The New Raith Rovers Thread

16 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If he's signing a pre contract I'd rather we looked to move him on in January if at all possible in that case. Even a few thousand is better than nothing. 

If we beat Queens we're pretty much safe so we should then be trying to get whatever we can for players who will otherwise leave in the summer. 

I don't agree. Look what happened with Ross Callachan - we took the money and it costs us far more in the long run. 

Unless we were to receive a large sum (and I'm talking £100k here, which no-one is going to pay for a player with six months left) we should keep him. The difference in prize money is pretty stark in this league between 4th and 7th.

We aren't going to win the league, but should be aiming to finish as high as possible. 

I think Spencer can still do a good job for us to be honest were we to lose Hendry (which I don’t think we should). He was brilliant last season and when he comes on and plays his actual position he has good influence on the game. Granted he’s not played a full game in the championship yet, but still a classy player I think we can rely on if needed.

22 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Sure, and your thoughts?

McKay is a huge step down from Frankie, dropping Hendry because there are assumptions he'll be away in January is mental, Armstrong is far from just a utility player and if fit will play every week, Smith is injury prone and Mahady/Ugwu have barely, if at all, kicked a ball for us to assume they can fill the void if Duku leaves. Oh and Mendy will be punted the minute his contract is up. 

On 26/12/2020 at 11:32, Enigma said:

I’ve been told the Saturday Sports Show on K107 has a really good interview with Vaughan and Davo today. Both talking about their respective injuries and also some insights into playing under Locke, Hughes and Barry Smith. You can listen live but I usually catch up during the week.

Any link mate? Had a wee look and couldn’t find anything...

Can't believe there's even  half serious chat about Hendry leaving in January. If he goes, it'll be the Summer, pre contract or no.

His utility to Raith Rovers is on the pitch, not his resale value. We didn't develop him as a youth player and he's not on a multi year contract. Peanuts now is not worth the prize money reduction or relegation in the Summer. Same goes for Duku or Masonda or anyone else.

I haven't been greatly impressed with Lars so far. His goal on Saturday looked more down to the keeper's hands covered in lard. I suppose to be fair  he's only come on for the last half hour of games. I would like to see what Ugwu can do, whats the problem with him not getting on?

I haven't been greatly impressed with Lars so far. His goal on Saturday looked more down to the keeper's hands covered in lard. I suppose to be fair  he's only come on for the last half hour of games. I would like to see what Ugwu can do, whats the problem with him not getting on?
Same regarding lokotsch. Ugwu has been injured/ regaining fitness. That and duku being on form has meant he hasn't had a look in.

Some fans are really intent on eking out a scapegoat from this superb team we have. Mendy, Loko have both scored despite almost always being a substitute this season. They're contributing. 
This call for Ugwu is fast becoming of "get the Spanish boy oan!" proportions 
Being the one who started the mendy chat yesterday...

I wasn't meaning to be as negative as it has came across. I defended him last season as I seen the exact traits people point out as being his strongest when on the pitch. Having seen him a little more, it's evident he isn't the finished article. For a player his age it is unlikely he will develop enough to be considered a regular starter. He is big and strong but doesn't know how to shape himself in the challenge, which resulted in the penalty yesterday. Buchanan bought it because he recognised these signs. He also put pressure on Thomson with a slack pass, which thankfully Robbie was sharp enough to get to. Thomson is another who has good aspects to his game but macdonald is quite clearly a better player. There were another few examples of slack passing which a better team, or an Alloa team at full strength would have taken advantage of. It's absolutely natural for fans to dissect the good as well as the bad.

On lokotsch, he quite clearly doesn't suit the style we play when we have duku on. I think he would be perfect in a two up top and he subsequently suffers because he is coming on as a sub and we have been playing a certain way, meaning the attack has to adjust. Ugwu hasnt been seen yet, so we are obviously curious to see if he is capable.

There isn't a single player that has played so far that hasn't done a job for us. We always demand more as fans though and can spot a weak link rather than "looking for a scapegoat"

9 hours ago, renton said:

Can't believe there's even  half serious chat about Hendry leaving in January. If he goes, it'll be the Summer, pre contract or no.

His utility to Raith Rovers is on the pitch, not his resale value. We didn't develop him as a youth player and he's not on a multi year contract. Peanuts now is not worth the prize money reduction or relegation in the Summer. Same goes for Duku or Masonda or anyone else.

If Livi are in for him, we usually do a permanent signing with a small fee 20k or so, 10-15% sell on and a loan back for the rest of the season. 

Surely we won’t be seeing offers for all of our best players since we’re 3rd in the league not 1st. 
Hendry can’t sign a pre contract until the end of January either as he’s still 22 
It will depend when his contract is up, rather than his age surely?