The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

This is pretty much the short version of what I said earlier for anyone who can't be arsed reading an essay.

@mr alli he's a youngster who is good but will never go for ten million in his career. I would of course love to be wrong and I do think he has a bright future but the chances of him being that level are slim.

Damn, just remembered Tait’s only 1.76m...OK, maybe a bit less!

Have we lined up any preseason friendly matches yet?
Mendy will have to have massively improved if he’s to stay with us or he’ll be out on loan again and probably not be seen in a Rovers shirt.

Yes mate, East Fife, Hearts, Cowden & ICT.

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

No, but I want to remind people that he isn’t a failure yet...we just don’t know. If he was a dismal failure, JMcG would be looking for another CB, given Davo’s (and to an extent, Bene’s) penchant for accumulating cards. We currently have exactly four potential CB starters...Davo, Bene, Musonda and Mendy.

So, if that’s the long and short of it, has JMcG determined that Mendy can’t do the job at CB? Perhaps Mendy is a reserve behind Tumilty and Musonda...but that’s a luxury with out thin CB options. We know that Mendy has improved, but how much and what does the gaffer think.

It would be good if Mendy could go on to star for us. Maybe try him out in the League Cup games again. See if he has improved.

I’m not sure where the “Mendy has definitely improved” line has come from, really. He played for a team who did nigh on zero defending in a league four levels below our own. Those watching him will have had no idea if he’s improved or not. 

Mendy will be here partly because we can't afford to punt him, and I'd guess partly in case we have another injury doomsday scenario where we need someone to at least masquerade as a centre half to muddle through part of a game - ie Falkirk away last season.  

Looking alright at Lowland League level is hardly a ringing endorsement for someone who will need to stand up and be counted against the likes of Hearts.  

Let’s consider...
Bowie: Raw potential and playing well at the equivalent of English Tier Six. Worth £150,000 to a English Tier Two team.
Tait, if he tears up the Championship, would be future growth potential, youth and proven performance at roughly English Tier Four level. That’s the wheelhouse for English Tier One or Two recruitment.
Would £10,000,000 be insane, probably, but several million isn’t out of the realm of possibility if he tears it up.

You speak some pish occasionally Tex but I admire the conviction with which you defend your opinions [emoji1360][emoji23]

21 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

You speak some pish occasionally Tex but I admire the conviction with which you defend your opinions emoji1360.pngemoji23.png

Fair enough...no problems with being an opinionated arsehole!

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m not sure where the “Mendy has definitely improved” line has come from, really. He played for a team who did nigh on zero defending in a league four levels below our own. Those watching him will have had no idea if he’s improved or not. 

As a player early last year he looked tentative and lost. As a player, even at a lower level, late last year he was a key presence on the backline at Kelty. He’s had a year of  exposure to fitba and the tortured version of “English” associated with it, of course he’s “improved”, the question is is the improvement sufficient to make him useful to the Rovers?

I do genuinely believe that communications difficulties were a large part of Mendy’s initial problems. I didn’t understand how much an accent could throw people until Mrs. Tx visited with my uncle. After a couple of minutes, Frank smiled at me and said to her, “Ye dinna ken a word I’m saying, da ya lassie?”. She just waited till he stopped and nodded, pretending she could understand him. To me it was clear as a bell, but coming from a different culture and dealing with a thick accent made communications difficult for even a native (American) English speaker...so I can imagine how difficult it was for Nando.

Think about playing a game and having someone shout some direction to you in French...even if you know French, you may have to mentally translate it to understand it, which slows your response. The more you deal with French, the easier the translation becomes...

19 minutes ago, TxRover said:

As a player early last year he looked tentative and lost. As a player, even at a lower level, late last year he was a key presence on the backline at Kelty. He’s had a year of  exposure to fitba and the tortured version of “English” associated with it, of course he’s “improved”, the question is is the improvement sufficient to make him useful to the Rovers?

I do genuinely believe that communications difficulties were a large part of Mendy’s initial problems. I didn’t understand how much an accent could throw people until Mrs. Tx visited with my uncle. After a couple of minutes, Frank smiled at me and said to her, “Ye dinna ken a word I’m saying, da ya lassie?”. She just waited till he stopped and nodded, pretending she could understand him. To me it was clear as a bell, but coming from a different culture and dealing with a thick accent made communications difficult for even a native (American) English speaker...so I can imagine how difficult it was for Nando.

Think about playing a game and having someone shout some direction to you in French...even if you know French, you may have to mentally translate it to understand it, which slows your response. The more you deal with French, the easier the translation becomes...

It was never just communications. It was a guy who's decision making cycle was way out of sync  with what was going on around him.

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Mendy will be here partly because we can't afford to punt him, and I'd guess partly in case we have another injury doomsday scenario where we need someone to at least masquerade as a centre half to muddle through part of a game - ie Falkirk away last season.  

Looking alright at Lowland League level is hardly a ringing endorsement for someone who will need to stand up and be counted against the likes of Hearts.  

He’s the right size to be a good defender, but he doesn’t seem to be at the right standard. Maybe he can come good. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Nacho Novo couldn't speak a lick of English when he came to us... ended up being our top goalscorer that season. 

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Nacho Novo couldn't speak a lick of English when he came to us... ended up being our top goalscorer that season. 

Attackers: See that ball, chase it and poke it into the net. If you’re open, yell.

Defenders: Work with teammates to maintain awareness and a consistent line through communications.

2 hours ago, renton said:

It was never just communications. It was a guy who's decision making cycle was way out of sync  with what was going on around him.

Never said it was just communications, but that certainly played into the issues heavily.