The New Raith Rovers Thread

(McCulloch, as I remember it, joined us during the 95/96 season, after Nicholl had left and Thomson had taken over. Bonar signed over the summer between seasons, at the same time as Paul Browne, Kevin Twaddle and Paul Harvey. Don't remember exactly when Duffield joined - I'd have said it wasn't until sometime in the following season, but I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it was.)

(Speaking of which, the Raith Rovers manager is now younger than me. That's a bit of a shock.)

I thought Bonar was there during 95/96 - I distinctly remember the white boots in the last home game vs Motherwell (the last time we ever beat them I think) before the south and north enclosures got demolished.

I thought Bonar was there during 95/96 - I distinctly remember the white boots in the last home game vs Motherwell (the last time we ever beat them I think) before the south and north enclosures got demolished.

You could be right.

I remember four summer signings being pictured togther in the FFP - Browne, Harvey and Twaddle were three. I'd thought Bonar was the other but wouldn't swear to it.

(I'm trying to think who else it might have been, in that case.)

Possibly true, I was only 12 at the time, possibly the finer points of football were lost on me. I just remember him scoring 5 in 9 games at the end of 95/96 - and then not being able to hit a barn door for the majority of 96/97....

We then paid you (if I remember correctly, being only about 12 then myself) £30k for his services. He did fairly well for us, then we inexplicably gave him away to Falkirk for free about a year later :blink:

We must have given you lot about £100k for Duffield, together with Keith Wright and Kevin Twaddle, in the space of about a year.

edit - wikipedia seems to think that we paid you £150k for Twaddle alone. Surely that can't be correct?

Edited by Stevie Aitken's Love Child

We then paid you (if I remember correctly, being only about 12 then myself) £30k for his services. He did fairly well for us, then we inexplicably gave him away to Falkirk for free about a year later :blink:

We must have given you lot about £100k for Duffield, together with Keith Wright and Kevin Twaddle, in the space of about a year.

edit - wikipedia seems to think that we paid you £150k for Twaddle alone. Surely that can't be correct?

Yeah well there was a ridiculous amount of money in the game back then - we paid £400,000 for Paul Browne FFS

Here's a trivia question for you then:

Greg McCulloch spent six years at Raith - how many different managers did he work for? (And name them all.)

Thomson

Mclean

Munro

Nicholl

McVeigh

Hetherston

Scott

Calderon

.... I think. Excluding caretakers

Edited by renton

I liked the look of Anderson when he came on the other night, wanted to get on the ball a lot and looked to play the easy pass at all times - interesting to see if we follow up with this approach and start to play the ball more on the deck. Same can be said for Callaghan, always on the move looking for the ball which is encouraging. 6 month contract and i'll go with Berts backing on this one, just need a couple of other areas IMO and we have a decent squad. As already mentioned, Spence looked quite sharp and was making intilligent runs, majority of the time though the ball took to long to get out players' feet and other times his runs simply went unoticed.

Hmm. A little unconvinced by that in all honesty. I had a wee browse of Fantalk the other day, they seemed to think he'd be a good signing seeing as he scored against us in 2008. Good logic.

I imagine that's us probably finished in the middle of the park, and we're now looking at a striker, who will hopefully be Spence, and a loanee that plays out wide from Hearts.

Also known as the Alan Trouten logic. A player who was excellent for Queens Park in 2007/2008, scored several goals and we failed to sign him the next season. Naturally, he's been off plundering the lower league since despite about three or four clubs getting rid of him as he's shite.

As for Anderson, I'm relatively happy to give him a chance. Obviously haven't seen much of him since his Peterhead days, but hopefully his time down south has been good for him. As mentioned, we just need to add someone up top and then we'll have a decent looking squad. Throw in the fact that even if he isn't the best, I'm sure we can simply just get on the phone to the great bald on at Tynecastle and ask for a loan of a player or two. That'll probably happen anyway, but regardless. As for the Cowden fan, our attitude so far is one of cautious optimism, things are totally different this season when compared to last. While Murray is untested, we're fully behind the board and everyone feels like we're moving forward together. smile.gif

Also known as the Alan Trouten logic. A player who was excellent for Queens Park in 2007/2008, scored several goals and we failed to sign him the next season. Naturally, he's been off plundering the lower league since despite about three or four clubs getting rid of him as he's shite.

As for Anderson, I'm relatively happy to give him a chance. Obviously haven't seen much of him since his Peterhead days, but hopefully his time down south has been good for him. As mentioned, we just need to add someone up top and then we'll have a decent looking squad. Throw in the fact that even if he isn't the best, I'm sure we can simply just get on the phone to the great bald on at Tynecastle and ask for a loan of a player or two. That'll probably happen anyway, but regardless. As for the Cowden fan, our attitude so far is one of cautious optimism, things are totally different this season when compared to last. While Murray is untested, we're fully behind the board and everyone feels like we're moving forward together. smile.gif

I think the squad looks fairly balanced. We have on paper a pretty good back line and of course the witch. The midfield is a complete reshuffle so will take time to settle to see what our best combo is and up front is pretty strong tho we need a bit of pace up there

1342086327[/url]' post='6421042']

Yeah well there was a ridiculous amount of money in the game back then - we paid £400,000 for Paul Browne FFS

Did we not end up getting Browne for free after a tribunal?I think Paul Harvey is still our most expensive purchase at a quarter of a million.

Didn't peter duffield take on Shaun Dennis in the tunnel at half time once. After which his appearences were fleeting to say the least. If we are reminiscing can we get a bit of hate going for Tommy McLean just for old time sake

Didn't peter duffield take on Shaun Dennis in the tunnel at half time once. After which his appearences were fleeting to say the least. If we are reminiscing can we get a bit of hate going for Tommy McLean just for old time sake

Oh absolutely, a bigger c**t, starks has not seen through it's doors. Anelka was an idiot, Mclean was just a fucking bell end.....

How did you even get the time to decide that McLean was so bad? Wasn't he only your manager for a week before he buggerred off to Tannadice?

I think you answered your own question there, whether or not he was a good or bad manager is a secondary concern to his utter cuntishness in walking out after 8 days.

It was poetic justice that he came back a week later in charge of Dundee United and we got our first win of the season....

I think you answered your own question there, whether or not he was a good or bad manager is a secondary concern to his utter cuntishness in walking out after 8 days.

It was poetic justice that he came back a week later in charge of Dundee United and we got our first win of the season....

Ah come on now Rents, 8 days in Fife is more than enough to drive any man to insanity. Even when that insanity is moving to Dundee of all places.