The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

How much of our income is derived from season tickets v pay at the gate? Ultimately we are losing whatever the difference is at the moment although at least the season ticket money allows a fall back (albeit I don't know where we're at v last season). 

We'll so have had 5 months of absolutely zero income from pitch hire which is not good and probably would've been anticipated. No fault of anyone, but the finances aren't going to be looking great and bear in mind Sim is/was an auditor. New signings can't be furloughed either so we are incurring some expenses as well. 

Guess you probably shouldn't have thrown two year deals to sign average players weeks before you even began training then.

Slightly more detail in the FFP, just to say that both Clark and Sim acknowledge that the reason for leaving is "confidential between the club and [Clark]" and that no more will be said. 

Not much that you can read into that beyond what's already been said, so I suppose it's just a case of buckling in and seeing what the future holds. 

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Slightly more detail in the FFP, just to say that both Clark and Sim acknowledge that the reason for leaving is "confidential between the club and [Clark]" and that no more will be said. 

Not much that you can read into that beyond what's already been said, so I suppose it's just a case of buckling in and seeing what the future holds. 

Aye, that's a falling out.

Yeah, quite clearly a falling out. Sim has seen off a fair number of people in bad blood who worked with the club since he joined ‘properly’ upon relegation in 2016. Seems he’s very difficult to work with.

Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily but we don’t know enough to judge. It’s a shame to lose Clark and have the Board dwindled down to four members, including Sim and Sinton who is there at the behest of Sim rather than any other reason.

11 hours ago, grumswall said:

Should just have signed Oliver and Omar who was a massive success at Elgin instead...

If you're attempting to run a very tight ship in the middle of a global pandemic with no guarantee of crowds coming in all season then that's the market you're working in, yes. I wouldn't be handing out two year deals to anyone right now never mind someone who will slightly upgrade the right back position: that's a hostage to fortune that your club has created for itself. 

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

If you're attempting to run a very tight ship in the middle of a global pandemic with no guarantee of crowds coming in all season then that's the market you're working in, yes. I wouldn't be handing out two year deals to anyone right now never mind someone who will slightly upgrade the right back position: that's a hostage to fortune that your club has created for itself. 

As much as I'm not massively comfortable with agreeing with VT he occasionally makes a good point in middle of his ranting. This is one of those times. Quite why any football club, with the degree of uncertainty around at the moment about the future, would start handing out multi season deals to anyone is beyond me. Unless it's a player with a clear onward resale value that they probably can't afford NOT to tie down for longer then it's pure folly.  Or unless it contains a cancellation opt out in the event of football closing itself down again.

We might be fine. We might have Championship sized crowds back by October, we might play an uninterrupted season, all may be well in the world and nobody will bat an eyelid but if we get a second spike, persistent local lockdowns, football closed down again either due to national outbreaks or persistent breaches of required protocols by players, closed doors for the whole season, etc and a Govt that has already ruled out any return of a furlough scheme they clearly can't really afford in the future then there will not be much sympathy for clubs who are left with multi year contracts they can neither fund nor get out of.

We're emerging out the other side of this initial pandemic relatively undamaged. Nobody's gone bust yet. But we did so because the shut down happened about 10 weeks from the end of most contracts and with the Govt picking up payroll costs for everyone for 4 or 5 months. If clubs have to go a medium term length of time again without that cash support then the majority of them won't survive it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

So much for transparency, if it had been a personal reason then fair enough I fully understand but they are not saying it was a personal reason , just that they wish it to remain confidential suggesting it has been a Board room issue. So not so transparent after all.