The New Raith Rovers Thread

Last season I was firmly of the opinion that McGlynn didn't care for big Dave. Then I heard at the start of the season that he is seen as as a long term part of the Rovers defence and that the gaffer was looking to pair him up with a  quality young centre half.  Sadly the other centre half went elsewhere but I don't think that changes anything for McKay so I think he'll be here next season unless the injury repair has failed.....which I don't think it has.

Last season I was firmly of the opinion that McGlynn didn't care for big Dave. Then I heard at the start of the season that he is seen as as a long term part of the Rovers defence and that the gaffer was looking to pair him up with a  quality young centre half.  Sadly the other centre half went elsewhere but I don't think that changes anything for McKay so I think he'll be here next season unless the injury repair has failed.....which I don't think it has.

A quality young centre half like Tom Lang, perhaps.

47 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
2 hours ago, Scottydog said:

A quality young centre half like Tom Lang, perhaps.

Nah it was someone else but we supposedly couldn't afford him. 

2 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I must have missed that particular comment from McGlynn. I was still under the same impression that McGlynn didn’t really care for him and he was probably lucky to get another year in the first place. He was certainly seen as a bit of a back up central defender/auxiliary right back in League One so I couldn’t see where he would fit in a season where we’ll again probably be trying to be fight it out at the right end of the Championship.

Edited by Enigma

5 hours ago, Enigma said:

McKay’s contract is up in the summer. I’m not convinced he’ll be here next season.

I’m on the fence, as his state of recovery will be key. Based upon JMcG’s comments, he may play a few games, or at least practice with the team a bit, before May ends...

Edited by TxRover

39 minutes ago, Raithie said:

That's a relief. We'll need adaquate CCTV to keep an eye on the walloper Old Firm fans when we're promoted this season.

Was looking at the table the other day and did think it would be funny if we went up with Hearts through the play-offs. Some Jambos might spontaneously combust with rage. 

Still very much an outside bet that we’ll even make the play-offs I suspect, but we can dream. 

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

Was looking at the table the other day and did think it would be funny if we went up with Hearts through the play-offs. Some Jambos might spontaneously combust with rage. 

Still very much an outside bet that we’ll even make the play-offs I suspect, but we can dream. 

What would make it even funnier is if the seaside leagues get null and voided. The seethe from the  Grangemouth area would be fantastic 

2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

I diagree. There five  clubs - Dundee Dunfermline Invernes Ayr and ourselves jostling for the play-off spots. I don't see that we're rank outsiders in the stakes at all.

Edited by Raith_Raver

1 minute ago, Raith_Raver said:

I diagree. There five  clubs - Dundee Dunfermline Invernes Ayr and ourselves jostling for the play-off spots. I don't see that we're rank outsiders in the stakes at all.

Agree with that. When you look at how Mcglynn was backed in the transfer window, especially compared to some of those clubs, we should be looking to finish in the top 4.

Talking to the fans Dir' yesterday sounded a little to me as if those within the club are quietly upbeat about our chances of a high finish also.

I was trying to worm any info out of him regarding signings/re-signings (nothin doing there btw) or anything else he could divulge and although I'd doubt they'll publicly say so, reading between the lines it sounds as though the club is more looking upwards than downwards.

As per.. no promoted club ever says anything other than they are looking for survival/consolidation in their 1st season and officially I doubt Rovers will either until it's mathematically impossible to be relegated, even then we'll still get the usual line about  finishing as high as possible with little or no talk about play-offs let alone promotion until it actually happens.

Regarding players, It's tough for the clubs in such a tight league as this, you cant offer contracts if you aren't 100% sure what league you will be in. Any of the top 7 will have ambitions to feature in the promotion play-offs and hopefully be a top flight team the following season. Meanwhile with only 10 points separating 2nd top and 2nd bottom most if not all of the teams below Hearts are aware that if results dip then they could be in a play-ff at the wrong end and even relegated (as we found out). The difference in quality of targeted players hinges on those outcomes. This makes player like Lang a massive gamble... if we are to somehow go up! 

League status massively impacts not only who you can bring in but who you can entice to stay.  FWIW I reckon we'll lose Hendry, Duku and Musonda to other clubs but the big question is to whom?  In my book most  of the clubs I'd consider likeliest to sign them aren't hugely bigger than us (Livingstone, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Hamilton, Kilmarnock, Ross County or possibly Dunfermline, Dundee  even to a lesser extent along with Motherwell and Dundee Utd) while it's true that many of these clubs currently have more money than us that can mostly be attributed to the higher leagues higher away gates (normally), more prize money and (in the case of Ross Co) wealthy board members.  Perhaps less so with 'Well, Killie and Utd but teams like Ross Co, St Johnston, Hamilton and Livvi certainly don't (normally) command big home gates (none massively if any bigger than ours) so other than their top flight built in ability to pay a bit higher wages I fail to see any attraction. Of course Reagan and Co will be hoping for a bigger fish such as Aberdeen or Hibs (maybe Dundee Utd or Motherwell) but are they good enough?  Just to be clear I'm not saying Rovers are bigger/the same size as any/all of these clubs just that they (the SPL clubs) are all only able to pay higher wages due to their league status......at present.  Most of the SPL clubs are in exactly the same boat as us only their boat is a league up.  For that reason in the likely event that they don't recommit to Rovers before hand I think it'll be nearer June than January before the Rovers Trio announce where they will be plying their trade next season.  I think all three were hopeful of being made offers in January and those either haven't happened or they are keeping their cards close to their chests.

Sadly with players it's almost always down to cash and to keep/sign the players McGlynn wants I think we probably need a 50% increase in the wages budget, and just about the only way we'd get that is if Rovers could somehow get promoted and become one of that bottom 6 crowd, unlikely perhaps if maybe not entirely beyond us.

The teams above us can offer greater wages and a chance to play in the top league. That's all they need.

You’re not wrong but outside of Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and possibly Motherwell there’s really not a huge difference in terms of club size. St Johnstone and Kilmarnock have done exceptionally well to stay up for so long when they’ve probably got similar if not smaller supports than Dundee, Falkirk and Dunfermline. Realistically any full time team in Scotland could achieve Premiership with the right manager and a bit of good dealings in the transfer market.

I’m delighted if our board are showing a bit of ambition as long as we don’t start spending money we’ve not got and put the club at risk. Since the late 90s we’ve come to accept we’re a mid table Championship side at best but we shouldn’t. This season so far has shown we can compete with the better teams and if the likes of Accies and Livingston can do it then why can we. No expectations let’s just enjoy the ride this season.