The New Raith Rovers Thread

Am I right in thinking the following are/were out of contract?

McGurn     
Thomson    
Bene    
Davo     
McKay    
Miller    
Anderson    
Armstrong   
Dingwall    
Matthews    
Victoria   
Allan

There is genuinely not many on that list I’d be desperate to get rid of. I think McGurn will continue as coach but may still be registered as an emergency back up option. Victoria and Allan will be off.

I would have Bene and Matthews as priorities and I think Armstrong was coming onto a game before things stopped.

I think the rest can go either way but I think McGlynn will probably keep most of them for squad depth. The most in doubt are Anderson and Dingwall who I would move on (as much as I like Grant). Depends if he thinks he can get an upgrade on Thomson in goals and Miller at right back too.

Allan and Victoria will be away you imagine. 

Matthews and Armstrong I think ought to he the priorities out of that. Happy to keep a few others as well, but wouldn't keep all. 

What remains to be seen is how we structure ourselves next year in terms of our PT/FT split. 

6 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Am I right in thinking the following are/were out of contract?

McGurn     
Thomson    
Bene    
Davo     
McKay    
Miller    
Anderson    
Armstrong   
Dingwall    
Matthews    
Victoria   
Allan

There is genuinely not many on that list I’d be desperate to get rid of. I think McGurn will continue as coach but may still be registered as an emergency back up option. Victoria and Allan will be off.

I would have Bene and Matthews as priorities and I think Armstrong was coming onto a game before things stopped.

I think the rest can go either way but I think McGlynn will probably keep most of them for squad depth. The most in doubt are Anderson and Dingwall who I would move on (as much as I like Grant). Depends if he thinks he can get an upgrade on Thomson in goals and Miller at right back too.

I'd release Dingwall, Anderson, Victoria and Allan. Don't think any of them are likely to make an impact on the Championship.

I also have doubts over McKay and Miller as well as the usual question mark over Davo. 

Armstrong was disappointing this time round but I'll cut him some slack and hope that was as a result of the injury he was carrying.

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'd release Dingwall, Anderson, Victoria and Allan. Don't think any of them are likely to make an impact on the Championship.

I also have doubts over McKay and Miller as well as the usual question mark over Davo. 

Armstrong was disappointing this time round but I'll cut him some slack and hope that was as a result of the injury he was carrying.

Armstrong was carrying an injury for a bit but I thought he had a lot going for him, beyond the tricky winger stereotypes - thought some of his vision of passing was really good, and then there is his dead ball.

Hoping he stays. Otherwise in agreement with you, suspect McKay can and will do better, but centre half, right back, and about three forwards are a must.

Over 400 games for the club and Davo still polarises opinion. He was very good after the East Fife debacle (aside from the couple of standard Davo red mist moments of stupidity) so I am happy with him being signed up again, I think it’s the right call. However, at 35 I’d hope it is as dependable back up with a new CB brought in beside Bene.

The fact they’ve announced two centre backs first makes me think they’re announcing them in order of position, does that suggest Thomson hasn’t been re-signed? Or am I reading far too much into it?

Davidson improved massively as the season went on, especially after the turn of the year.  

Probably need to do better than that as 1st choice if we are in the Championship next season, but it's not a disastrous signing by any means. 

3 hours ago, kev23 said:

I'd happily throw our budget at TxRover if he promised never to use americanisms ever again.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I hope you've never used the term defenseman in regards to football before and I certainly hope you never use it again. 

I normally catch those in rereading before posting and fix them...unless I’m trying to be an evil, little b*****d...

Davidson improved massively as the season went on, especially after the turn of the year.  

Maybe it was that month off he got himself after the Airdrie red card!

We will, surely, see at least one new centre back. And someone we’d expect to start at that. Davidson as a back-up is fine but the Davo/Bene pairing was abysmal at times in League 1 let alone the Championship.

I think McKay is a better choice than Miller if we only keep one of them. Can play more positions and is the better back, but if we keep him and Mendy, can we afford another CB? I do wonder if Miller could transition to winger.