The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Paco said:

Gullan has a problem in that he’s only ever looked any good for us playing wide left, where Kennedy currently has the jersey sewn up, or as part of a last season’s front three that we just don’t play anymore. Right wing or number ten are the only available areas and he’s never looked upto much in either of them, and I don’t see him becoming a lone striker.

Armstrong has been poor of late but also deserves credit for a terrific work-rate and constantly looking for the ball. Certainly can’t be accused of hiding. If he’d just leave set-pieces alone I don’t think we’d be calling for him to be left out with the same gusto.

I’d possibly be tinkering with the formation, I feel we’re still playing the system that suited us at the start of the season despite a glut of new forward options now but I’m not sure McGlynn will be as keen. The midfield three of Hendry/Spencer/Matthews have completely controlled the last two home games, territory must’ve been 80/20 in both, but we just don’t feel too likely to create much and whipping crosses in all game isn’t a guaranteed route to goals.

As good a midfield 3 that we have had since the halcyon days of the early to mid 90's. They're all a good age with plenty in front of them, sincerely hope we can hold on to them and build a team around them because all 3 have the ability to play Premier League football. 

8 hours ago, Paco said:

Gullan has a problem in that he’s only ever looked any good for us playing wide left, where Kennedy currently has the jersey sewn up, or as part of a last season’s front three that we just don’t play anymore. Right wing or number ten are the only available areas and he’s never looked upto much in either of them, and I don’t see him becoming a lone striker.

Armstrong has been poor of late but also deserves credit for a terrific work-rate and constantly looking for the ball. Certainly can’t be accused of hiding. If he’d just leave set-pieces alone I don’t think we’d be calling for him to be left out with the same gusto.

I’d possibly be tinkering with the formation, I feel we’re still playing the system that suited us at the start of the season despite a glut of new forward options now but I’m not sure McGlynn will be as keen. The midfield three of Hendry/Spencer/Matthews have completely controlled the last two home games, territory must’ve been 80/20 in both, but we just don’t feel too likely to create much and whipping crosses in all game isn’t a guaranteed route to goals.

Armstrong’s work rate is fine, but the utter futility of his crosses and set pieces versus Ayr simply have brought to a head the need to try something else. The best solution to Gullan would likely be giving a Kennedy an occasional rest, but versus ICT Kennedy is an asset we want playing.

So let’s play Gullan behind Ugwu or Abraham, with Kennedy on the left and maybe Tait on the right. Hendry and Matthews in the middle, with Tumilty/Musonda/Bene/KMac as the back line. It’s not our preferred style, but we need something up top, and I think Musonda for Davo is a positive change plus it gives Davo a needed rest. Frankie can then spell Bene in the return fixture, and we can adjust the attacking plan depending on the results from tomorrow.

59 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Armstrong’s work rate is fine, but the utter futility of his crosses and set pieces versus Ayr simply have brought to a head the need to try something else. The best solution to Gullan would likely be giving a Kennedy an occasional rest, but versus ICT Kennedy is an asset we want playing.

So let’s play Gullan behind Ugwu or Abraham, with Kennedy on the left and maybe Tait on the right. Hendry and Matthews in the middle, with Tumilty/Musonda/Bene/KMac as the back line. It’s not our preferred style, but we need something up top, and I think Musonda for Davo is a positive change plus it gives Davo a needed rest. Frankie can then spell Bene in the return fixture, and we can adjust the attacking plan depending on the results from tomorrow.

You keep coming up with all these plans but that's not the way McGlynn usually does it. If past form is anything to go by there'll be very few changes, maybe none at all. And why does Davo need a rest?

That’s certainly not the worst suggestion for a line up, but I wouldn’t play Abraham. So far, for me, he’s been pretty frustrating to watch, his inexperience is shining through massively. This isn’t a game for him. Next game I’d like him to see play would be Stirling in the SC. Gozie or Duku for me on Friday, and Gullan to start some where...

1 hour ago, Beachbum said:

You keep coming up with all these plans but that's not the way McGlynn usually does it. If past form is anything to go by there'll be very few changes, maybe none at all. And why does Davo need a rest?

With Mendy off, we have three CB’s...one is ancient, and a rest might be prudent, another has played damn near every minute...

It is perfectly foreseeable now that with Mendy away for three weeks(!) that Benedictus is going to get injured and Davidson will be sent off this evening, thus leaving us short at the back. 

Seriously, three weeks to play two games: absolute chancers this Guinea-Bissau lot. 

36 minutes ago, Michael W said:

It is perfectly foreseeable now that with Mendy away for three weeks(!) that Benedictus is going to get injured and Davidson will be sent off this evening, thus leaving us short at the back. 

Seriously, three weeks to play two games: absolute chancers this Guinea-Bissau lot. 

They’re taking the Biss.

22 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Do tell...check the ICT line-up.

I had Matthews vice King...I’m dying to see how they line up!

Edited by TxRover

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Do tell...check the ICT line-up.

I had Matthews vice King...I’m dying to see how they line up!

After reading the commentary and such, I’m not looking forward to the “highlights”.

32 minutes ago, renton said:

Is it wrong that I'm still shiting it for relegation far more than the prospect of missing a top 4 finish

31 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

No but on the flip side we are probably 3 wins away from being able to relax.

You can relax folks.  I think Rovers have 9 games left and there is no way you will pick up zero points from those 9 games - it just won't happen.  Similarly, the sides in the lowest places just now ain't gonna win all their remaining games.  I think any side breaking through the 30 points barrier this season will be safe - hope to hell Queens can do it today.  Thought Rovers looked decent last night, just need to start taking chances but that will come.  Keep the faith.