The New Raith Rovers Thread

Completely agree with that. He had quite a positive start to last season too, scored a few goals and had a few assists. Did very, very little from about September on though.

I found myself thinking in the first half that Hamill on the right Anderson on the left might work a bit better because Thomson loves to overlap and it's difficult to do that with an out-and-out winger in front of him. Murray seemed to have similar thoughts but it didn't work really, Anderson didn't touch the ball on the left.

For me, in an ideal world we'd get a new left winger with Callachan, Walker and Hamill (maybe even Murray I guess?) fighting it out for the two central berths. Our wingers/full-backs are going to have to step up to the marks if we're playing Graham and Clarke up top, they won't create much themselves. And sadly I don't see a left-hand side of Malone and Hamill being terribly threatening.

The fact that Murray has two central midfielders on trial suggests that he sees himself using Hamill as a wide player and is looking to add at least one central player to the squad.

We didn't get much of a look at him on Tuesday night but he seems to have done well for Peterhead in the 2nd division in the past. Wonder where this leaves Johnny Stewart, bearing in mind he didn't even get on as a sub.

Yeah, along with Callachan looking the part, I would say our central midfield looked well served with Callachan, Walker, Anderson, Hammill and Murray (at a push) able to play there. You'd ay our priority now was a third stike roption and if we could push the boat out, another wide player.

Apart from one wee slip when he came on Anderosn looked comfortable enough, no issues with him signing.

I quite liked the look of Spence on tuesday night and rated him when he played against us for Hamilton, hopefully he get's signed up pronto.

It's a crying shame we probably won't get Jamie Walker on another loan, otherwise our midfield would coud've gone Walker-Walker-Anderson-Anderson.....

Edited by renton

Yeah, along with Callachan looking the part, I would say our central midfield looked well served with Callachan, Walker, Anderson, Hammill and Murray (at a push) able to play there. You'd ay our priority now was a third stike roption and if we could push the boat out, another wide player.

Apart from one wee slip when he came on Anderosn looked comfortable enough, no issues with him signing.

I quite liked the look of Spence on tuesday night and rated him when he played against us for Hamilton, hopefully he get's signed up pronto.

It's a crying shame we probably won't get Jamie Walker on another loan, otherwise our midfield would coud've gone Walker-Walker-Anderson-Anderson.....

I remember in the 70's we had 3 Browns in the team, included amongst them Billy Brown ex Hibs assistant manager.

Hmm. A little unconvinced by that in all honesty. I had a wee browse of Fantalk the other day, they seemed to think he'd be a good signing seeing as he scored against us in 2008. Good logic.

I imagine that's us probably finished in the middle of the park, and we're now looking at a striker, who will hopefully be Spence, and a loanee that plays out wide from Hearts.

We had two Scott Thomson's once. One was a hero the other turned out to be a w**k

I remember we signed 'nipper' Thomson at the same time as a three others: Greig McCulloch, Paul Bonar and, I think, Peter Duffield? I could be wrong - but all turned out to be shite anyways....

Hmm. A little unconvinced by that in all honesty. I had a wee browse of Fantalk the other day, they seemed to think he'd be a good signing seeing as he scored against us in 2008. Good logic.

I imagine that's us probably finished in the middle of the park, and we're now looking at a striker, who will hopefully be Spence, and a loanee that plays out wide from Hearts.

Well, we can only trust in Murray's judgement (and you'd assume he'd been invited to train with the Rovers back when McGlynn was in charge) I thought he looked ok, and as has previously been noted, Callachan looked the part, even if Anderson did turn out to be a diddy (which I don't think he will).

Peter Duffield, shite?

Harsh.

Possibly true, I was only 12 at the time, possibly the finer points of football were lost on me. I just remember him scoring 5 in 9 games at the end of 95/96 - and then not being able to hit a barn door for the majority of 96/97....

(McCulloch, as I remember it, joined us during the 95/96 season, after Nicholl had left and Thomson had taken over. Bonar signed over the summer between seasons, at the same time as Paul Browne, Kevin Twaddle and Paul Harvey. Don't remember exactly when Duffield joined - I'd have said it wasn't until sometime in the following season, but I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it was.)

(Speaking of which, the Raith Rovers manager is now younger than me. That's a bit of a shock.)

Possibly true, I was only 12 at the time, possibly the finer points of football were lost on me. I just remember him scoring 5 in 9 games at the end of 95/96 - and then not being able to hit a barn door for the majority of 96/97....

Was he there as early as that?

Okay then, I stand corrected.