The New Raith Rovers Thread

Ultimately though it is about lived experience. I'm 36 and was therefore old enough, just, to enjoy the Nicholls years but not old enough to really understand what it meant for the club at the time. 

If your older than me, then it will be Nicholl. Younger than me and Nicholl's achievements fade into the abstract. You've lived McGlynn, the low times before and how he has dragged the club up by its bootstraps.

For the contemporary club, John McGlynn is inseperable from the club itself. His values and ethos run deep through the whole organisation. Something brought into further relief by the failure f those who managed the club in the interim to leave any kind of legacy, and most of what was left was negative.

Edited by renton

Yeah, that's the biggest thing for me - he's rescued this club, twice. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that another manager could've killed this club, particularly first time around. 

Nicholl's highs were higher, but McGlynn has probably overseen a greater improvement. And he could still win a trophy (albeit the Challenge Cup, and a year late!) and a promotion to the Premiership this season. 

Yeah I’m just old enough to remember the nicholl era. Primary school and seeing us in the premier league sticker album. Getting the rovers shiny. We were in the big time. 

Now it’s McGlynn. He is the man. I love him. When you hear things like “always a risk bringing someone back” , I just never had that thought in my mind when he was brought back in. 

The feel of the place is the same as the last time with regard to the squad togetherness and things, but now we have a group of players who can actually play the ball about and play the game that’s attractive on the eye. It would be a Perfect end if we somehow managed to get back up to the top flight again, and it would be truly deserved. 

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

After the season when Arbroath lost the league, I had a fear that we were on the verge of becoming another bog standard League 1 side, like Airdrie.

2 years ago a handful of us watched the Rovers give a guard of honour to Arbroath before Easter was finished.  If you had told me in 2 years time we would have confirmed top 4 finish in the league above..........

I was nervous of that being the case especially when we started a season with an untested 16 year old, a winger and a forward with no proven record of scoring goals up top. We had a lot of the pieces but I feared the worst after the first half against Falkirk. The second half of that game convinced me they weren't anything to be concerned about. The arrival of Baird was a masterstroke. Since then, we've gradually improved on every area of the squad which has been needed.

In terms of the greatest, I think he's got a fair argument for it. It's worth remembering that Nicholl had a second spell where we squandered a huge amount of money. McGlynn has completely changed the dynamic about the club. If we finish in the top two, McGlynn should be manager of the year. As mentioned, it won't happen because of Gerrard at Rangers. But to take a newly promoted squad and to get to where we are has been a superb accomplishment. It would be even sweeter to get top two. While there's a potential we'll lose some key players this Summer, the difference between our second place finish before and a potential second place this season is prize money: we'll get £570k if we finish this second. Before the winner of the old first division got £67k. Combine that with the Scottish Government grant for £500k and we'll be utterly laughing. 

John McGlynn is an absolute legend for this club, as has been said above twice he’s dragged us out the seaside league and twice he’s had us challenging for promotion to the top division. I’ll fully admit when he left last time I felt it was right for both parties as he’d taken us as far as he could. I was 100% wrong, McGlynn gets the best out of the Rovers.

I’d honestly be interested to see what he could have done at Hearts if he’d been given a fair crack at the job and not brought in as the fall guy when they were finically buggered. McGlynn seem to be a manager who analyzes everything and the players enjoy working with. He has my full backing and I think his work at Celtic has only improved his management as he’s far more keen to give youngsters a chance and brought through some gems.

Honestly my worry now is that bigger clubs will be looking at what McGlynn has done and the football he’s got us playing and want a slice of what we’re having. I’m sure McGlynn himself would want another crack at a bigger club too, especially if we don’t go up this season. That said I think it’s unlikely he’d leave us for just anybody.

Edited by Enigma

Just now, Enigma said:

Honestly my worry now is that bigger clubs will be looking at what McGlynn has done and the football he’s got us playing and want a slice of what we’re having. I’m sure McGlynn himself would want another crack at a bigger club, especially if we don’t go up this season. That said I think it’s unlikely he’d leave for just anybody.

I'm fairly sure he has already had a crack at his dream job (Hearts) and didn't do fantastic at Livi so it probably suits both parties for him to stay.

2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Honestly my worry now is that bigger clubs will be looking at what McGlynn has done and the football he’s got us playing and want a slice of what we’re having. I’m sure McGlynn himself would want another crack at a bigger club too, especially if we don’t go up this season. That said I think it’s unlikely he’d leave us for just anybody.

He might be tempted again, but hopefully he prefers what he must now recognise as security here ot have another Hearts disappointment. If that unlikelyhood does happen I'd hope Smudger doesn't leave with him, for continuity sake.

2 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

He might be tempted again, but hopefully he prefers what he must now recognise as security here ot have another Hearts disappointment. If that unlikelyhood does happen I'd hope Smudger doesn't leave with him, for continuity sake.

Yeah, as I said, I doubt he’d leave us for anybody but I’m sure a stable club with a good youth set up and a decent chance of European football like Motherwell or Dundee United would be tempting.

Edited by Enigma

I must admit that even at times last season I still wasn't convinced by McGlynn mark II. There were still far too many flaky away performances for my liking. 

However, even though McGlynn is the type of manager I've always had more faith in keeping us in the Championship than getting us there, this season has been an absolute revelation in terms of where we've gotten to and more especially the way we've played. 

So well done to him, Smith and the players for an exceptional season, regardless of what happens over the next few weeks. 

If we have our crocked players back for next week I'll be less scared of Dundee than I was of QOS and Alloa. 
Not that I'm overconfident either.

We’ll need them to get anything off Dundee and Hearts but only play them if they’re 100% as we’ll need them more in the playoffs. Fingers crossed we get the full team out for those.

12 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

We’ll need them to get anything off Dundee and Hearts but only play them if they’re 100% as we’ll need them more in the playoffs. Fingers crossed we get the full team out for those.

I think we need at least Vaughan and either one of MacDonald or Musonda. A fit Gullan would be welcome.

PS If possible, Matthews for King would be a huge improvement

Edited by Raith_Raver

The biggest improvement for me is the football that's being played. We knew he would get them organised but didn't expect the free flowing goalfests.

I too am old enough to remember the 90's and Jimmy Nic's team was always nice to watch. 

Absolutely love McGlynn but there’s no way he surpasses Jimmy Nicholl as our greatest ever manager. Appreciate that younger fans weren’t there to see it, but the journey he took us on was something else. Into the top league twice playing superb football, to a major cup final and into Europe. It was genuinely unbelievable.  Yes, he inherited a strong base from Frank Connor and his return was forgettable, but the highs he gave us were on a different scale to anything seen before or since. 

5 hours ago, Gav_RRFC said:

Now it’s confirmed we’re into the play-offs. I’ve knocked up this wee montage video to get everyone pumped up for the coming weeks. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/qY5Lv8fDmWE

This is magnificent. Goosebumps. Just seeing all those players, managers and moments flash by reminds you of what we’ve been through since 1997.  Great work. 

Now it’s confirmed we’re into the play-offs. I’ve knocked up this wee montage video to get everyone pumped up for the coming weeks. Enjoy!

Well f*cking played [emoji1319] that’s excellent [emoji1319]

26 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Absolutely love McGlynn but there’s no way he surpasses Jimmy Nicholl as our greatest ever manager. Appreciate that younger fans weren’t there to see it, but the journey he took us on was something else. Into the top league twice playing superb football, to a major cup final and into Europe. It was genuinely unbelievable.  Yes, he inherited a strong base from Frank Connor and his return was forgettable, but the highs he gave us were on a different scale to anything seen before or since. 

Hugely this

Not disrespect John  McGlynn who has done a phenomenal  job a the club and that comes from someone who had his doubts about him but after close to 60 years following the Rovers Sir Jimmy is the man but John McGlynn runs a good 2nd

If Dundee don’t win in Inverness on Tuesday a draw will do us at Dens on Saturday. The big question is injuries. We play that team today at Dens and I think we lose. Add in Frankie and Macca and then one of Vaughan/gullan and we are a different prospect. Second would be massive and it’s not a huge impossibility that we go all the way. 

Also, I fucking love SJM. Club legend is thrown about a lot but he is absolutely that.