The New Raith Rovers Thread

Can’t believe anyone thinks anyone other than Regan Hendry is POTY. McDonald was brilliant until Christmas, then fell away a wee bit. That’s not a slight on him at all, he was just so good at the start of the season. Hendry is the stand out in literally every game he plays.

There is the consideration of Bene for PotY. Let’s face it, I felt he was shot after the first couple of games. But he hiked up his pants and buckled down and played excellent football the rest of the way. Absolute rock in the back for the majority of the season.

For GotY, I’ll (surprise,surprise) take Tait.

Matthews PotY for me

Hendry’s goal against Partick got my vote. Absolutely fantastic to beat the same 2 players 3 times before slotting it cooly into the bottom corner.

Tait easily YPotY. Cheers for the 150k for Bowie but if he’s worth that then we should be quids in when we sell Tait.

Bene and Hendry goal v Partick.
Would seriously have considered Davo had he not let us down with that 4 game suspension against Airdrie. Every game from Davo was cigars out. Especially the East Fife game at home

Aye far too many games suspended for my liking, to be anywhere near considered for PotY

8 hours ago, michaeljohnstone said:

I’d take Bobby Barr over Joao Victoria and Lewis Allan every day of the week.
Mind that Matthew Knox we had on trial? I remember thinking to myself if this is the dross we’re signing we’ve got more chance of relegation than promotion

Knox was once really highly coveted, think Livi turned down some reasonable offers. 

Hendry easily the POTY for me. He just oozes class in everything he does.

Goal of the season is Vaughan’s lob. Beautiful.

Bowie’s finish is class though and huge soft spot for Regan’s at Partick. That was probably my moment (and match) of the season. 

Has to be Vaughan's for goal of the season. It's a great combination of technique and awareness. From where he was, to know exactly where the keeper was positioned, then from about 30 yards on the diagonal from goal, to deftly lob him with the outside of his right foot. The ball doesn't even bounce before it goes in, just nestles in the net, inside of the far post. 

Beautiful.

2nd would be Hendry against Thistle, just for the jinking in the box  then leaving the keeper rooted to his line, a mere spectator.

3rd would be Bowie vs Montrose. He shouldn't have been given the space to run that far but the power and placement of the shot from that far out was impressive.

Wouldve ranked Tait's goal higher but I'm sure it took a graze off the defenders back. Enough to impart the spin that kept the shot down. Still brilliant that he was confident enough to take the shot.

Would agree about Hendry as player of the year, for a combination of sheer class and consistency. 

Stealth PotY would be Matthews, who has finally been allowed out of the defensive midfielder role everyone had him pidgeon holed in, and who was thriving in that high energy most advanced of a three midfield role.

Edited by renton

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m looking for a bit of help. I’m after footage of a free kick Brian Graham scored for us. I’m sure it was in a cup game, towards the south stand from about 30 yards.

It was against Formartine, wasn't it? Nope: edited to say Deveronvale.

Edited by renton

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m looking for a bit of help. I’m after footage of a free kick Brian Graham scored for us. I’m sure it was in a cup game, towards the south stand from about 30 yards.

Think it was against Deveronvale in Scottish Cup, 2012 ish maybe.  Rovers website should have it somewhere. 

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You both beat me to my edit!

It’s a peach. Cheers.

Been ages since I seen it. I remember thinking it wasnt really in the corner, more like it flew past the keeper who maybe should've done better?

Edited by renton

This could be a decent topic so I’ll float it here, too. I’m trying to work out what the best Rovers goal I’ve seen is - with the caveat that footage of it has to exist. That shouldn’t be a problem that every game has been filmed for the last 10 or so years and my memory beyond that isn’t great.

Ones I’ve thought of so far are Vaughan away to Queens where he volleys it right into the postage stamp and it clips the post and rolls round the back of the net, giving it at least an extra point on the aesthetic scale.

Vaughan again, scores a free kick in front of the McDermaid stand against a team in white strips (can’t work out who). Whips it right across the wrong side. Fully 30 yards.

Grant Murray away to the Pars. That volley.

McHattie away to Dundee Utd - which I think is my favourite.

Hit me with your best.