The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Beachbum said:

It's never too early to get promoted.

And what's this crap with 'another year or two in the Championship to firm up finances would be especially good' ?

The best place to firm up the finances is the Premiership.

1 hour ago, SanStarko said:

Two years after the last time we were in this position we were playing in League One.  Admittedly it's unlikely we'd get rid of McGlynn and bring in a clown as a manager again but things can change drastically at this level.  If we stayed in the Championship there's no guarantee we'd have as good a season again, it's just as likely we could end up battling at the wrong end of the table.

If we manage to go up and end up coming straight back down, who cares.  The first season in the Premier League with Nicholl was still fun, even though we didn't win very often.  I've still got the scarf I bit a hole through up at Dens Park while nervously waiting for the final whistle to get us our first win that season.  Plus the money we'd make in that one season plus the parachute payment would put the club in a good position to work towards getting back up and staying up. 

41 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Absolutely astounding to read that anyone would think it's "too soon to go up". Sorry but that is just stupid. Last time we were in the Premier league playoffs we got relegated to league 1 the very next season. f**k even this season a lot of fans were still worried about relegation until a couple of weeks ago. 

16 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

After our showing against Livingston in the cup where we outplayed them for an hour before running out of puff we've nothing to be worried about this team going up to the Premiership. I can only see benefits from promotion, the likelihood of keeping key players, and McGlynn, better finances, better crowds, better publicity. As has been pointed out already, it's harder to get promotion to the top league than escape relegation from it, and not going up could well mean mediocrity next season.

Note that I said “reluctantly agree that getting promoted this season would be “too early”, but should still be gleefully chased and accepted.

I believe the club planned to simply establish itself in the Championship this year and then build toward promotion. This is a delightful turn, and while it will cause some problems, should be pursued wholeheartedly. It is very clear that the team wasn’t expecting this success, hence the ”too early” concept, as everything else about the Rovers recently has been clearly focused toward building going forward and establishing the team as a top level competitor in coming years.

Edited by TxRover

I genuinely don’t think McGlynn would go anywhere, even given the chance.

He’s had a go at managing his boyhood team and it didn’t work out.
He’s had another go at managing in the premier and it didn’t work out.

When he came back he said Raith was the only gig that would tempt him back to management.

Sometimes people and clubs are just perfect fits for each other and McGlynn and the Rovers are exactly that.

I could be wildly wrong of course but another team coming and pinching McGlynn is not something I worry about at all, I think we’ll have him for as long as the partnership is successful.

I totally agree but I’m sure I read something recently that he still wants to manage at the highest level he can. Whilst we all hope its with us, you only have to look what he’s done with the club in a small space of time to think it’ll interest other owners. McGlynn would have been a perfect fit for the likes of Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Note that I said “reluctantly agree that getting promoted this season would be “too early”, but should still be gleefully chased and accepted.

I didn't have your post in mind, I was just getting my tuppence worth in.

Pleased with that.  Very worst case for us is 3rd place and home advantage in the quarter final.  

Good chance for 2nd, let's see how the weekend goes.  Still don't fancy needing a win vs Hearts.

Without wanting to go all European Super League, we're now guaranteed a minimum prize pot of £480 000 for finishing 3rd.

That must be at least £200k more than any budgeted expectation. 

I'm all for spending it on a £4k pw contract extension for Regan Hendry. 

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Without wanting to go all European Super League, we're now guaranteed a minimum prize pot of £480 000 for finishing 3rd.

That must be at least £200k more than any budgeted expectation. 

I'm all for spending it on a £4k pw contract extension for Regan Hendry. 

Compared to how much for winning league 1? £70k odd?