The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, RR #1 said:

Desperate to get back into Starks to see this team. Never thought I'd be saying that two years ago. Was genuinely considering finding something better to do with my Saturdays by the time Smith left. Since the return of the current management team we have just gotten better and better. 

Every player has played well over the 4 games but that midfield 3 of Tait, Hendry and Mathews is just wonderful, without doubt the best Rovers midfield since the mid 90s

We are reaping the benefits of letting Mcglynn (and Smith) build his team over a couple of seasons. He wasn't a quick fix, but has been building things up again and trying to create an actual team, not a collection of individuals. 

It's absolutely night and day to what came before him.

Most importantly, this is a very likeable bunch of players. Such a refreshing change. 

1 minute ago, grumswall said:
6 minutes ago, TxRover said:
Tait wasn’t booked...but had a yellow in the two Betfred matches. Only Tumilty booked today.

I forgot we were on cup duty next. Good chance to maybe get some game time for Spencer or Vaughan if fit.

Might be a chance to start Coulson for Ross and Mendy for Davo at the least...better to save players for the League.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Might be a chance to start Coulson for Ross and Mendy for Davo at the least...better to save players for the League.

Yeah we should be looking at changing it up for these two Cup games to give a few players a rest over the two matches. 

We can technically still go through if we win both matches but I'm not really sure what the benefit is other than keeping the forward momentum. 

I would be giving Robbie Thomson both matches also.

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah we should be looking at changing it up for these two Cup games to give a few players a rest over the two matches. 

We can technically still go through if we win both matches but I'm not really sure what the benefit is other than keeping the forward momentum. 

Very smart idea. Clear the bench and rest all we can.

33 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

£45,000 prize money?

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I didn't appreciate it was as much as that I must admit. 

£45k is for 2nd round losers. To be fair you'll get something like half of that for not getting through £27k for 2nd but not progressing. £23k for 3rd, £21.5k for 4th, £20k for bottom. So I suppose the marginal benefit is only around £20k, though there's the opportunity to go further of course. If you could actually win in the next round you'd get another £30k.

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Aye. We've never got through to the next round of the league cup since the inception of the group stages. Need to get our first win against Caley in about 20 years and beat Cowdenbeath to do that though. 

It's not a massive ask considering Robertson's already said he plans to play all his reserves. Cowdenbeath have won one game all season.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not a massive ask considering Robertson's already said he plans to play all his reserves. Cowdenbeath have won one game all season.

You say that, but I've seen our first team torn apart by Ayr United's under 20s at Cappielow (Somerset had issues with floodlights) in a cup game before. It's exactly the type of situation where we'll implode. But then, we've been excellent this season so far. 

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

You say that, but I've seen our first team torn apart by Ayr United's under 20s at Cappielow (Somerset had issues with floodlights) in a cup game before. It's exactly the type of situation where we'll implode. But then, we've been excellent this season so far. 

I remember that game. Mark Campbell's brother Martyn coming to take a throw-in and some wag down the front shouting 'I'm fucking glad we never signed the shite one'

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

£45k is for 2nd round losers. To be fair you'll get something like half of that for not getting through £27k for 2nd but not progressing. £23k for 3rd, £21.5k for 4th, £20k for bottom. So I suppose the marginal benefit is only around £20k, though there's the opportunity to go further of course. If you could actually win in the next round you'd get another £30k.

The problem is: Starting LB and a starting CB are injured, three attackers (including our #1 and #2) are injured, and several others have mild niggles...including our other starting CB. Not sure it’s not worth the rest.

Just now, Zen Archer Esq. said:

I remember that game. Mark Campbell's brother Martyn coming to take a throw-in and some wag down the front shouting 'I'm fucking glad we never signed the shite one'

It was a really surreal atmosphere. There were about a dozen Rovers fans and Ayr Ragazzi. Eric Drysdale had to go to the fans before the game asking if anyone fancied being a ball boy. 

Benefit is cash in the bank and the possibility of a televised match.

Worth saying we don’t have a game scheduled on last 16 day anyway (28th November).

We probably do have to win both matches to do it, although a penalties victory over ICT and a thumping of Cowden may well work too.

Going to be down to the bare bones though. Davidson probably injured, Tait suspended and Lars cup-tied, in addition to Macca/McKay/Vaughan/Smith/Ugwu who all missed today. Might only manage a few subs.

59 minutes ago, Paco said:

Worth saying we don’t have a game scheduled on last 16 day anyway (28th November).

We probably do have to win both matches to do it, although a penalties victory over ICT and a thumping of Cowden may well work too.

Going to be down to the bare bones though. Davidson probably injured, Tait suspended and Lars cup-tied, in addition to Macca/McKay/Vaughan/Smith/Ugwu who all missed today. Might only manage a few subs.

I think we probably left Duku on the bench today so he's fine for Tuesday. Wouldn't surprise me if Gozie on the bench on Tuesday too.

A few Falkirk fans getting steamed up that we are League leaders. Still deluded in thinking we were gash last season.
Lovely![emoji23]
Are yous? Never knew that tbh, never check the scores in championship, id rather yous win than Dunfermline, not all Falkirk fans are bitter, it was what it was last season, no one could see a global pandemic

What a great management team!

The gaffer has been absent for medical reasons for the opening 4 league games yet we are sitting top on 10 points. Kudos to Smudger, had we lost most of those games there would have been an outcry on here requesting news on John McGlynn..........but there isn’t!

John   who?

just kidding gaffer! 😂