The New Raith Rovers Thread

Couple I remember but can't see footage.
Danny Lennon chipping the keeper at Dens Park, lord knows what year.
Scott Crabbe scoring a free kick at Starks Park.
Will investigate further and see if either of the above even actually happened.
Lennon one possibly in a game at the old dens when we were battling for promotion. There was a huge rovers support and a ball cane into the fans and we kept it singing your no getting your baw back. Not sure of result but definitely didn't lose

Craig Dargo's v Dunfermline, March 2000. Not the best Rovers goal I've seen live, but possibly the craziest I've ever gone at a goal. It coming right after Paul Browne's opener, and me being full of Elizabethan Jack Daniel's probably helped.

1m25s

37 minutes ago, raith_94 said:

Craig Dargo's v Dunfermline, March 2000. Not the best Rovers goal I've seen live, but possibly the craziest I've ever gone at a goal. It coming right after Paul Browne's opener, and me being full of Elizabethan Jack Daniel's probably helped.

1m25s

I ended up 3 rows in front of me after Dargo scored that goal 😆

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, HoustonRover said:

I remember crabbe scoring a fk at starks, can't remember any specifics about it, but definitely remember it happened.

I remember turning to my old man and saying how ridiculous it was that he was lining up to hit it just before he fired it in! Arbroath I think.

Edited by ribzanelli

1 hour ago, dysartrovers said:
2 hours ago, HoustonRover said:

Lennon one possibly in a game at the old dens when we were battling for promotion. There was a huge rovers support and a ball cane into the fans and we kept it singing your no getting your baw back. Not sure of result but definitely didn't lose

It was early 1997/98.

We were 0-2 down at half time, pulled one back with about ten minutes left (Derek McGill?), then Lennon chipped Rab Douglas with a couple of minutes left to get us a draw. 

I think. 

Blackadder scored an absolute beauty against Cowden, volley I think. 

Gary Wales goal against Peterhead got all the plaudits but the one against Brechin was better, outstanding quality. 

Calderón came so close to taking the crown of best goal. Game against Falkirk when they were sharing with Stenny. Paco chipped the corner to Calderón who was in the D, and lashed a volley off the underside of the bar. 

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

That was a very late winner. 

It's not that I keep an especially close eye on Raith but I thought I'd have known if you scraped past a Highland league side, can't remember it at all. 

Then again I can only vaguely remember the one with the goals posted a few posts up, the second Raith goal was a cracker. Can't remember the score. 

Some goals that haven't been mentioned yet:

Casalinuovo's at East End Park in the same game as Grant Murray's.  (Only time I've seen two better goals in the same game was that time Alex Williams scored two stunners for Ayr at Starks.)

Danny Lennon in the cup quarter final at McDiarmid, scampering onto a lovely reverse pass from, I think, Cameron.

Davie Sinclair in the 3-2 last day win at Tannadice. Jason Dair also scored at least one fine goal in the same game.

A gorgeous cushioned lob on the volley from Kevin Moon at Starks a few years ago, can't remember who against.

Joe Cardle in the cup against St Johnstone.

And it probably doesn't belong in the same company, or at least not quite in the same way, but a mention for Steve Tosh from the halfway line.

My vote probably goes to Casalinuovo - started with a wonder save from McGurn, a few seconds and one lovely sweeping move later and Darren Smith is teeing it up on a plate for Casa to smash it into the roof of the net. Absolutely love that kind of goal and will take it over a one-off long-range striker any day. (I reckon I've probably watched Salif Diao's 2002 world cup goal for Senegal on Denmark about a million times on youtube, and I pretty well creamed my boxers last year at Belgium's winner against Japan.)

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

It was early 1997/98.

We were 0-2 down at half time, pulled one back with about ten minutes left (Derek McGill?), then Lennon chipped Rab Douglas with a couple of minutes left to get us a draw. 

I think. 

August 30, 1997 (Round 4) was the 2-2 game. Can't find the box score thou.

Hughes is to blame for that, he was instrumental in him leaving.
I spoke to Joel about it not long after he left, he said as much and then some... Incredible that yogi had as good a name as he did at one stage, through nothing more than inheriting a decent squad of players.

I had it it my head that we either won 2-0 or came back from 2-0 down to draw so I think youre right. I remember Barry Wilson on the wing and dust swirling everywhere

It was early 1997/98.
I think. 

1 minute ago, dysartrovers said:

I had it it my head that we either won 2-0 or came back from 2-0 down to draw so I think youre right. I remember Barry Wilson on the wing and dust swirling everywhere

The game that Barry Wilson scored in was a 2-0 win at the end of the 94/95 season. It put us back to the top of the league and we never relinquished the lead thereafter. 

The Lennon chip was two and a bit years later after we'd been relegated and Nicholl returned. 

Just been googling it and came to the same conclusion. Difficult to find. I'm sure Wilson was off the pitch due to some contact lens/ eye injury and ran through to score. It was a great day and a brilliant atmosphere

The game that Barry Wilson scored in was a 2-0 win at the end of the 94/95 season. It put us back to the top of the league and we never relinquished the lead thereafter. 
The Lennon chip was two and a bit years later after we'd been relegated and Nicholl returned. 

13 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

2 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:

Just been googling it and came to the same conclusion. Difficult to find. I'm sure Wilson was off the pitch due to some contact lens/ eye injury and ran through to score. It was a great day and a brilliant atmosphere

One of my favourite games from that season, and (I think) the last time I was in that old Dundee away end while it was still uncovered.

To be honest I don’t think we really missed out by giving Coustrain the heave ho, I never saw anything beyond bang averageness from him, which to be fair was a damn sight better than a couple of his teammates that season.

To be honest I don’t think we really missed out by giving Coustrain the heave ho, I never saw anything beyond bang averageness from him, which to be fair was a damn sight better than a couple of his teammates that season.
He had a bit of flair and a bit of dig about him which could have been of use if he had been given more of a chance. He was by no means a world beater at the time, but he could have contributed to keeping us up. Instead the likes of court (anyone remember him) where given a chance.

He had a bit of flair and a bit of dig about him which could have been of use if he had been given more of a chance. He was by no means a world beater at the time, but he could have contributed to keeping us up. Instead the likes of court (anyone remember him) where given a chance.

He was also completely hopeless in the game down at Ayr with Stevenson in goals. He wasn’t going to change our doomed season and I doubt he’d have been much better than any other average lower championship/upper league one winger. Not like he’s done much since leaving us either.