The New Raith Rovers Thread

Looking through some old programmes today I came across one from season 2002/03. In fact it's our first league game of that season 3rd of August. There in all their glory is big Q and his missus during their wedding day. Have to say his wife looks ravishing, big Gav well he looks just like big Gav.:)

1 hour ago, DanElderRRFC said:

The points were shared at Stark’s Park in this entertaining draw between Raith Rovers and Rangers.

Remember that game Danny Lennons free kick, and then the response to going 2-1 down, just like the cup final the oppositions next touch was picking the ball out the net

Just a coincidence that our defence was absolutely fucking hopeless for about 2 months straight. He comes in then the defence looks as solid as can be for the next month then?

And for the record, I won’t judge any centrehalf in Scotland based on how they can handle Goodwillie.

Goodwillie isn’t at Clyde because ‘that’s his level’.
He could easily play at a much higher level than that. He’s there because of his past and Clyde are probably the only professional football team in Scotland that would give him the benefit of the doubt.

I’d bite your hand off for both him and MacLean next season. Would both be valuable assets for our championship campaign imo.

You didn’t see him make a hash of it against Elgin in the cup too then?

The reason the defence was solid was down to having a proper left back and Davo, who, apart from a couple of red mist moments, had a storming season by his standards.

20 minutes ago, michaeljohnstone said:

Why are folk here pinning Michael Miller down as a backup FFS? He’s better than Macca defensively, and scored more than Baird did.

Maybe they are concerned that he’s too injury prone.

2 hours ago, steakngravy said:

Looking through some old programmes today I came across one from season 2002/03. In fact it's our first league game of that season 3rd of August. There in all their glory is big Q and his missus during their wedding day. Have to say his wife looks ravishing, big Gav well he looks just like big Gav.:)

Your right there mate ha ha.

Agree with what’s been said, Munro is a huge no for me, distribution got better as the season went on but still had poppadom wrists. Cost us a goal away to Falkirk and at home to Falkirk, just 2 examples of wins in to draws, had Thomson been in they were wins, and would’ve secured the league much more comfortably.
I 100% would have Anderson & MacLean back, both very experienced and both would do well in the Championship. The argument of Goodwillie done Anderson was that was a Premiership player against an ageing centre half who’s head was gone after the first booking. He will be totally fine in the Championship.

Should note that this is my opinion if the Championship season starts in August for the 20/21 season.

If you were to say the season won’t start until January or even not until August for the 21/22 season, then it’s a totally different story.

I fucking miss football [emoji22]

On 20/05/2020 at 16:23, michaeljohnstone said:

Why are folk here pinning Michael Miller down as a backup FFS? He’s better than Macca defensively, and scored more than Baird did.

I’d argue he’s a push as a defenseman compared to Macca. He disappeared after December, and was a bit spotty prior to that. A league up, I question his viability as a full starter. The injury concern is real too.

19 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Any clue on how the new strips will look?

Well, despite being a Puma fan, the new Falkirk home strip is atrocious looking, so I’m happy we’re not getting a Puma strip. That being said, the genetic Joma offerings aren’t terrible and they are supposedly doing a one off for us. I just hope no one thinks their Supernova design is a good idea though, although it seems to be mainly a ladies top style (perhaps because it enhances the boobs, they are Spanish).

5 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:

Agree with what’s been said, Munro is a huge no for me, distribution got better as the season went on but still had poppadom wrists. Cost us a goal away to Falkirk and at home to Falkirk, just 2 examples of wins in to draws, had Thomson been in they were wins, and would’ve secured the league much more comfortably.
I 100% would have Anderson & MacLean back, both very experienced and both would do well in the Championship. The argument of Goodwillie done Anderson was that was a Premiership player against an ageing centre half who’s head was gone after the first booking. He will be totally fine in the Championship.

Should note that this is my opinion if the Championship season starts in August for the 20/21 season.

If you were to say the season won’t start until January or even not until August for the 21/22 season, then it’s a totally different story.

I fucking miss football emoji22.png

I would respectfully disagree on Munro. He’s reasonably young and still developing at a position where players tend to peak in their late 20’s and early 30’s. I feel Thomson is a solid starter, but would take Munro as our number two pretty happily for now. Agree on SAndo and MacLean. I expect a half-season, starting in January.

Perhaps somewhat naively I'm still kinda pinning my hopes on starting the new season in the Autumn.

Finance will force certain issues and I reckon once the UK Gov't pulls the plug on furloughing then we will see something start to happen. I'd think the top league will start back first with some sort of PPV deal done with Sky for closed door games.

For the league cup to be played we'd need to see all the leagues back ready by August or at the latest September and although not impossible is looking extremely unlikely. I think at best we might have an October start but more likely November or even later. Is there a LC sponsor? If not I wouldn't be surprised to see it shelved for a season.

Championship to L2.

I wouldn't be surprised to see games in the lower leagues eventually started initially as PPV with clubs own TV streaming games followed by more of the same but with limited audiences,  ticket only games to reduce numbers.  

When they do eventually put season tickets on sale if that was the case I'd like to see the club sell season tickets with a free subscription to Raith Tv during the C-19 crisis.