The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Meh, they could but I'm less bothered about the seeding being decided by group records and if all 8 are going through anyway it's a bit daft to have them play off for something where losers advance anyway. You could very easily get one beat another for seeding then drawn against each other again the next round and an entirely reversed result.

I don't think there'd be any appetite for group winners to play off for something as trivial as a seeding.

You are probably right regarding appetite, but if you don’t think it is fair or easy to call the four best 2nd places teams based on the reasons given then surely you can’t simultaneously identify the four best winners?

3 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Hate the League Cup since it went to this crappy group stage nonsense.  The fact that this has probably been our best year and we’ve still zero chance of progressing sums it up. 

Is your dislike of it not related to not progressing though? The likelihood is this year you're going to do well in the league, and in turn be seeded next year, giving you a good chance of progression. 

I wasn't a humongous fan of the league Cup before truthfully, in my head I've got memories of getting knocked out on a Tuesday night with barely any fans in attendance, at least in it's current guise clubs will find it easier to set a budget. But then my enjoyment of the current set up is linked to how well Dunfermline have done in it recently, undoubtedly if we'd been poor I would've enjoyed it less. 

24 minutes ago, ribzanelli said:

You are probably right regarding appetite, but if you don’t think it is fair or easy to call the four best 2nd places teams based on the reasons given then surely you can’t simultaneously identify the four best winners?

The group winners seeding is only about practicalities for the draw though, they all go through. With the runners up you either get through or you're out. It's not a comparable importance.

Yes, it's just as inequitable but it's not as crucial. I can't see clubs giving themselves an extra fixture and extra suspension opportunities just to decide who is seeded and to be honest I don't see fans buying in to attending it either. It's meaningless. Win, you get through. Lose, you get through.

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Is your dislike of it not related to not progressing though? The likelihood is this year you're going to do well in the league, and in turn be seeded next year, giving you a good chance of progression. 

I wasn't a humongous fan of the league Cup before truthfully, in my head I've got memories of getting knocked out on a Tuesday night with barely any fans in attendance, at least in it's current guise clubs will find it easier to set a budget. But then my enjoyment of the current set up is linked to how well Dunfermline have done in it recently, undoubtedly if we'd been poor I would've enjoyed it less. 

That doesn’t help obviously. We have been mince since it changed and if we finish second  in this group I think that might be our highest ever finish. But even if we’d progressed I’d still prefer it to be changed.  Feel the same way about the Champions League set-up. Loads of dull meaningless group games and the same sides prevail.  Takes away what’s good about football. Maybe it’s an age thing but I’ve great memories of the League Cup when it was knockout and not just the glory of 94. Ah well, seems I’m in the minority so will just have to wait it out until the clubs decide this version is stale. 

2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

That doesn’t help obviously. We have been mince since it changed and if we finish second  in this group I think that might be our highest ever finish. But even if we’d progressed I’d still prefer it to be changed.  Feel the same way about the Champions League set-up. Loads of dull meaningless group games and the same sides prevail.  Takes away what’s good about football. Maybe it’s an age thing but I’ve great memories of the League Cup when it was knockout and not just the glory of 94. Ah well, seems I’m in the minority so will just have to wait it out until the clubs decide this version is stale. 

If it makes you feel any better, even those who want the group stages can't agree on the best guise for them, there's never going to be a solution that pleases everybody sadly. 

Undoubtedly, it will change again in the future. In the most recent version of the knockout league Cup was it not seeded in the later rounds anyway? 

3 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

To me it just takes away what is great about cup football - the chance for shocks. The bigger teams will 9 times out of 10 progress so you’re left with the final rounds of the League Cup being the same old mix of top tier teams. Yes it brings more income but what are lower league fans going to remember in twenty years time? The two matches against higher league clubs that boosted their income one season or the night they beat Hibs on penalties in a straight knock-out match. There’s no contest.

I go back to last night. After we both lost to Hearts the penalty shoot-out was reduced to who could be the better also-ran in the group. If that was a knock-out game the players would have went daft at the end and we’d still be reminiscing about it in ten years time. 

I agree with the excitement angle regarding the penalty shoot out  but if we'd won the game outright I think the guys would have been much more upbeat about the win, I know I would have.

I think we have to look at the League Cup competition historically, the format has almost never been the same as the Scottish Cup mostly as the SFL that be have always tried to make it if not unique then less like it's more prestigious SFA counterpart.

When I first started following the Rovers in the 1970's all LC games were a 2 legged affair home and away (not much chance of an upset there for wee teams) which went for every round up to and including the semi finals, the final being the only single game unless it went to a replay. The group stages were re-introduced in the 1980's for a spell before being phased out for a single H or A tie just like the Scottish.

The removal of award of the European place for the winners massively cheapened the competition and like it's EFL neighbour over the border it has lost much of its prestige as a competition in the whole.

Change is always possible but if you consider they cant even sort out a decent format for the challenge cup I wouldn't hope for great things in making the LC more attractive.

I've always maintained that if league reconstruction was to happen the inclusion of additional games (and associated income there from) due to group stages could be used to offset playing less games in a league season with bigger leagues. e.g 16 teams in a league would play 15 home and 15 away = 30 games (6 fewer than a 10 team league) but if the group stages had 5 teams meeting H & A then it'd be a minimum LC campaign of 4 home games.  This of course will never happen as the SPFL needs Sky tv money and that's only on offer for a minimum of 4 Ugly sister balls a year.

5 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

It's generally been seeded I think - we were memorably unseeded while holders. That was why we got Celtic again in an early round: Rougier scored the free kick that wasn't filmed, and we lost after kicking the ball out for an injured Celtic player - they kept possession and scored.

There would have been a f****** riot if that had have happened the other way round.

I don't enjoy the group stage but pre season friendlies were also rubbish. 

Big teams are doubly favoured as seeds AND avoiding the tightrope of one off games. This plus no european incentive makes it a pointless cup. It's just one more chance for you-know-who to play each other on the t.v. 

Devil's advocate on the 2nd place ranking though - games would be worse and less competitive if you could cruise through in 2nd. You'd have genuine dead runners and mutually convenient draws.

22 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I think Davo's injury might be more serious than was  thought.

I wonder if there is a loanee coming?

Presumably Keiran MacDonald can come back in, and Masonda can move back into the centre, leaving a spare defender on the bench.

Any idea if Gozie Ugwu is near a comeback or if he even exists?

Edited by renton