The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not sold on that view, as, of the three, I would rate Spencer the least important. He’s more hit or miss than Armstrong and certainly less important than Musonda would be. When he’s on, he’s very good, but when he’s off, he’s infuriating.
Whit? More hit and miss than the regularly infuriating Aaaaaarrrggghhhmstrong?

7 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
1 hour ago, TxRover said:
Not sold on that view, as, of the three, I would rate Spencer the least important. He’s more hit or miss than Armstrong and certainly less important than Musonda would be. When he’s on, he’s very good, but when he’s off, he’s infuriating.

Whit? More hit and miss than the regularly infuriating Aaaaaarrrggghhhmstrong?

Yes. Armstrong, and his inflated sense of his set pieces abilities, is infuriating, but Spencer can simply disappear for games at a time.

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Nando has tweeted he is leaving.

Sad to finally hear, as the lad was a favorite of many, but never showed all the skills necessary as an every game starter. Makes me think Frankie is a possibility, as Mendy would have been a reasonable (and inexpensive) reserve CB with Berra, Bene, McKay and Lang…and as we’ve seen this year, four CB’s is a bit thin, especially when they have to help cover reserve LB/RB.

Ironically the big man had his best game in a Raith shirt in his last match. 

Someone I always wanted to succeed as he seemed a great guy. He had all of the tools, he just couldn’t put it all together. I found myself just waiting on a mistake happening. 

Signed off with a great performance and MoM to boot. Fair play and I wish him all the best wherever it is that that he ends up. 

If we spent the whole time playing against hoof it merchants, he'd be a standout. 

30 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Yes. Armstrong, and his inflated sense of his set pieces abilities, is infuriating, but Spencer can simply disappear for games at a time.

Sad to finally hear, as the lad was a favorite of many, but never showed all the skills necessary as an every game starter. Makes me think Frankie is a possibility, as Mendy would have been a reasonable (and inexpensive) reserve CB with Berra, Bene, McKay and Lang…and as we’ve seen this year, four CB’s is a bit thin, especially when they have to help cover reserve LB/RB.

Disagree with that, since he got back into the team after Tait's form dipped off he's been the model of unshowy consistency. Keeps the ball ticking over, good range of passing, a bit more solid than Hendry but not as combative as Matthews.

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Signed off with a great performance and MoM to boot. Fair play and I wish him all the best wherever it is that that he ends up. 

If we spent the whole time playing against hoof it merchants, he'd be a standout. 

Yeah, there is a neat conclusion to his first and last games being against Dundee, and the contrast between those two performances.

I'm sure he could do a job in league 2 at least. His issues are reading the game and the fact it really doesn't take too much effort passing the ball around to pull him way out of position. If the majority of the game is crashing through forwards at high speed, he'll be more than fine.

McGlynn has always loved a wild card. A previously unknown foreign player to fill a squad place and provide some sort of X factor. 

Nando Mendy could've joined the likes of Javier Amaya and Juan Guerrero in the dustiest volumes of the "Oh aye, mind him?" Rovers history, but instead he made a real impact. 

From his first game against Dundee to his last, he's completed a real redemption arc. While he might not have become a permanent fixture in the starting eleven, he's gone toe-to-toe with some very good players in a full time league and held his own. 

I hope he stays in Scotland, finds a club that can give him a game every week, and a fanbase that loves him too. 

Just now, Raith Against The Machine said:

McGlynn has always loved a wild card. A previously unknown foreign player to fill a squad place and provide some sort of X factor. 

Nando Mendy could've joined the likes of Javier Amaya and Juan Guerrero in the dustiest volumes of the "Oh aye, mind him?" Rovers history, but instead he made a real impact. 

From his first game against Dundee to his last, he's completed a real redemption arc. While he might not have become a permanent fixture in the starting eleven, he's gone toe-to-toe with some very good players in a full time league and held his own. 

I hope he stays in Scotland, finds a club that can give him a game every week, and a fanbase that loves him too. 

Juan Guerrero played his part that year, playing so poorly he forced a shape change that was instrumental in pushing us towards the title.

Ah man, I’m actually quite sad Fernandy is away.

Fair play to him, I got the impression he genuinely cared, was a good egg, and tried to make the most of his time here. 

His tweets involving his discovery of haggis and him walking into the Kelty dressing room dressed as the Joker made me genuinely happy. 

The difference in his first performance versus Dundee when he joined and his most recent against them was night and day,  and against a far better Dundee team as well. 

Wherever he goes next I wish him well. 

27 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

2 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Ah man, I’m actually quite sad Fernandy is away.

Fair play to him, I got the impression he genuinely cared, was a good egg, and tried to make the most of his time here. 

His tweets involving his discovery of haggis and him walking into the Kelty dressing room dressed as the Joker made me genuinely happy. 

The difference in his first performance versus Dundee when he joined and his most recent against them was night and day,  and against a far better Dundee team as well. 

Wherever he goes next I wish him well. 

I can't imagine the nerve it must take to pack up and move to a foreign nation where you barely speak the language when you have young kids but he went all in and gave it his best shot. Fair play to the lad - an utter legend who was happy to get involved both on and off the pitch. He completely embraced the Scottish lifestyle and shy away at any point. 

This thread comes across like a eulogy tonight. Nando saved his best performance till last. A thoroughly likeable guy that I doubt anyone could say a bad word about. It didn't work out for him at us but wherever he goes will hopefully get the best of what he has to offer.

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

This thread comes across like a eulogy tonight. Nando saved his best performance till last. A thoroughly likeable guy that I doubt anyone could say a bad word about. It didn't work out for him at us but wherever he goes will hopefully get the best of what he has to offer.

That’s what makes me wonder about more playing time and experience. I know he’s not a young player, and most have written off his ability to learn better positional play, but he has improved and developed quite a bit. Certainly I would expect a League One or Two club to give him a go, Kelty would seem a likely choice if they win the series, if not someone like East Fife or (oh, heavens) Falkirk offering a one year deal.