The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Looking forward to it. 

We've got a good record in the cup at Dens Park so I'm quite confident. 

However, we always seem to be on the wrong end of bad decisions up there, onside goals disallowed etc. 

Hopefully that doesn't happen this time. 

A fast start could be vital.

That Dundee game was an absolutely sensational day out. Looking forward to re-watching it. I think a certain Dan Elder has a crowd video on YouTube of Simmons opening goal and it just being absolutely bonkers in the stand.

Edit: Just found it.

Edited by Raithie

31 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Looking forward to it. 

We've got a good record in the cup at Dens Park so I'm quite confident. 

However, we always seem to be on the wrong end of bad decisions up there, onside goals disallowed etc. 

Hopefully that doesn't happen this time. 

We were helped greatly in a cup game due to a shite RB and a keeper one time.

One of my favourite games I have been to that!! Laurie Ellis's belter of a heider still gives me goosebumps!

Was so hungover but the adrenaline and excitement of the game got me through the afternoon!!

It’s probably my favourite day following the Rovers, that. I was 17 but got served in the pub before it so stood on the front street in the blazing sun in short sleeves wielding dual pints for a few hours before stumbling up to Dens. Chaos in the stands at both goals.

20 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Now that we are Champions and will be playing the likes of Hearts, Dunfermline, Dundee hopefully with some decent crowds Covid 19 dependant who would you like us to sign within reason. Which areas do we need to strengthen. 

The chairman states that no signings can be made and I doubt there will be any soon, but I’d be surprised if the gaffer wasn’t having a friendly natter with various guys none the less.

On the basis that a settled squad that’s been together produces better teams I’d expect we will keep as many of the 28 that turned out for us last term.

Re-signing Bene, McKay, Matthews and Armstrong would be my priorities But wouldn’t say no to keeping Thomson and Dingwall who we may yet see the best of.  For me the jury is out on Miller and Grant Anderson. I’d like to see the two Stevens signed as they have that something we otherWise lack. Short term deals for Davo and Baird might not be a bad option depending on when the season starts and how many games there may be, just saying. If Ross Co release Geordie, I’d snap him up too!

Should we lose out on Bene, McKay or Ando we could do worse than re-recruit Paul Watson, Arbroath PPotY Tom O’Brien is being touted in the Courier as attracting the interest of FT clubs so Could be a candidate.

A dedicated right back should be sought and a Lb as cover should anything happen to Macca, perhaps a left sided midfielder/winger who can fill in if required? 

Without Allan, Bowie, Baird and possibly McLean we will need at least 2 if not 3 strikers, Airdrie’s Gallagher and Carrick impressed and one or both could do a decent job. I think Carrick is out of contract and as an ex-jambo fits a petter 😉, Gallagher is still definitely under contract but might have a release clause who knows.

If Hibs recruit 2 or 3 strikers in the close season I’d not be too surprised to see the Hammer return.

What ever happens I trust the management team to get it right again, unlike their two immediate predecessors.

I would go nowhere near Munro. I'm struggling to think of a really good save from him in the entire season, indeed his blunders almost cost us the title. We need way better for the Championship. He'll be playing for Brora Rangers or such like in the next year or two. 

I would go nowhere near Munro. I'm struggling to think of a really good save from him in the entire season, indeed his blunders almost cost us the title. We need way better for the Championship. He'll be playing for Brora Rangers or such like in the next year or two. 

Agreed. Thomson would be a good number 2 but I’d like us to sign Kieran Wright. He was great when he was with us on loan and I believe he’s out of contract in the summer. I vaguely remember him having a good relationship with the club after his loan ended so who knows.

44 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Agreed. Thomson would be a good number 2 but I’d like us to sign Kieran Wright. He was great when he was with us on loan and I believe he’s out of contract in the summer. I vaguely remember him having a good relationship with the club after his loan ended so who knows.

Jaimie MaDonald please 🤞

I think a poacher like MacLean is vital, in addition to the conventional striker need. Baird seems to be a bit past it now, but might work in a real squeeze.

I think Thomson can be a number one, but picking up another challenger would be important. I think Munro could fill the role, but isn’t my first choice.

Robbie Thomson brought back in some stability at the back when Munro was proving costly. I would stay well clear of him, frankly. 

My wish is that we sign a 'keeper who isn't prone to getting injured*. Far too many shenanigans in that department the past few years. 

*I am sure in due course this will happen upon signing for us, however. 

18 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Falkirk weren't getting close to getting anything from that game in March until Munro came on, to be honest. Knew 

I never rated Munro, his kicking is horrendous and he can’t deal with crosses into the 6 yard box.

Munro for me doesn’t really fill the goal as much as you’d want. He’s on the small side for a keeper. I’d be looking for a new number 1 keeper. Championship is a huge step up and I don’t think Thomson cuts it.