The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, steakngravy said:

Just two words on signing players from Alloa Ryan McCord.           He was very good as a part-time player but for some reason when full-time with us didn't look the same player. He then went to Arbroath and again looked to be a good player. Let's hope lightning doesn't strike twice if he has really signed for us. If he has welcome Liam.

I see your Ryan McCord and I raise you Dougie Hill and Robert Sloan (my lord).

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

I'm disappointed we didnt keep MacDonald. Other things being equal a player who shows loyalty is much better than risking signing a journeyman.

I think this came down to money. Think about it, he has a well paid job I believe and is on a part time contract, this means he gets a full wage from work and a part time wage from the club. Now to make him a full time player he would theoretically expect his full time job wage covered plus what he was making on his part time football contract. Now on those terms I don't think the club could realistically afford that.

Your right Yoss we  did sign some very good players from Alloa but there was a few that weren't.  With regards to Dougie Hill anyone got the video of the game where he took that little Scumfermline tosser Fotheringham I think it was by the throat?

55 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

Your right Yoss we  did sign some very good players from Alloa but there was a few that weren't.  With regards to Dougie Hill anyone got the video of the game where he took that little Scumfermline tosser Fotheringham I think it was by the throat?

Why would you want that?

1 hour ago, steakngravy said:

Josh Falkingham. I’ve only see the photos.

The bold Josh is still playing for Harrogate Town. Statto Statto.

Ryan McCord, to be fair, is an excellent footballer. He is handicapped by being slow and not particularly fit. If he were in better nick physically he'd have undoubtedly played at a higher level.

I suppose if you accept we were in for Taylor-sinclair as rumoured you may be disappointed if we sign a player from a relegated club instead, but let's be honest here - we will at best be judging them on four matches and perhaps we cant match the wage demands or other offers. No point spending money we don't have - we had three years of financial misery and the club needs to be profitable when we're in this league. League 1 really is where full time football goes to due. 

8 minutes ago, Wardy said:

The whole obsession with the Pars is getting on my tits. Do. Not. Fucking. Care. 

Not like there isn't a couple of decent highlights from the season just gone if you want to indulge an obsession, but to want to go back a decade to watch a moment in a game that we lost - largely because of Hill losing his shit - just because of the violence meted out to the Dunfermline player is so fucking small time you'd need an electron microscope to do it justice.

Edited by renton

3 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

I'm disappointed we didnt keep MacDonald. Other things being equal a player who shows loyalty is much better than risking signing a journeyman.

The team elected to move to a completely full time side…the player wouldn’t accept our offer for full time pay. The options are 1) KMac is unwilling to quit his day job (for whatever reason) and go full time, which means he would never sign 2) KMac wanted more pay than the Rovers were willing to offer, which means we are sticking to a budget…which, no matter how you feel about not re-signing KMac, is a relative breath of fresh air.

Note that this makes it quite likely we are losing Hendry, as I doubt we can offer the requisite salary to sign him as it would likely top KMac’s salary with all the interest from higher level teams…unless KMac deliberately pitched a demand that would ensure he remains part time somewhere else.

Loyalty is something the Rovers have shown plenty of, see Vaughan, McKay, Bene, Hendry, etc. But when a team’s plans are X and the player’s plan is incompatible, I think the Rovers have done the correct thing by listing him for transfer. Calling Liam Dick a journeyman versus KMac is a joke, as even allowing for KMac being two years older, he’s travelled far more.

54 minutes ago, renton said:

Not like there isn't a couple of decent highlights from the season just gone if you want to indulge an obsession, but to want to go back a decade to watch a moment in a game that we lost - largely because of Hill losing his shit - just because of the violence meted out to the Dunfermline player is so fucking small time you'd need an electron microscope to do it justice.

To be fair, throttlings are rare occurrences in modern football.

It just appealed to my wicked sense of humour, like the time Jim Dempsey got booked for throwing a handfull of snow at a referee way back in the 70's. Or Cammy Fraser offering John Watson his hand to help him up then as he was about to take it he put his thumb up to his nose. Things like this appeal to me that's all and long may they continue.

1 hour ago, renton said:

I’ve watched that Rovers masterclass against the Pars about 5 times. Not that obsessed 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

The team elected to move to a completely full time side…the player wouldn’t accept our offer for full time pay. The options are 1) KMac is unwilling to quit his day job (for whatever reason) and go full time, which means he would never sign 2) KMac wanted more pay than the Rovers were willing to offer, which means we are sticking to a budget…which, no matter how you feel about not re-signing KMac, is a relative breath of fresh air.

Note that this makes it quite likely we are losing Hendry, as I doubt we can offer the requisite salary to sign him as it would likely top KMac’s salary with all the interest from higher level teams…unless KMac deliberately pitched a demand that would ensure he remains part time somewhere else.

Loyalty is something the Rovers have shown plenty of, see Vaughan, McKay, Bene, Hendry, etc. But when a team’s plans are X and the player’s plan is incompatible, I think the Rovers have done the correct thing by listing him for transfer. Calling Liam Dick a journeyman versus KMac is a joke, as even allowing for KMac being two years older, he’s travelled far more.

I still don’t see why we went back to a full time model. After that amazing season just gone. Our part time players looked just as awesome as the full timers. We were really lucky we had the best PT players in the league. 

12 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

I still don’t see why we went back to a full time model. After that amazing season just gone. Our part time players looked just as awesome as the full timers. We were really lucky we had the best PT players in the league. 

The Board and the Staff seem to have decided that full t8me is the correct move. Given the difficulties part time teams seem to have over time, I can understand the move. Certainly, it should improve the quality of play.

MacDonald was pretty much the only part time player last season. It's possible that it's easier to sign the level of players we'd be looking for with a conventional full time model.

14 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Wasn’t it just MacDonald and McGurn that were part time? Surely you need to see the wider picture here? McGlynn will be able to work with the players day in day out, rather than have to have them all on a Tuesday and a Thursday for the sake of a couple of players? 

I see Turner has went to Thistle. Clearly has some sort of attitude problem leading to the Pars basically getting rid. But would have been a good addition here, if we were to lose Hendry (please Regan just sign again. 😭