The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Plenty of Luton fans praising his football ability on twitter, if you’d care to have a peek.

Again, he played 3 league games for them 5 years ago. Fair he might've been great, and Luton were only loaning him out to worse, and worse sides each year because he was such a great guy and they wanted progressively shitter teams to find this out for themselves. And I mean, no team had him on loan twice because they just didn't to keep him for themselves. 

That or Luton fans are wanting a youth player who's been with the club for a long time, and left in amicable circumstances to do well at his next club. While simultaneously having no idea of the standard of league he's moving upto. The National league South is a standard more akin to league 1/2 from what I've seen. Football fans in England would genuinely beleive that's on par/better than the championship though. 

Had a look on a Luton forum, and the general concensus is that he looked "decent enough" for them.  I'll take that :lol:

Really difficult to tell. I was quite pleased when Coustrain signed as he looked pretty good pre season, and Yaw Osei gave probably the most enthusiastic interview I've ever seen when he was interviewed at half time during the 50-50. In the end, neither were any good really. 

Still, more exciting than the same old faces. 

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Still, more exciting than the same old faces. 

This though is the main thing really. 

I'd love us to sign some foreign bloke with a lovely tan, a penchant for outrageously coloured Nike mercurials and stepovers.

A name that you can barely pronounce? Would be even better. 

It's not just that the two guys are individually gambles, it's the fragility of the squad to absorb any failures from the new guys that makes it a true gamble.

If Musonda is a dud, then we are relying on Davidson being able to pull another full season out of his arse when he isn't getting any faster, or more disciplined in terms of card counts.

If Duku is a dud, then how much weight falls onto the shoulders of Lewis Vaughan who's knees manifestly can't carry that much weight on a good day.

Granted there is meant to be another striker incoming.

Still, I get why McGlynn is looking farther afield for new players, and if it comes off it'll be great. However, he's not faultless in his signing record, but generally he's had a solid enough core to absorb any missteps, up until the start of the 2011/12 season, anyway.

Frankie Musonda sounds like he's an absolute baller. That'll do for me.

Edit to add - fear of duds and bad signings, Super John has forgotten more about football than we'll know so I'll take his word on the signings. Looks like he's going for bigger more mobile players - throw in Hendry, Vaughan, Armstrong and Brad tika taka football and we'll probably win the World Cup this year.

Edited by HoustonRover

39 minutes ago, renton said:

It's not just that the two guys are individually gambles, it's the fragility of the squad to absorb any failures from the new guys that makes it a true gamble.

Therein lies the matter. We’re a club weighted down with debt, having just spent a few years in the wilderness, and with little in the cupboard in the way of proven players at the Championship level. We signed a known quantity for the RB, we have a known quantity at CF...with an injury history, we have a baller in the middle and what looks to be another developing there. Beyond that we are trying to assemble a team on a tight budget that can keep us middle of the pack, no matter what we wish or some say, we aren’t expecting top four this year. The BoD is also looking at keeping spending tight in case fitba doesn’t resume, and trying to figure out how we can make that work.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Again, he played 3 league games for them 5 years ago. Fair he might've been great, and Luton were only loaning him out to worse, and worse sides each year because he was such a great guy and they wanted progressively shitter teams to find this out for themselves. And I mean, no team had him on loan twice because they just didn't to keep him for themselves. 

That or Luton fans are wanting a youth player who's been with the club for a long time, and left in amicable circumstances to do well at his next club. While simultaneously having no idea of the standard of league he's moving upto. The National league South is a standard more akin to league 1/2 from what I've seen. Football fans in England would genuinely beleive that's on par/better than the championship though. 

Yeah that's all fair comment. Signings like this guy and Duku leave me with fear and anticipation in equal measure. These are the signings though that at least make you interested in pre season friendlies to see how good or bad they are.

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah that's all fair comment. Signings like this guy and Duku leave me with fear and anticipation in equal measure. These are the signings though that at least make you interested in pre season friendlies to see how good or bad they are.

If they get through them unconcussed, that’ll help. One question, anyone seen any salary data from that level in English football?

2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Always interesting to have a couple of unknown quantities who could turn out to be brilliant or hopeless. Duku definitely seems worth a punt given we have another striker still to come in who will hopefully be more proven.

However, I was hoping we’d have gone for a more known quantity at centre back. Given we now have 4 centre backs, if this guy ends up a dud similar to Mendy (so far) then 36 year old Iain Davidson will be part of our first choice partnership for the full season. With two very questionable options as back up.

However, JM doesn’t get many wrong so have to trust his judgement and hope this guy is a hidden gem. I wasn’t overly excited by our recruitment last summer (Hendry aside obviously) and that worked out okay, albeit with a few key signings after the season started.

Winger (McPake?) and a striker and I think that’s us done. A week before pre season starts that’s pretty encouraging.

Agree with all of this. Particularly regarding our centre back options. 

18 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

McGlynn saying in his interview the striker is a priority. We're not too fussed about the winger making it sound like the move for the lad from Rangers isn't something which is something we're hugely keen on. 

Not keen on or it’s a done deal and he’s coming nearer the start of our season.

It’s just a thought.

Edited by Scottydog

45 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm almost upset that there won't be pre season friendlies with a crowd this year, love it when it's the peak of summer and there's a blurry photo getting punted about PnB with people desperately trying to make out if the trialists got a sleeve tattoo. 

Edited by Grant228