The New Raith Rovers Thread

Getting business done early, and (to a lesser extent) shopping outside the usual pool looks increasingly advantageous. 

It looked like the increased loans would add a bit of buoyancy, but the increased subs in the Premiership have nullified that fairly quickly. 

As has been touched upon above, there aren't a huge number of Championship quality players floating around, and with clubs cutting budgets left and right it looked like players would be hard pressed to get a good deal. But now, with the likes of Morton and Queens still needing bodies, there's potential for a bit of a bidding war to start pushing wages up, especially with Queens having that Dykes money so publicly in their pockets. 

We had a solid core from last season, and getting MacDonald in early might prove to be the best bit of business anyone does this summer, so there will be an element of risk about anyone else we bring in. Overall, though, there are other clubs in much more precarious squad-building circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

6 goals in 22 games Lewis Allan?

Not bad stats for a League 1 player.

Were you one of the p***ks that boo'ed him onto the pitch?

No I wasn't one of the p***ks that boo'd him. Only opinionated p***ks like you respond to honest posts with such arrogance.

The biggest problem with the 3 from down south is we have no idea of the standard of football down there. Having said that Scottish football in general isnt very good and when you see St Mirren signing a player that their manager raves about then ours cant be too bad considering Gozie played in the same league last season and still got 13 goals in what appears to be a poor Ebbsfleet side. Both Duku and Gozie have played at a higher level as well.

The biggest problem with the 3 from down south is we have no idea of the standard of football down there. Having said that Scottish football in general isnt very good and when you see St Mirren signing a player that their manager raves about then ours cant be too bad considering Gozie played in the same league last season and still got 13 goals in what appears to be a poor Ebbsfleet side. Both Duku and Gozie have played at a higher level as well.

Musonda is perhaps the player I’m most excited about out of the three we’ve signed from down south, in that he’s got youth on his side. You wonder where he’d be playing if Luton were still a league one or two side.

4 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Getting business done early, and (to a lesser extent) shopping outside the usual pool looks increasingly advantageous... 

We had a solid core from last season, and getting MacDonald in early might prove to be the best bit of business anyone does this summer, so there will be an element of risk about anyone else we bring in. Overall, though, there are other clubs in much more precarious squad-building circumstances. 

I would add Tumilty signing to that. Our weakest positions were RB and GK simply because you cannot take the risks there you can at striker/winger. You can take risks in the attack that you can’t in the back and in the goal. A proven scorer at a level or two lower is likely to be a usable forward for us, even if they aren’t setting the world on fire. We know Smith has solid potential if he can shake the injuries, much like we are worried about Vaughan and injuries. We have a couple of other known qualities that can work as wide players, again even if they don’t set the world on fire. If we hit (or even near miss)  on either of the two forwards, we’re money ahead.

You're right, I'd momentarily forgotten about Tumilty. He's a known quantity, a solid player for this level. 

Maybe one of Queens' three existing players is a right back, but if not, Tumilty is the kind of guy I'm sure they'd be interested in. 

There can't be too many guys with Championship game time under their belts still kicking about. 

20 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

You're right, I'd momentarily forgotten about Tumilty. He's a known quantity, a solid player for this level. 

Maybe one of Queens' three existing players is a right back, but if not, Tumilty is the kind of guy I'm sure they'd be interested in. 

There can't be too many guys with Championship game time under their belts still kicking about. 

Only Queens players signed are GK, LB, CF. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Musonda is perhaps the player I’m most excited about out of the three we’ve signed from down south, in that he’s got youth on his side. You wonder where he’d be playing if Luton were still a league one or two side.

It’s a fair point that Frankie had the disadvantage of trying to break into a Luton squad that was steadily improving and moving up. After leaving the youth teams, he seemed to stagnate, with the occasional opportunity to show what he had. I suspect that Luton looked and saw a lad that wasn’t (in their mind) going to make the first team at the English Championship level and decided to allocate resources elsewhere. The fact he was constantly welcomed back at the Fifth/Sixth Tier shows he has a level of ability, the question is does the ability work at this level (or above) if given a real shot.

I think Gozie and Manny might be interesting, as this may be their last chance to really establish themselves in full-time football. As 27 year-old transient players, if they doesn’t impress this season, I think they are destined for part-time play. That alone should motivate both of them, because they don’t have the presumed experience/improvement window that the younger Musonda has.

18 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Only Queens players signed are GK, LB, CF. 

Is it wrong that I found myself wondering who (as in multiple players) we could offer to QoS for their (37 y-o) CF...clearly not busy enough right now...

I've said before we have pretty much a full squad and that's a better posotion than a lot of teams.

Jesus f**k how have QOS only got 3 players?

Now everyone knows about the Dykes money and their squad agents will be screwing them royally for pish players. 

8 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Worked out well for Falkirk.

Worked out well for Falkirk.

They had a squad chock full of assorted odds and sods from down south, we’ve got 3 players, added to supplement a highly successful and able pre existing spine... but you knew that already.