The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, Wardy said:

I see Turner has went to Thistle. Clearly has some sort of attitude problem leading to the Pars basically getting rid. But would have been a good addition here, if we were to lose Hendry (please Regan just sign again. 😭

If, and its a big if,  we were in for Turner, I would guess it would only have been if Spencer and/or Hendry move on so the timing probably hasn't helped us if we were keen on signing him. 

25 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Wasn’t it just MacDonald and McGurn that were part time? Surely you need to see the wider picture here? McGlynn will be able to work with the players day in day out, rather than have to have them all on a Tuesday and a Thursday for the sake of a couple of players? 

And GAndo…couldn’t resist trotting that out again.

If Mcglynn wants the whole squad full time, that's good enough for me.  When you see some of the passing play going on last season, you really need guys in more than twice a week to do that.

If the club have serious Premiership ambitions,  you don't get there by adjusting your training schedule to suit a couple of players.

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

If Mcglynn wants the whole squad full time, that's good enough for me.  When you see some of the passing play going on last season, you really need guys in more than twice a week to do that.

If the club have serious Premiership ambitions,  you don't get there by adjusting your training schedule to suit a couple of players.

Correct. It’s the wider picture people need to grasp here. Arbroath (and Alloa this season) were still competitive against us last season, but I mean this in the greatest respect,  teams who are fully part time will only go as far as Championship level. If you want to take the next step it has to be a complete full time setup. And of course, as other have said, If that’s what John wants, then I’m happy to go along with it. 

1 hour ago, Wardy said:

Wasn’t it just MacDonald and McGurn that were part time? Surely you need to see the wider picture here? McGlynn will be able to work with the players day in day out, rather than have to have them all on a Tuesday and a Thursday for the sake of a couple of players? 

Sorry I thought Spencer was part time. My mistake if he wasn’t. 

10 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Sorry I thought Spencer was part time. My mistake if he wasn’t. 

Yeah can see why you maybe thought that, with him coming from Forfar to be fair. 

650BE5BB-0561-49A9-A9DF-1AD191943868.png

There are strong rumours of a breakaway set of two leagues consisting of only ful time teams. The other two leagues being part time only.

I still don’t see why we went back to a full time model. After that amazing season just gone. Our part time players looked just as awesome as the full timers. We were really lucky we had the best PT players in the league. 

4 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

There are strong rumours of a breakaway set of two leagues consisting of only ful time teams. The other two leagues being part time only.

Do these strong rumours include no plastic pitches in the Premiership?

It's complicated, isn't it?

Pass but you can't expect part time clubs to over streach to enter a league. I just hoping we don't go back to the days of the mid 90s when we threw money away like confetti.

17 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
1 hour ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Pass but you can't expect part time clubs to over streach to enter a league. I just hoping we don't go back to the days of the mid 90s when we threw money away like confetti.

I think the KMac decision, and the delay on word about Hendry, both show that we are being fiscally prudent, even when it means we cannot sign a player we desire, if their wage requirement is in excess of what we have budgeted.

Now that most players contracts will expire this week we should see announcements and photos with the players signed on pre-contracts and hopefully some other new additions. I saw Berra for example, officially leaves Hearts today. 

I think the KMac decision, and the delay on word about Hendry, both show that we are being fiscally prudent, even when it means we cannot sign a player we desire, if their wage requirement is in excess of what we have budgeted.

That’s one take on it.

The fact that nothing has been announced regarding Hendry yet would suggest to me that we’re pushing the boat out for him.

If we couldn’t get near what he’d been offered elsewhere then it may have already been announced that he was leaving.

I don’t doubt that we’re being ‘fiscally prudent’ but I don’t take it to mean that we’ve said take it or leave it to Hendry.

Of course, the most likely situation is that everyone knows he’s leaving but he just hasn’t decided where he’s going yet so he hasn’t officially rejected our offer, just in case.

22 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

That’s one take on it.

The fact that nothing has been announced regarding Hendry yet would suggest to me that we’re pushing the boat out for him.

If we couldn’t get near what he’d been offered elsewhere then it may have already been announced that he was leaving.

I don’t doubt that we’re being ‘fiscally prudent’ but I don’t take it to mean that we’ve said take it or leave it to Hendry.

Of course, the most likely situation is that everyone knows he’s leaving but he just hasn’t decided where he’s going yet so he hasn’t officially rejected our offer, just in case.

I'd agree with this. We'll have made what, by our standards anyway, is a very, very good offer to Hendry. He'll almost certainly move on but there is obviously enough of an enticement there for him not to completely dismiss it out of hand.

There will surely come a point though where we have to set a deadline, as we could end up missing out on potential replacements if we let him and Spencer drag things out for too long.

The disaster scenario is hanging on for Hendry, missing out (which is likely), and losing out on potential replacements.

That said, if there is even half a chance,  the club have to pursue it.

If by "attitude problem" you mean him exercising his right to not sign a contract extension and the club having a tantrum and excluding him from the first team then you're spot on.

I see Turner has went to Thistle. Clearly has some sort of attitude problem leading to the Pars basically getting rid. But would have been a good addition here, if we were to lose Hendry (please Regan just sign again. [emoji24]) 

36 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

If by "attitude problem" you mean him exercising his right to not sign a contract extension and the club having a tantrum and excluding him from the first team then you're spot on.

I just assumed chump. He clearly threw the dummy out at maybe not getting some game time. Players have the power these days, but no player is bigger than the club.

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

That’s one take on it.

Possible, but I feel this Board  would not behave that way. Our (publicized) fiscal decisions of late have been solid and workmanlike, and with a clear focus. While we all have stars in our eyes over Hendry, in the end he’s just a player who can be replaced…and that’s pretty hard to say. We recently sold Bowie, because we had a clear vision it was necessary, despite feeling sure we were selling too soon in the big picture. I simply cannot see us changing that approach for Regan and pushing out the boat…we’re still fishing from shore and safety.

Possible, but I feel this Board  would not behave that way. Our (publicized) fiscal decisions of late have been solid and workmanlike, and with a clear focus. While we all have stars in our eyes over Hendry, in the end he’s just a player who can be replaced…and that’s pretty hard to say. We recently sold Bowie, because we had a clear vision it was necessary, despite feeling sure we were selling too soon in the big picture. I simply cannot see us changing that approach for Regan and pushing out the boat…we’re still fishing from shore and safety.

Maybe we’ve just got different definitions of pushing the boat out.
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said above.

But I think that for Regan the board will have put together absolutely the best package they could manage, and possibly explored things like outside financing in a way that they would never have done with any other player.

That doesn’t mean I think they’d make him an offer that would put them in financial difficulty.

Fingers crossed whatever they’ve offered is enough....