The New Raith Rovers Thread

Also not a fan of facing the Pars in a play-off. They surely can’t be out thought as easily again. Ideally I’d like to see them miss out on the play-offs totally, mostly out of pettiness I admit. 

For tomorrow, a draw is fine, but I still think I’d prefer an Inverness win.  Puts them above Dunfermline and keeps Dundee far behind us.  Appreciate that with two wins and two defeats for us they would catch us but they do still have to play Hearts so absolutely no guarantee that would happen.  Anything but a Dundee win. 

Also not a fan of facing the Pars in a play-off. They surely can’t be out thought as easily again. Ideally I’d like to see them miss out on the play-offs totally, mostly out of pettiness I admit. 

For tomorrow, a draw is fine, but I still think I’d prefer an Inverness win.  Puts them above Dunfermline and keeps Dundee far behind us.  Appreciate that with two wins and two defeats for us they would catch us but they do still have to play Hearts so absolutely no guarantee that would happen.  Anything but a Dundee win. 

So you’d rather pars miss out and ICT get the playoffs? Avoid a team who are as poor as they have been and instead potentially play a team who we have a dreadful record against. Bizarre!

I reserve the right to change my mind after Saturday but at the moment my preference would be for Dundee and ICT to qualify and for Dundee to knock ICT out. 

I would take my chances against Dundee over ICT and the Pars every time. 

Not bothered who way play tbh.  There won't be any easy games, nor anything to be scared of.

Great to be involved.  In recent years, April has seen us worry about facing a pandemic, wonder if we will ever get out of League 1, or wonder if we will get relegated.  

The only thing we really have to worry about is who we will face in promotion play offs.  Bring it on.

Edited by CALDERON

2 hours ago, RRFC1989 said:

So you’d rather pars miss out and ICT get the playoffs? Avoid a team who are as poor as they have been and instead potentially play a team who we have a dreadful record against. Bizarre!

Pars definitely in the Championship again next season or in with a chance of promotion to the Premiership...not exactly surprising for me to prefer the former.  Yes we beat them 5-1, but they also hammered us 4-1. The play-offs would be tense. I’d still fancy us, but if we lost to them it would be grim. 

I’d also fancy us against ICT. Not bothered by the last 20 years of results, the 4 games this season have been fairly tight and bad runs have to end sometime. Whoever we get will be a battle. Just delighted to be in the play-offs. 

For the playoffs, without trying to sit on the fence too much. They will all be very difficult games, they’re essentially cup finals, so any league form, is out (albeit, helps if you have no major injuries - looking at us here!).
My opinion if we play any of the following:
ICT - We’re out, there’s no kidding ourselves here, they are just our bogey team. Obviously would gladly be proven wrong.
Pars - I think we have a decent chance, 60/40 in our favour.
Dundee - very close, not impossible, 50/50.

I also believe whoever it is from the Championship goes on to play; Killie (probably the most difficult team), Ross County or Hamilton, will be promoted. Based on confidence/tails fully up n all that.

When was the last time 2 went up and 2 down? (Cheers in advance any stato’s out there)

5 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

For the playoffs, without trying to sit on the fence too much. They will all be very difficult games, they’re essentially cup finals, so any league form, is out (albeit, helps if you have no major injuries - looking at us here!).
ICT - We’re out, there’s no kidding ourselves here, they are just our bogey team. Obviously would gladly be proven wrong.

I also believe whoever it is from the Championship goes on to play; Killie (probably the most difficult team), Ross County or Hamilton, will be promoted. Based on confidence/tails fully up n all that.

When was the last time 2 went up and 2 down? (Cheers in advance any stato’s out there)

17/18

2017–18 Scottish Championship - Wikipedia

6 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

Last time was 2017/18 when Livi went up, the only time before was the first lot when Hamilton went up.

9 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

That's nonsense really.

Its a 50-50 shoot out in all reality whoever we play.  There isnt a great deal between the sides.  If we play ICT, we haven't beaten them yet this season.  If we play Dunfermline, its a hiding each and a draw so far.  If we play Dundee, there hasn't been much between the sides either.

Its all to play for. Can't wait. 

41 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Some achievement if you guys go up, all joking aside. 

I've had a liking for the Rovers for years (after I lived in Fife for a while), but I must ask an awkward question... if the Rovers get promotion, where is the loot going to come from to keep them there, even for just 2 seasons? Managerial brilliance and a "get it up yie" attitude is all well and good in the Championship, but next season after a step up?  I know a couple of absolutely die hard Rovers fans who think it's a season or two too soon.  The objective has to be more than just to get there, and they don't want their main contribution to end up being making St Mirren and Ross County look good. 

On 20/04/2021 at 11:17, Salt n Vinegar said:

Managerial brilliance and a "get it up yie" attitude is all well and good in the Championship, but next season after a step up?  I know a couple of absolutely die hard Rovers fans who think it's a season or two too soon.  The objective has to be more than just to get there, and they don't want their main contribution to end up being making St Mirren and Ross County look good. 

That's all pretty daft eh.  You're probably only joking.

We've got about the same fanbase as Livi, Ross County, probably more than Hamilton and not far off St Johnstone. For clubs that don't just go radge in their overdraft and hope they find the end of the rainbow, the normal way to do it is work out how much those fans are going to spend into the club, what other income is guaranteed or very likely, and spend about that on their team and stadium (while trying to bring a few young players through etc).  There's about 12-15 teams in our bracket, along with those above, and when we're on the upswing we compete with them.  Meanwhile, Motherwell, Killie, St Mirren, Dundee etc, even Hibs or Dundee Utd are never more than a couple of bad decisions away from that level temporarily as well.  
Getting into the top tier is a rare thing and is the very top of our reach.  We could build a team for the premier more slowly, but the momentum of just having been promoted was always going to be our best chance at competing to go up.  That, or having come down again with a bit of money earned in one frugal premier season.   Maybe your pals will only be happy with top 6 but that's 2-3 times a century for a club our size, the majority are realistic about what success looks like for us.   

Edited by L. Brilliant

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I've had a liking for the Rovers for years (after I lived in Fife for a while), but I must ask an awkward question... if the Rovers get promotion, where is the loot going to come from to keep them there, even for just 2 seasons? Managerial brilliance and a "get it up yie" attitude is all well and good in the Championship, but next season after a step up?  I know a couple of absolutely die hard Rovers fans who think it's a season or two too soon.  The objective has to be more than just to get there, and they don't want their main contribution to end up being making St Mirren and Ross County look good. 

FFS (if you're actually seriously) talk about out of touch with reality. 12 months ago were you & the rest of your fanbase worried about putting together a run of title wins & becoming an established European team? Of course not. Your club had one aim. To stop 10 in a row at all costs.

Not that they need me to fight their corner in any way but Raith fans, to a man, will be over the moon if they managed to win promotion. Next season can wait. Stop p1ssing on their parade.

Edited by da_no_1

If (and I don't think we will) we were to get promoted, we would receive a huge amount of prize money vs the level we have been used to, even for finishing 12th.  Add to that the gate receipts from far higher crowds.

Worst case would be ending back in this league in a far healthier state than we had ever been for years.

Also, we are fans of a club who 2 years ago finished 3rd in League 1.  

This season has been a success, regardless of what happens - but promotion, as unlikely as it is, would be nothing short of fantastic.