The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 goals, 21 yellows and 1 red....in 83 games. So averaged a goal per 16.5 games, a yellow every 4 games and a red every 83.
For us it’s about a goal every 25 games, a yellow every 3.9 games and a red every 38 games.
The weird thing is that people think it's because he's a local guy that people get annoyed or dislike him. Those figures for us are poor. He's undoubtedly been a good servant with the length of time he's been with us but he's also let the club down far too many times. At 37 he's still making stupid mistakes. The Inverness game is a prime example. I don't think the original red was deserved but his actions after let everyone down. We are now a man less for the next 4 games due to him not learning from previous mistakes with that. A

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, TxRover said:
5 goals, 21 yellows and 1 red....in 83 games. So averaged a goal per 16.5 games, a yellow every 4 games and a red every 83.
For us it’s about a goal every 25 games, a yellow every 3.9 games and a red every 38 games.

The weird thing is that people think it's because he's a local guy that people get annoyed or dislike him. Those figures for us are poor. He's undoubtedly been a good servant with the length of time he's been with us but he's also let the club down far too many times. At 37 he's still making stupid mistakes. The Inverness game is a prime example. I don't think the original red was deserved but his actions after let everyone down. We are now a man less for the next 4 games due to him not learning from previous mistakes with that. A

It is the ultimate sad note to Davo's otherwise brillant term with us, that he simply could not be relied upon to remain in control. I just wonder if he'll play for us again...he should be eligible for Tuesday and the last two matches in the League (plus playoffs), but do we dare play him?

It wouldn't even be as bad if the reds were picked up going about his defensive duties but so many of them are for reckless, immature or ridiculous reasons.

Although I think he's a better player than many do on here, I can't argue that his ability as a player outweighs these moments. He's not Sergio Ramos.

Edited by Lang Toun Lad

It is the ultimate sad note to Davo's otherwise brillant term with us, that he simply could not be relied upon to remain in control. I just wonder if he'll play for us again...he should be eligible for Tuesday and the last two matches in the League (plus playoffs), but do we dare play him?
"brilliant" isn't a term I'd use there. A couple of relegations, the aforementioned disciplinary issues later and we are pretty much where we were for the most if his time with us. I'd play him on Tuesday though. He could be of use once his ban is up and it will give him game time while resting bene or musonda.
It wouldn't even be as bad if the reds were picked up going about his defensive duties but so many of them are for reckless, immature or ridiculous reasons.
Although I think he's a better player than many do on here, I can't argue that his ability as a player outweighs these moments. He's not Sergio Ramos.
Iv never thought davo is a terrible player per se. Its his lapse in concentration and lack of judgement in situations such as against Inverness that has had me wanting him gone for the past couple seasons. Iv always backed him when he's representing us on the pitch though and will continue to do so for as long as he is with us.

Undoubtedly Davidson deserves his 500th appearance, it’s an incredible achievement in modern day football. It’s just a bit of a shame that he’s racked up those appearances through a thoroughly uninspiring era for the club, and he can’t stop getting sent off for daft stuff.

Undoubtedly Davidson deserves his 500th appearance, it’s an incredible achievement in modern day football. It’s just a bit of a shame that he’s racked up those appearances through a thoroughly uninspiring era for the club, and he can’t stop getting sent off for daft stuff.
A fine summation of my overall point hank.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

4 hours ago, grumswall said:

"brilliant" isn't a term I'd use there. A couple of relegations, the aforementioned disciplinary issues later and we are pretty much where we were for the most if his time with us. I'd play him on Tuesday though. He could be of use once his ban is up and it will give him game time while resting bene or musonda. Iv never thought davo is a terrible player per se. Its his lapse in concentration and lack of judgement in situations such as against Inverness that has had me wanting him gone for the past couple seasons. Iv always backed him when he's representing us on the pitch though and will continue to do so for as long as he is with us.

I think that 11 seasons of generally solid defending is pretty brilliant at the levels we regularly find ourselves at. He’s been a pretty solid CB the majority of the time, excepting the noted mental farts, so we are better of for having had him.

11 hours ago, TxRover said:

Looks like it, thanks for catching the error!

What are the stats for  Shaun Dennis, and he gets bonus points for lamping Gerry Britton

Edited by Beastie Russell

What about Dougie Hill for showing that little Dunfermline creep the error of his ways. I often wonder if Dougie was waiting on him after the game His name was Falkingham or something similar.
Wee Josh still got you raging?

Dougie Hill was sent off 7 times in his 5 and a half seasons with us so probably a worse disciplinary record than Davo given the time spent at the club. Both aggressive defenders who play on the edge which is both their strength and weakness, it means they were decent defenders for us overall but punctuated with moments of infuriating stupidity.

As funny as the Dougie Hill/Falkingham photo is, I’d have enjoyed it a lot more if the incident hadn’t actually put us down to 9 men with 45 minutes to play in a derby we lost.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Dougie Hill was sent off 7 times in his 5 and a half seasons with us so probably a worse disciplinary record than Davo given the time spent at the club. Both aggressive defenders who play on the edge which is both their strength and weakness, it means they were decent defenders for us overall but punctuated with moments of infuriating stupidity.

As funny as the Dougie Hill/Falkingham photo is, I’d have enjoyed it a lot more if the incident hadn’t actually put us down to 9 men with 45 minutes to play in a derby we lost.

That red card was the start of a run of 3 red cards in 9 games. He also got 3 the following season and he managed one while out at loan to Brechin for us.

As good a player as Hill was for us in general, he was worse than Davo when it comes to indiscipline.

Even world class players lose the nut from time to time. 

I think just looking at the numerical data 🤓 of Davo's yellow and reds doesn't give you the full story.

How many of his bookings were "taking one for the team" or sending a wee twerp up in the air in retaliation which would have had folk cheering from the stands.  I am not asking you to break down every booking!
I am also not saying sometimes(often) it wasn't ill judged but just throwing stats about isn't going to paint the full picture of his discipline.

He can end his loyal service to the club if that is indeed what it turns out to be by scoring the winner in the playoffs.  Think we will all forgive a few red cards for throwing elbows then.

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Always used to look forward to Kyle Benedictus turning up at TFS.

I can recall at least two red cards for him here, can anyone confirm if there were others?

2 away at Falkirk during 15/16 season, 1 at home to Ayr during 16/17 and 1 away at Falkirk last season where we won the league.

My favourite Iain Davidson red card was when he smashed the ball off Robert Snodgrass's heid after the play had stopped. He had a split second of contemplation before going for it anyway. Pretty sure he trudged off the pitch right away. Incredible stuff. I'm never actually sure if that Stirling team were any good or we were just exceptionally mediocre with a team half filled up with loanees as McGlynn steadied the ship. Certainly, they had a far more vocal support on here keen to give it big licks who have disappeared now they've descended down the leagues. 

Gary Locke's second game, a friendly up at Brechin, barely a minute on the clock and Davo T-bones Dougie Hill into the main stand.

You could hear Dougie gasping as he struggled for breath, Davo trots off as if nothing had happened.

I asked him about it after the game and he said 'Dougie would have done the same to me' then he walked away no fucks having been given.