The New Raith Rovers Thread

58 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Still no sign of Vaughan, Musounda or Spencer in today’s squad. Ugwu is also not included after being taken off injured early in the win v Stenny.

Abductor strain is what the RaithTV lads just said (for Ugwu).

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Still no sign of Frankie Musonda today, and Mendy returning to the bench means it's the return of the back four. 

I'd guess it's a 4-2-3-1 with Duku on his own again now that Ugwu's injured. It could potentially be a 4-4-2 with Anderson up front, but I don't see it. 

Seven subs; two goalkeepers, two trialists and three "reserves" in Mendy, Coulson and Smith. We could really do with some of these "minor" injuries clearing up. 

4-4-2 is what the commentary calls it.

11 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I know these are unprecedented times for planning a pre-season, but any more injuries and there are some serious questions for McGlynn and the strength & conditioning team. I'm not hearing about other teams losing players to muscle strains left and right. 

But you don't pay as close attention to other teams though do you? There could well be numerous hamstring strains, both left AND right 

55 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I know these are unprecedented times for planning a pre-season, but any more injuries and there are some serious questions for McGlynn and the strength & conditioning team. I'm not hearing about other teams losing players to muscle strains left and right. 

God it’s good to see you’re optimistic, a few injuries and you’re questioning the management, get a grip. 

So, some interesting stuff we’ve seen:

Ugwu - Not enough to properly judge, but showed nice pace in limited viewing.

Mahady - No basis for judgment.

Duku - Looks to be a good pest in the box. Finishing seems a bit rough, but appears serviceable.

Musonda - No basis for judgement.

Coulson - Shows some nice potential, perhaps one to watch.

Mendy - Massively improved, but still concerns about positioning...played on left side with Davo today.

Tumilty - Looks excellent in the team, hopefully just a mild strain today.

Smith - Looks a threat, certainly developing nicely.

JMac - Very happy with his play, seems to mesh well with the backline.

Bene and Davo - Still concerned if they are up to the task, but seem to have rounded into shape nicely.

What else?

18 minutes ago, TxRover said:

So, some interesting stuff we’ve seen:

Ugwu - Not enough to properly judge, but showed nice pace in limited viewing.

Mahady - No basis for judgment.

Duku - Looks to be a good pest in the box. Finishing seems a bit rough, but appears serviceable.

Musonda - No basis for judgement.

Coulson - Shows some nice potential, perhaps one to watch.

Mendy - Massively improved, but still concerns about positioning...played on left side with Davo today.

Tumilty - Looks excellent in the team, hopefully just a mild strain today.

Smith - Looks a threat, certainly developing nicely.

JMac - Very happy with his play, seems to mesh well with the backline.

Bene and Davo - Still concerned if they are up to the task, but seem to have rounded into shape nicely.

What else?

I suspect any judgements, based on audio only evidence from friendlies against mostly dross, is a tad premature.

30 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Certainly agree on the whole, however we can draw some useful information from the friendlies.

I used to think that, but I really struggle to see much in them these days beyond the pure fitness aspect. Especially now that the league Cup group stage forces the friendlies to be earlier and more focused purely on getting game minutes. 

3 minutes ago, renton said:

I used to think that, but I really struggle to see much in them these days beyond the pure fitness aspect. Especially now that the league Cup group stage forces the friendlies to be earlier and more focused purely on getting game minutes. 

The things we can see are how players we’ve brought in act, their manner of play. We can also get a feel for their awareness and skills, regardless of the level of the opponents. Against good players or bad, we can see how a player views themselves playing and if they are selfish or team players. We can also see how existing players seem to have adjusted to arrivals and departures. For instance, Tumilty seems immediately at home with Davo, Bene and Mendy and JMac and the backs seem comfortable. On the either hand, Duku started out in the first couple of matches trying to figure out who would be feeding him and from where...today he was much more at ease. In today’s match, Hendry looked nice and sharp distributing and feeding the attacks. Our finishing overall was a bit sloppy, but I’d attribute that to the early days now, and it’s nice to see lots of balls across the face of the net.

I have very few illusions this is going to be an enjoyable season, it’s likely going to be a nasty slog with lots of distractions.

31 minutes ago, renton said:

I've not even got it in me to go on the windup about other teams friendly results, there's absolutely nothing to be garnered from them with regards to how the season will turn up. 

Edited by Grant228

38 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I've not even got it in me to go on the windup about other teams friendly results, there's absolutely nothing to be garnered from them with regards to how the season will turn up. 

The Queens fans must be enjoying the respite.

Again, Gary Lockes pre season should warn against ever giving a shit about pre season. You learn absolutely zero. The only plus side about this situation is the fans aren't being charged to watch it. 

For context, some people wanted Mcglynn sacked after Cove beat us in the cup last season.