The New Raith Rovers Thread

Lewis Vaughan has just been and hand delivered my Rovers top..

And I wasn’t even in to accept it. My mum was though and said “I don’t think he was a player, he looked a bit chubby to be a player” [emoji23]

She then went on the site and picked Vaughan out and said it was definitely 100% him.

I am so unbelievably jealous of your mum. Personally I would’ve lent in for a kiss

56 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Can't wait until October now! 

Starting the season with two actual proper full backs on each side will be a nice change.

Two full backs on each side is a bit of a strange set up, unless we play against four wingers😉

Trust Mcglynn re the Duku signing.  Granted the last unknown player didn't work out, but I imagine he would at least a bit more of an idea about this one.  

Pleased we have signed an actual right back.  We now look like having actual full backs covering both sides.  What a time to be alive.

Interesting to see how Hendry and Vaughan get on this season, but if we can keep them and our full backs fit, and recruit sensibly for remaining positions, then I'm sure we will be fine. 

I've seen Tumilty described as a "lower Championship" standard right back.  Even if that is the case, that is a considerable upgrade on our right back situation in recent years.  

Edited by CALDERON

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

looking good!

MacDonald

Tumilty, Bene, Davo, MacDonald

Armstrong, Matthews, Hendry, Spencer

Vaughan & Duku

Subz, 

Thomson, Mendy, Anderson, Tait, Smith

Another 3 or 4 to come, a striker, a winger, a centre half. 

Might be time to raid Celtic for a loan or two. Can we have that jackpot winger and a spare centrehalf please?  Celtic had a kid on loan at Alloa last season wonder if he's been spoken for yet?

Needs more MacDonalds in my opinion.

I'd hope we keep to the three man midfield again this season. It was the cornerstone of our relative success I think. 

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

looking good!

MacDonald

Vaughan & Duku

Subz, 

Might be time to raid Celtic for a loan or two. Can we have that jackpot winger and a spare centrehalf please?  Celtic had a kid on loan at Alloa last season wonder if he's been spoken for yet?

Don’t like that back line. I think we need to be five across to use the skills of Tumilty and MacDonald...but I’m not sure if Mendy is ready for that RCB role yet...

In that lineup, if we have four Mids, I’d replace Armstrong with ❤️❤️Tait❤️❤️ and play him as an attacking Mid. At least Smith and Duku look to provide different things and allow a little tailoring of the attack.

Don’t like that back line. I think we need to be five across to use the skills of Tumilty and MacDonald...but I’m not sure if Mendy is ready for that RCB role yet...
In that lineup, if we have four Mids, I’d replace Armstrong with [emoji3590][emoji3590]Tait[emoji3590][emoji3590] and play him as an attacking Mid. At least Smith and Duku look to provide different things and allow a little tailoring of the attack.
I'd play mendy in the middle of a back 3 with benny and Davo at either side.

3 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
42 minutes ago, TxRover said:
In that lineup, if we have four Mids, I’d replace Armstrong with emoji3590.pngemoji3590.pngTaitemoji3590.pngemoji3590.png and play him as an attacking Mid. At least Smith and Duku look to provide different things and allow a little tailoring of the attack.

I'd play mendy in the middle of a back 3 with benny and Davo at either side.

So would I tbh.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

So would I tbh.

Shut it, you dinnae get a say in it this season.

Mendy at RB or anything like it is NOT I repeat NOT an option we wish to re-explore.

Just now, Scottydog said:

Shut it, you dinnae get a say in it this season.

Mendy at RB or anything like it is NOT I repeat NOT an option we wish to re-explore.

Mendy in your team is not an option you wish to explore unless he's massively, massively improved as a footballer.

Not many times I could say I would do better than a professional player, but he's pretty damn close to it in that game against us!

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Mendy in your team is not an option you wish to explore unless he's massively, massively improved as a footballer.

Not many times I could say I would do better than a professional player, but he's pretty damn close to it in that game against us!

Pretty sure it's been said before, but he was playing with a concussion that day. He'd barely just moved to Scotland and his English was limited to say the least. I don't expect him to be the best centre half to grace Starks but I think if he'd been that bad we'd have written off his contract. McGlynn has shown a willingness to do that in the past with players who have been rotten (Nathan Flannigan for instance). As HS says, I think we'll keep him for now but he'll likely go out on loan. 

looking good!
MacDonald
Vaughan & Duku
Subz, 

I think it may be closer to this...

. MacDonald
Tumilty ?new centre half? Bene Macca
Matthews Spencer (or Tait) Hendry
Armstrong. Vaughan
Duku (or ?new striker?)

I would be shocked if the midfield 3 that was so good last season changed, unless of course injuries happen.

22 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Pretty sure it's been said before, but he was playing with a concussion that day. He'd barely just moved to Scotland and his English was limited to say the least. I don't expect him to be the best centre half to grace Starks but I think if he'd been that bad we'd have written off his contract. McGlynn has shown a willingness to do that in the past with players who have been rotten (Nathan Flannigan for instance). As HS says, I think we'll keep him for now but he'll likely go out on loan. 

You played him with a concussion? That's pretty poor form in this day and age. Did you not have a physio that could assess this?

Somebody upstream giving Tumilty a 7.5/10 for defending... eh, no. He is very good going forward when his confidence is up, but his positional sense defensively is terrible. He ball watches and loses his man at the back post time and time again and has a tendency to go into ‘Don’t panic!’ mode when the team’s under pressure. If you set up with a back three and wing-backs, you’ve acquired a very good player. If you set up with a back four, he’ll frustrate the hell out of you.

31 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

I think it may be closer to this...

. MacDonald
Tumilty ?new centre half? Bene Macca
Matthews Spencer (or Tait) Hendry
Armstrong. Vaughan
Duku (or ?new striker?)

I would be shocked if the midfield 3 that was so good last season changed, unless of course injuries happen.

I'd hope on an upgrade here and there too but the side I posted was with what we currently have, McGlynn did say if he had to field a team just now he could.

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You played him with a concussion? That's pretty poor form in this day and age. Did you not have a physio that could assess this?

From memory Mendy's concussion wasn't diagnosed for a full week after the Dee game.

From memory Mendy's concussion wasn't diagnosed for a full week after the Dee game.

Correct. Also to chuck a foreign lad in who had played nowhere near that level against Dundee was a mistake of JMcG. After that he seemed shot of confidence. Remember that he was signed after they thought he had massive potential and strolled the first 2/3 games prior to Dundee.
I think theres a player there that needs a run of games, being allowed to make mistakes as he could turn into a real asset in the long-run.
There has been worse players in a rovers shirt thats went onto better things.
People could argue McGlynn didn’t put him back in the team after his loan spell but lets be honest, it was one area of the park we had plenty of cover in and it’d be a big risk to chuck him in on a title run.
Give him a full pre-season and see how he goes.

P.S. I’m not Mendy

I'd be happy to start tomorrow with what we have so far. Provided we got 1 more centre half then looked at where needs bolstering from the loan market.

We have a good number of signed players compared to most other teams and there hasn't been a dramatic change to the squad sonyou would expect the chemistry and morale to be good.

I think a midfield that can choose from Hendry, Matthews, Spencer and Tait is still really strong even though we've jumped up a level.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Second half he was okay tbf just had a complete howler in the first half

2 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I'd be happy to start tomorrow with what we have so far. Provided we got 1 more centre half then looked at where needs bolstering from the loan market.

We have a good number of signed players compared to most other teams and there hasn't been a dramatic change to the squad sonyou would expect the chemistry and morale to be good.

I think a midfield that can choose from Hendry, Matthews, Spencer and Tait is still really strong even though we've jumped up a level.

Any midfield with hendry is a good one in this league