The New Raith Rovers Thread

He could be a dud,he might not be

Nisbet came to us with not the greatest reputation/stats so happy to reserve judgement until I,ve seen Ugwa play or listen to opinions from supporters of a club he played for 5 years ago

You guys asked our opinion. My opinion as I said is that you better hope he's improved over the last 5 years.

Must say I'm looking forward to seeing this leagues best midfield staying 100% injury free and tearing up the Championship because there's absolutely no lift in quality between Stranraer and Dundee/Hearts.....not one bit.

2 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:
6 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:
He could be a dud,he might not be
Nisbet came to us with not the greatest reputation/stats so happy to reserve judgement until I,ve seen Ugwa play or listen to opinions from supporters of a club he played for 5 years ago

You guys asked our opinion. My opinion as I said is that you better hope he's improved over the last 5 years.

Of course he has, he's signed for the Rovers.

4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

With every new signing that we announce from the Conference South, the feeling of slight panic regarding the new season increases just that little bit more. If these three guys fail to make the grade we're going to be woefully short at centre half and up front this season.

Actually, the article on the Rovers website is wrong. He scored 13 goals in the National League rather than National League South last season. 

The promotion play offs are back on the agenda.... 

I’ll be honest, I’m not convinced by any of the signings apart from MacDonald in goals. Guys are saying they trust McGlynn and I hope to god he knows what he’s doing. Mendy won’t be the defensive hero we wanted him to be. But I’ll let McGlynn work it out. There’s always the loan route if this seriously backfires. I hope the targets are direct replacements if need be.

I reckon mcglynn has earned a fair bit of trust during his two spells with us tbh. He's not in the job for a pay check or to further his career now. He's here because he wants to take us forward. I'd rather that than a mckinnon/locke or Smith type!

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

I reckon mcglynn has earned a fair bit of trust during his two spells with us tbh. He's not in the job for a pay check or to further his career now. He's here because he wants to take us forward. I'd rather that than a mckinnon/locke or Smith type!

Oh me too, don’t get me wrong I’m chuffed he’s back. Just a little worried is all

Oh me too, don’t get me wrong I’m chuffed he’s back. Just a little worried is all
It is the fear of the unknown. Until we see these guys in action then we don't have a clue. 3 signings who are complete unknowns in a squad that is relatively settled otherwise though isn't too big a worry for me. We've maintained the best of the squad we had last season which was good enough to win the league without Vaughan. I'm not too worried about being relegated next season. I don't think we will push for promotion, but we have enough to see us safe.

5 hours ago, grumswall said:
5 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

It is the fear of the unknown. Until we see these guys in action then we don't have a clue. 3 signings who are complete unknowns in a squad that is relatively settled otherwise though isn't too big a worry for me. We've maintained the best of the squad we had last season which was good enough to win the league without Vaughan. I'm not too worried about being relegated next season. I don't think we will push for promotion, but we have enough to see us safe.

Each of those players has shown themselves capable at the fifth or sixth tier in English football. General consensus is that Scottish Championship is somewhere around fourth to fifth tier equivalent, so these lads are either at the level they were performing at or trying to step up a level, much like most of our team. Mendy was from a much lower level of competition overall, and still showed well at Kelty and definitely developed. He might have worked in League One this year, but the Championship seems likely to be a bridge too far.

Tumilty seems a solid pickup to me, in addition to MacDonald.