The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

They both played at the start and didn’t do particularly well. Scott Thomson was brought in about 6 games in. Made his debut in that Rangers game.

We made very few changes to the promotion squad for the start of the season. If we had gotten Graham and Thomson in during the pre season and maybe gotten Lennon in earlier than March who knows what might have happened. 

I'd have loved to have seen how we'd have  done if we had managed to hold on to Brewster. 

Granted I was too young to know what I was watching but McGeachie seemed to read the game really well. I could've sworn he sometimes played in front of the centre backs (same as Sinky but quite a different player).

Edited by L. Brilliant
Autocorrected Sinky to sunny

20 hours ago, grumswall said:
21 hours ago, 2020sound said:
Can't imagine he will be back and it would be wise not to speculate about him.

It's also been done to death on here in the past. Best just to leave it and send him our best wishes for whatever the reasons 

Agreed just sparked my interest as I clearly missed what was said on here previously. Wish the bloke luck whatever went on.

Big TC in goals was the equivalent of your fat, useless mate going in nets cause nobody else wants to and it’s his ball so we have to let him play. I remember he did get back into the team after Thommo was injured in a 3-3 draw with Motherwell, only to be dropped the following week in favour of Brian Potter making his only start in a 3-2 win at Tannadice. 

Some of those early season defeats would have been a lot different with the team that finished the season with Thommo, Lennon & Big Ally added to squad. It’s gutting to remember how quickly that squad got dismantled when Nicholl left although they were starting to decline in the months leading up to his exit and some awful signings (Mark Humphries anyone?)

What a player Hetherston was for us though. Great days. 

Edited by Stelios

9 minutes ago, Stelios said:

Big TC in goals was the equivalent of your fat, useless mate going in nets cause nobody else wants to and it’s his ball so we have to let him play. I remember he did get back into the team after Thommo was injured in a 3-3 draw with Motherwell, only to be dropped the following week in favour of Brian Potter making his only start in a 3-2 win at Tannadice. 

Some of those early season defeats would have been a lot different with the team that finished the season with Thommo, Lennon & Big Ally added to squad. It’s gutting to remember how quickly that squad got dismantled when Nicholl left although they were starting to decline in the months leading up to his exit and some awful signings (Mark Humphries anyone?)

What a player Hetherston was for us though. Great days. 

Remember that season well, we were already down but the last day at tannadice was brilliant.  3-0 up at half time and a pitch invasion with folk in fancy dress.

Remember young Potter had a foot like a cannon was kicking it 60/70 yards.

Both games at Tannadice were great that season, with us coming back from 2 nil down to draw 2-2 with (IIRC) Jimmy Nicholl scoring form a corner in the last minute? Leading to a rousing chorus of “you’re not dancing anymore!” to Alan Maine in the Utd goal, after he’d celebrated their 2nd goal by dancing in front of the Raith fans.

Thanks for these @DanElderRRFC

Hadn't seen these 93/94 season ones since the time (or at least, the following day if I caught the highlights). Think I spotted me and my dad in the crowd shot celebrating Hetherston's volley at Dens.

Yeah these are great. There is a YouTube user called “Vintage Rovers” with a collection of highlights from 92/93 season up to late 93/94

I’d love to see the 94/95 league highlights, especially the game at St Johnstone which effectively won us the league after being 1 nil down at half-time with Stevie Crawford scoring the winner in the 94th minute right in front of the Raith fans to put us 3 points ahead of Dunee and Dunfermline with 2 games to go. Wild scenes. 

Both games at Tannadice were great that season, with us coming back from 2 nil down to draw 2-2 with (IIRC) Jimmy Nicholl scoring form a corner in the last minute? Leading to a rousing chorus of “you’re not dancing anymore!” to Alan Maine in the Utd goal, after he’d celebrated their 2nd goal by dancing in front of the Raith fans.

I’m just about to post this one, it was Stevie Crawford who got the equaliser at the back post after Ally Graham flicked on a corner.

I have the other two games you mentioned as well and will get them up soon.

23 minutes ago, Stelios said:

Yeah these are great. There is a YouTube user called “Vintage Rovers” with a collection of highlights from 92/93 season up to late 93/94

I’d love to see the 94/95 league highlights, especially the game at St Johnstone which effectively won us the league after being 1 nil down at half-time with Stevie Crawford scoring the winner in the 94th minute right in front of the Raith fans to put us 3 points ahead of Dunee and Dunfermline with 2 games to go. Wild scenes. 

Allan Preston OG as well? Remember it being a bullet volley off the wrong side of his boot flying into too bin...so it probably wasn't.

Incidentally where'd you get the Cameron hat trick footage?

Thanks for these [mention=10485]DanElderRRFC[/mention]
Hadn't seen these 93/94 season ones since the time (or at least, the following day if I caught the highlights). Think I spotted me and my dad in the crowd shot celebrating Hetherston's volley at Dens.

No problem, have to thank my brother really it was him who recorded all this stuff back in the 90s. I had never seen any of these games before this week and it’s been fascinating watching them all, looks like we played some great football at times.

Another classic which Scott Thompson mentioned in his Twitter interview, was winning 1-0 away at the Pars a few weeks after wining the cup with Thommo saving a penalty in the last minute. Absolute scenes. That was part of our 10-game club record winning streak that put us back in contention. 

Edited by Stelios

Wow some history is getting rewritten on here.

Tom Carson was decent for us in 92/3 season saved somewhere near 6 penalties, and was absolutely outstanding at Love  Street in the 9 men game.

Gordon Arthur played 1 premier league game away to Motherwell and literally looked to be shaking.

8 minutes ago, Stelios said:

Another classic which Scott Thompson mentioned in his Twitter interview, was winning 1-0 away at the Pars a few weeks after wining the cup with Thommo saving a penalty in the last minute. Absolute scenes. That was part of our 10-game club record winning streak that put us back in contention. 

I don't suppose there will be footage of the No Pars in  Europe game with it being a midweek rearranged match. 

I would love to see that St Johnstone game again though. I'm sure it was on TV. I remember some St Johnstone fans cheering at the end because it was bad news for Dundee.