "well we're budgeting now for a 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th place finish next season" as it'll just piss folk off thinking we'll not finish in the top 4 and in for a mediocre season. If the funds are there to allow us to push for the top 4, or dare I say it a title win, then fucking go for it. I'm sure the powers that be know what they are doing. 

4 hours ago, Raithie said:

I think he meant the likes of Coulson/Mahady/Arnott. 

Who are all signed as Modern Apprentices (like Bow), hence the question as to the rules for loaning them.

That's Dan Armstrong confirmed at Kilmarnock. Their fans seem delighted, but I think they might be a little frustrated by his consistency. 

That said, I hope he does well with them, and maybe they'll find something to get the very best out of him, because on his day he's certainly more than capable of dominating in this league. 

5 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

That's Dan Armstrong confirmed at Kilmarnock. Their fans seem delighted, but I think they might be a little frustrated by his consistency. 

That said, I hope he does well with them, and maybe they'll find something to get the very best out of him, because on his day he's certainly more than capable of dominating in this league. 

I suppose it depends on whether he keeps a lot of the coaching McGlynn has driven into him or whether he reverts to a more stereotypical winger.

For me his biggest assets this season was the sheer running and effort he put in going forward and getting back. There is no doubt his dead balls were, on the whole, honking throughout. 

Also, the fan reaction seems a bit... outsized? Can't imagine too many of them have seen much of him.

Edited by renton

On 01/06/2021 at 15:02, L. Brilliant said:

To be fair if Killie are signing Euan Murray they might take Brad Spencer.  Going down the 'knows the league' route maybe.

We already had our shot of him. Once is enough cheers. 

Fairly predictable with himbeing an Ayrshire boy. I'd have preferred we kept him as he is a capable player and he doesn't hide, but as long as we bring in someone else and it's not a straight swap for Zanatta, I'm fairly relaxed. 

I will not however miss those fucking set pieces and terrible deliveries. Hopefully we remember to put someone on the front post to head away his corners. 

Edited by Michael W

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Fairly predictable with himbeing an Ayrshire boy. I'd have preferred we kept him as he is a capable player and he doesn't hide, but as long as we bring in someone else and it's not a straight swap for Zanatta, I'm fairly relaxed. 

I will not however miss those fucking set pieces and terrible deliveries. Hopefully we remember to put someone on the front post to head away his corners. 

... those two free kicks against Arbroath and Falkirk seem like an aberration now.

17 minutes ago, renton said:

Also, the fan reaction seems a bit... outsized? Can't imagine too many of them have seen much of him.

I think for a lot of us we're just happy about the change of recruitment strategy. We appear to be focusing on established players for teams near the top of the league we're going into, which is a hell of a lot better than picking up any lower league English jobber that an agent happens to punt to us, which is what we've been doing since Clarke left. 

Filling the team with capable Championship players and hopefully having a couple of x factor players (fingers crossed for Lafferty) seems like the best possible strategy for me. 

He’s good and I’d rather have kept him. But I’m not exactly looking at Killie signing guys like Armstrong and Euan Murray and thinking they’re building a team that’ll dominate the league.

Not that it means they can’t win it, of course, nor that Armstrong won’t destroy us one day. But he could be very frustrating and I think he’ll need to improve for Killie to be happy with him. Worth remembering he wasn’t first pick come the end of the season, albeit that was partially formation driven.

23 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Kieran MacDonald will be announced for us any day now I would imagine. He’s not exactly being subtle about it on Twitter. 

Aye, he's had a good couple of years with us. Maybe a slower start to his last season there, than his first and I thought he was maybe closer to his ceiling this time around. Really good pace on him though, gets forward well.

Both him and Armstrong look like guys who have really benefited from McGlynn's coaching - McDonald was someone Airdrie fans weren't too fussed to be rid of, Armstrong's srop start career has only found one coach so far that can get a tune out of him. Be interesting to see if they revert to the mean or continue to build on their success.

MacDonald has a great engine on him and will get up and down the pitch all day. He's been excellent for us considering the reaction of most Airdrie fans when we signed him. He was a slow starter this season due to being injured but he put in some very good performances once he got up to speed. I think he was slightly overshadowed by Tumilty this season but he'll probably do fine for Kilmarnock. 

Armstrong, not so sure about. Again, great work ethic and he'll put in half a dozen excellent performances per season but his delivery, especially from set pieces, was maddeningly inconsistent. 

Good luck to them both and I hope they get a decent reception when they return next season. 

9 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:

More importantly though, Fife down to Level 1 within the Covid restrictions, which allows 1000 fans in to stadiums. Tuesday 13th July, home to Brechin - c’mon!! Hoping this will be first game since the Tuesday game against Falkirk way back! Romantic that both games are a Tuesday…

Yet 6,000 over two session allowed into a fanzone in a week or so time in Level 2 🤔 😷

3 hours ago, basher brash said:

I maybe in the minority here but Armstrong was far to inconsistent and his corners / crossing was shocking is he replaceable definitely however good luck to him and all the best with Killie

Add me to the minority

More than capable of dominating? Debatable. Hendry can dominate games. Armstrong not so much. I honestly won't miss him as I believe he can be replaced. And I can strike a dead ball more reliably and consistently. Not that I'm suggesting I replace him, you understand.