The New Raith Rovers Thread

I bear no ill will to Iain Davidson. Rovers are cutting back and won't be anywhere near challenging. Frankly, Dundee could be offering less money and it'd still make more footing sense.

Of all the things that Davo could be criticised for, loyalty isn't one of them. Who was the last player to manage eight years at the Rovers? I've no doubt that some folk will boo him when he visits Stark's, he's the sort of bloke you boo, but I won't be one of them. I'll be applauding him and Bairdy equally.

And to answer my own question from earlier, McBookie have Dundee down as 11/4 favourites. Rovers are 33/1 with only Cowden and Dumbarton priced higher.

Dundee will not win the league if Davo starts in CM for them. He is great when you are struggling (like us last season) but will be hopeless for a team higher up the table, much like he was for us two years ago. No massive loss and I reckon this will get the best out of Walker again.

Not disappointed with this at all. Apart from him being injury prone and having his seasonally five match suspension, his passing is awful. The only thing we got from him was desire and putting himself into a tackle. How many times have people moaned about the lack of a centre midfield?

The only person who thinks Iain Davidson can play in the SPL is Iain Davidson. He is no where near that standard. I'm delighted that we can use the money we would be spending on him for someone else who may actually be available for the entire season.

Finally, Dundee were favourites to go up but now they may have a centre midfield partnership of McBride and Davidson...and how successful was that partnership for us? Of course he may be getting signed as a defender.

I bear no ill will to Iain Davidson. Rovers are cutting back and won't be anywhere near challenging. Frankly, Dundee could be offering less money and it'd still make more footing sense.

Of all the things that Davo could be criticised for, loyalty isn't one of them. Who was the last player to manage eight years at the Rovers? I've no doubt that some folk will boo him when he visits Stark's, he's the sort of bloke you boo, but I won't be one of them. I'll be applauding him and Bairdy equally.

Yeah, all of that.

As far as replacements go, I'm sure we'll sign someone else, but maybe Callachan will get some games this season. Interesting to hear McGlynn's comments on him in that interview on the website, saying how he's a very similar player to Davo.

As far as replacements go, I'm sure we'll sign someone else, but maybe Callachan will get some games this season. Interesting to hear McGlynn's comments on him in that interview on the website, saying how he's a very similar player to Davo.

I think 2 wide players and another striker could be us for full signings, maybe one of those will be a loan players and I would expect a couple more loan players over the season. I would like to see youth given more of a chance this season. I havn't heard the interview but I am glad McGlynn rates Callachan.

I've no doubt that some folk will boo him when he visits Stark's, he's the sort of bloke you boo, but I won't be one of them.

It's a tricky one. It's eight years of service and ordinarily I wouldn't like to see people booed after that, but you could pretty easily goad Davidson into a red card I reckon. If it helps the team....

Dundee will not win the league if Davo starts in CM for them. He is great when you are struggling (like us last season) but will be hopeless for a team higher up the table

Absolutely agree with that. If he's being signed as Dundee's main defensive midfielder I'll be surprised if they don't concede a lot of goals. Their other CM's are Stephen O'Donnell and Kevin McBride though, neither known for attacking prowess, so maybe they're going to go with the same set-up as we did with the Davidson/Simmons partnership and will be relying on Baird to do everything.

Two things stick the craw about the whole thing - firstly, Davidson deciding using BBM to leak it out. Kind of sums him up, really. And secondly the board going back to him with a better contract offer when players like McGurn, Walker, Ellis and Hill have all taken wage cuts and in the case of the latter two have even went part-time to accommodate the club's finances. If I were Dougie Hill I'd certainly be annoyed about that.

We could do with a replacement, certainly, we've only four players capable of playing CM, two of whom (Murray and Hamill) are usually played elsewhere and one who is the untried Ross Callaghan. A CM, two wide players and a striker needed for me - would take the squad number to 17. Hardly ideal but about all we can expect.

Only at Raith Rovers could one of our best players leave and the fans come out and say they are glad to be rid of him.

It's the way of football fans. Players come and go so unless they're a legend at the club or incredibly talented, fans will very quickly forget about the players that are leaving or have already left. Pre-season is all about optimism and fans will try and stay optimistic ahead of the opening day even if everything is turning a deep brown shade of shite.

Or maybe the player in question was one of the many in the world who don't win universal acclaim amongst the fans?

Put it this way - Baird's departure wasn't met with the same sort of reaction.

Davo was one of our best players for the latter half of last season, yes. But he was hardly a superstar all the time. His partnership with Simmons was dreadful, and his temper does on occasion let the team down. Some people have short memories.

Would have actually liked him to stay, but it's hardly Paul McCartney leaving the Beatles is it?

Only at Raith Rovers could one of our best players leave and the fans come out and say they are glad to be rid of him.

He's hardly Gazza. He runs about noising the opposition up and breaking up play. He's been a useful player for us, but he's not a crowd pleaser. I was more gutted when Tade left as he could make things happen.

Edited by Scary Bear

Davo was one of our best players for the latter half of last season, yes. But he was hardly a superstar all the time. His partnership with Simmons was dreadful, and his temper does on occasion let the team down. Some people have short memories.

Would have actually liked him to stay, but it's hardly Paul McCartney leaving the Beatles is it?

This too.

Iain Davidson will be a loss, no doubt about it; he's certainly a player I'd rather have in my team than in the opposition's. I think he's a decent First Division player, unsure if he's SPL calibre but then I had the same doubts about Tade and he did ok for himself so you never know.

Can't really blame Davidson for moving on. Ok, he was offered a good deal (relative to those who took wage cuts) but with the club going massively part-time next season, then I'd suggest Dundee are more likely to be able to offer him the SPL football he wants sooner than we could, so from a career progression point of view I don't blame him for moving at all.

I won't be booing him when he faces us next season; him and Baird will be afforded the same warm reception from me.

I've always rated Davidson - and been deeply irritated by him - so I'm disappointed he's away as I'd have liked him to stay another year or two. But, these things happen and I certainly wish him well. Though I'll be honest, if I think a wee bit of stick from the crowd will herald a red card he'll be getting it.

As for the team, I'm not convinced it'll be a huge blow if he's adequately replaced. The team are clearly in need of shaking up and a bit of fresh blood in the middle of the park won't hurt.

See if Davo was a millionaire and didn't really need the money I'd maybe be a wee bit miffed that he didn't stay loyal to the Rovers.

This isn't the case. The player has a life to think of and he'll make more money and probably have a better chance of career progression at Dundee. Football is simply a job and the vast majority of people would accept better terms if it was handed to them on a plate.

I'd like to see young Callaghan get a run in the midfield.