The New Raith Rovers Thread

31 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

A bit lke the rest of your post, everyone knows the step from League 1 to the Champonship is the biggest step in Scottish football, going from in the main from part time to playing a mostly full time league is a huge step, the difference between the top of the championship and bottom of the top flight is small and mainly down to the finances awarded by being in the Premier division. Survival was our ultimate goal, we have surpassed that with flying colours, the fact we lost 2nd spot on the last game although dissapointing was not unexpected given the opposition.

Even the most optomistic in our support would not have put us in the promotion play offs given the calibre of teams we were facing this season.

Calibre of teams - Alloa Arbroath Morton Ayr QOS, Dunfermline, ICT - aye, pish.

Calibre of teams - Alloa Arbroath Morton Ayr QOS, Dunfermline, ICT - aye, pish.

Arbroath absolutely humiliated us just 2 years ago in the league below. Morton and Qos are 2 established championship clubs. Ayr have finished in or around the promotion playoffs the last 2 years.

Dunfermline’s budget will have been far greater than ours.

We have never beaten ICT yet. We have an absolutely awful record against Alloa.

So yeah the calibre of teams was definitely far greater than that leagues been for a while.

26 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Arbroath absolutely humiliated us just 2 years ago in the league below.

No they didn't.

Morton and Qos are 2 established championship clubs.

They're not bigger clubs than us - how is that evidence of a high quality league?

Ayr have finished in or around the promotion playoffs the last 2 years.

Which suggests the cailbre isn't that great after all?

Dunfermline’s budget will have been far greater than ours.

So what?

We have never beaten ICT yet.

Not true, but if you mean this season it's not because they're a better team

We have an absolutely awful record against Alloa.

Really? We've just beate them three times. The fact that such a small club has held its own is contra indicative of high calibre football.

Yeah the calibre of teams was definitely far greater than that leagues been for a while.

Alloa Morton Ayr Arbroath and QOS cannot be described as "high calibre" teams, and I would hesitate to describe ICT Dunfermline and Dundee as such either.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Which is still quite a jump from East Fife, Montrose or Peterhead.

There's not that much in it. Look how teams dropping down into the First almost invariably struggle, and Partick and Falkirk are bigger clubs than Rovers, Ayr, Alloa, Arboath, QOS and Morton. Struggling Falkirk had no trouble seeing of Arbroath in the Cup at Gayfield, and Partick had to bring in players to overcome a disastrous start. Airdrieonians are no minnows either.

Of course a largely part time league with two or three full time clubs is going to be of a lower standard than a mostly full time league with two or three part time teams. But the gulf isn't as great as some are making out, there's an overlap between all the divisions.

Over the last ten years, including ourselves four League 1 Champions have finished in the top 4. Five of them finished 5th. Cowdenbeath finished 8th, which I’m sure was still success for them. I don’t say that to belittle our season, only Livingston have bettered it and Rangers equalled it. It’s undoubtedly a big step up but it isn’t one that seems to really trouble League 1 champions historically.

It’s a blow to finish 3rd when we were four clear in second with two remaining. Arguably a different run of fixtures, with Dundee/Hearts are the start of the final third rather than the end, might’ve seen us in third place much earlier and going into the play-offs happily and with optimism rather than feeling let down. A normal 36 game season would’ve seen Dundee due to come to Starks rather than the imbalance of playing them away twice but home once. Maybe we’d have reclaimed 2nd.

It’s been a very good season overall, and I think we’d have been a bit more appreciative of it if we were in the ground. But I never really subscribed to one point above 9th representing true success this season, it would’ve been fine and acceptable. Nonetheless I always fancied a shot at the promotion play-offs but in truth probably expected us to come up short.

We haven’t, we made it fairly comfortably in the end, and there isn’t really anything between us/Dundee/Dunfermline. I don’t feel great about our chances without Musonda in defence, but play-off ties can turn on a single moment, a mistake, a refereeing blunder. Our last three games have seen refereeing blunders! Let’s see how the next week plays out.

19 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

A bit lke the rest of your post, everyone knows the step from League 1 to the Champonship is the biggest step in Scottish football, 

I'm not sure, I think the jump from Championship to Premiership is bigger. 

You seeing this anywhere else or did you see the lad post it on our thread?
He's been rumoured to be going to quite a few teams so can only assume its that or a trolling attempt. The two reasons not being mutually exculisve. Good signing for you if it is true though.

2 minutes ago, grumswall said:
42 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He's been rumoured to be going to quite a few teams so can only assume its that or a trolling attempt. The two reasons not being mutually exculisve. Good signing for you if it is true though.

I'd genuinely never heard of him until I saw the St Johnstone fans hoping they signed him. Watched a few Raith Rovers games/highlights when Ethan Ross was there and thought quite a few of the players were very good.

I'd genuinely never heard of him until I saw the St Johnstone fans hoping they signed him. Watched a few Raith Rovers games/highlights when Ethan Ross was there and thought quite a few of the players were very good.
Hendry would be a good signing for both of you imo. Shows alot of natural ability. Good range of passing and likes to dictate play. Drops deep to pick the ball up but is comfortable further up the pitch as well. Only need to look at his goal against dunfermline to see it all in action.

Has Ross had much of a chance since he was recalled? I quite liked him and think he suited our play more than Kennedy has since then.

56 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Hendry would be a good signing for both of you imo. Shows alot of natural ability. Good range of passing and likes to dictate play. Drops deep to pick the ball up but is comfortable further up the pitch as well. Only need to look at his goal against dunfermline to see it all in action.

Has Ross had much of a chance since he was recalled? I quite liked him and think he suited our play more than Kennedy has since then.

I've watched a few bits and pieces but trying not to get too excited until it sounds like a goer. That was lovely goal, saw it earlier on this evening.

No, not had enough of a chance. One start I think. He came back at a time when McInnes was desperate to stay in a job. 

I've watched a few bits and pieces but trying not to get too excited until it sounds like a goer. That was lovely goal, saw it earlier on this evening.
No, not had enough of a chance. One start I think. He came back at a time when McInnes was desperate to stay in a job. 
Ross was good once he started being more direct and running at players. For reference, look at his goal against Alloa.
I'm still foolishly holding out hope that he won't sign on elsewhere until our season is finished and if we go up he stays with us.
Probably speaks volumes that when we signed him permanently mcglynn built the team around him, even if that was in league 1.

16 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I just seen the post on the Aberdeen forum and was wondering how much he'd be costing.