The New Raith Rovers Thread

I bought my season ticket on the 10th and card hasn’t arrived.. anyone the same or have they not been sent out yet?
I asked when I bought it and they were thinking it would be around three weeks before they would have them to send out.

As long as they're here by end September then nothing to worry about.

1 minute ago, Holy Marv said:

I bought my season ticket on the 10th and card hasn’t arrived.. anyone the same or have they not been sent out yet?

I haven't had mine, and I'm sure there was something somewhere that said they'd be issued "in the following weeks". I wouldn't start looking for it for at least another couple of weeks yet. 

2 hours ago, RaithRover123 said:

‘Looks like’ he’s racially stereotyped him. Maybe you’re the racist for assuming he didn’t mean Tade- Esque not as in play style, but just by the fact that he’s got a similar appearance in build, hair colour, beard and skin tone. Piss off. 

Except he has since said it was about his play style, not about how he looks. 

The problem comes from the fact he is assuming his play style due to how he looks. 

Except he has since said it was about his play style, not about how he looks. 

The problem comes from the fact he is assuming his play style due to how he looks. 

Or the fact folk have said that he’s big and strong but not technically great. Mountains out of molehills springs to mind. Can we move on before this threat gets any worse?

20 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Or the fact folk have said that he’s big and strong but not technically great. Mountains out of molehills springs to mind. Can we move on before this threat gets any worse?

Except he plays absolutely f**k all like Tade. 

You know, just because he's a Raith fan, and despite me being a Townie, you are allowed to call this shite out. 

10 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Except he plays absolutely f**k all like Tade. 

You know, just because he's a Raith fan, and despite me being a Townie, you are allowed to call this shite out. 

Agreed, nothing like Tade. But if he's anything like Carl Hawley he'd do fine.

On 20/08/2020 at 17:47, All-Star-Par said:

Ugwu was very Tade-like in terms of being a unit and was psychically imposing 

16 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Being honest, it looks like you've just racially stereotyped him. If he was 6'1 and white would you compare him to Tade? 

Did you ever compare Nisbet to Tade? 

🤔

Is the season ticket a card rather than a booklet this year? 

Yes, so it’s like a bank card style of card. So for example for Scottish Cup games, we’ll go online and buy the match ticket, and then it’s pre-loaded on to your card for scanning through the turnstiles.

As mentioned, as long as they arrive by the end of September in time for watching the League Cup games on RaithTV, there’s no big issue.

42 minutes ago, Raithie said:

🤔

"Two wrongs don't make a right" springs to mind. 

Automatically equating black footballers to other black footballers isn't a Raith Rovers support problem, it's a societal one. 

Next time there's a new player being discussed, on the radio or whatever, listen out to the adjectives used. Black players are disproportionately "raw" and "powerful" where white (in particular, white British) players are "promising" and "agile". 

It's not rooted in malice, but it can be harmful all the same. This article on Yves Ma-Kalambay illustrates how damaging it can be, even for the players themselves. 

A couple of years ago in this very thread we were looking at a new striker and three posts in a row pondered if he'd be more like Gregory Tadé, Christian Nadé or Tony Rougier. Someone went back more than 20 years to find a striker to compare him to. I wonder which particular attribute he shared with those three strikers rather than the hundreds of others we've had over all that time.

Go back and look at the posts in this thread when Nando Mendy won a few headers in his handful of appearances. How many people do you think compared him to Marvin Andrews, and how many to Mark Campbell? 

Edited by Raith Against The Machine

When I saw the signing video of Ugwu going up the tunnel I was immediately put in mind of Tade (I'll concede it may have been partly down to there still being a part of me wants to see him back) as there were some similarities mostly height and build (after all he's nothing like Duku who is also 6'1" and black but has as far as I've seen he has never been compared or likened to Tade) then on closer inspection I thought hang on he's got bigger shoulders more like (but not quite) Lewis Allan (also over 6' and well built but neither had a great time of it with us and there for why use them as an example?).

OnceI listened to McGlynns interview watched the brief VT footage of his games and came to the hopeful conclusion he was a pacey bussling striker who put me in mind of who?  Tade methinks but why not Nisbet? I don't think them similar, I watched Nisbet when he arrived and didn't think he'd make it as he certainly wasn't shoving defenders about as much when he arrived at Starks Park.  Having seen only a brief interview and limited VT footage of Ugwu I am at a huge disadvantage in knowing him as well as the Eastenders do so my comments were really only my initial impression.

Does his looks remind me of other Raith players of that position?  Well other than Holmes or Allan I'm struggling to think of any as he's nothing like Vaughan, Dargo, Graham, Baird, Dalziel, Brewster, Harrow, Smith, Wright, MacDonald nor  Agathe, Outtara or even Nade or One who both seemed to be much bigger.

By the way Karl Hawley was a good shout I was trying to remember him last night (and the other striker we had from Walsall) but couldn't recall their names.

The thing is there are people on here who are hell ben on stirring the pot and looking for things that they think/hope are there.

9 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

No, all you saw was a chance to gain some form of moral high ground. Would you have ‘called that out’ if it had been said in a pub? Doubt it.

Absolute bollocks, it's more to do with the fact that surprisingly, I don't see every single post on PnB. If that'd been said I would've called it out for the nonsense it was, whether on here or in the pub. 

Are the other Rovers fans who have called it out also only doing it to jump on the moral high ground? 

46 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

When I saw the signing video of Ugwu going up the tunnel I was immediately put in mind of Tade (I'll concede it may have been partly down to there still being a part of me wants to see him back) as there were some similarities mostly height and build (after all he's nothing like Duku who is also 6'1" and black but has as far as I've seen he has never been compared or likened to Tade) then on closer inspection I thought hang on he's got bigger shoulders more like (but not quite) Lewis Allan (also over 6' and well built but neither had a great time of it with us and there for why use them as an example?).

I think Allan isn’t a terribly bad comparison, especially as the role we’ll want him in is similar. Allan looked pretty useful at first, before the unfortunate events that led to his disappearance from the team. On the other hand, Ugwu certainly looks more of the scorer than Allan.