The New Raith Rovers Thread

The vote needs 15 teams between leagues 1 and 2. To go through. I could see all of Division 2 voting yes as Cove are miles clear, the bottom teams would be saved which only leaves a couple of teams having to give up the play offs in exchange for money now which could save them. 

The above scenario means that only 5 votes are required from Division 1. Raith and 4 of the bottom 5 teams would give the required 15 votes.. Might be a goer🤞

Edited by spot on

The vote needs 15 teams between leagues 1 and 2. To go through. I could see all of Division 2 voting yes as Cove are miles clear, the bottom teams would be saved which only leaves a couple of teams having to give up the play offs in exchange for money now which could save them. 
The above scenario means that only 5 votes are required from Division 1. Raith and 4 of the bottom 5 teams would give the required 15 votes.. Might be a goer🤞

Why would Edinburgh City vote against the chance of getting promoted?

If this doesn't go through, presumably there would have to be another vote next month if it cant be sorted then do the SPFL board not have the final say to resolve the situation regardless of the club votes? 

1 hour ago, philpy said:

I genuinely don't want to win the league this way. There won't be any way for the fans to celebrate as group along with the team, no pitch invasions, nowt.

I'd take the surity of more cash and keeping our better players than the possibility of an aimless charge around some astroturf any day. 

I'd take the surity of more cash and keeping our better players than the possibility of an aimless charge around some astroturf any day. 

That’s true, but it’s the worst way possible to get promoted.

A massive part of the enjoyment from winning the league comes from the game where you clinch it and celebrating.

Will be a shame if we are promoted that way.

However, better than another season in this league and/or going bust.

Just thinking guys.

I know I am gonna miss yous when you go up as the last couple seasons have been so competitive between us both which has revitalised the fixture.

However rivalry aside I really feel sorry that you are going to win the league if it goes as it is and gets voted through.
There's actually no excitement on or off the park for it. Like winning the league is about the experience. Brutal it's being pulled away from you and the players.

It would always be tainted and other clubs would get that wound up by it we'd never hear the end of it.

I think it'll drag on without anyone having a clue what will happen while the mud slinging begins.

At last a bit of normality is returning to the scottish game.

44 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Why would Edinburgh City vote against the chance of getting promoted?

Because the playoffs will never happen and the season won't be completed perhaps. 

Very much depends how much clubs need the certainty of the cash coming in. 

8 hours ago, pub car king said:

It would always be tainted and other clubs would get that wound up by it we'd never hear the end of it.

I think it'll drag on without anyone having a clue what will happen while the mud slinging begins.

At last a bit of normality is returning to the scottish game.

In all honesty, there's a part of me that's stopped caring about it being "tainted". We've been fucked over before with stuff like stadium criteria being set too high (while other clubs benefited from relaxed requirements). We've lost leagues to clubs which have overspent money well beyond their limits. We've watched as we had to work our way from the brink of financial ruin while other clubs have cleared their debts via CVAs while going on to enjoy top flight football while we've stagnated. 

It would be nice to actually be the beneficiaries for once. It's all well and good having the moral high ground but it's achieved f**k all for the club and at the moment, nobody gives a f**k given that one of the largest clubs in Scotland liquidated away all their debt in 2012 and are now portrayed by the media as the same club. 

In all honesty, there's a part of me that's stopped caring about it being "tainted". We've been fucked over before with stuff like stadium criteria being set too high (while other clubs benefited from relaxed requirements). We've lost leagues to clubs which have overspent money well beyond their limits. We've watched as we had to work our way from the brink of financial ruin while other clubs have cleared their debts via CVAs while going on to enjoy top flight football while we've stagnated. 
It would be nice to actually be the beneficiaries for once. It's all well and good having the moral high ground but it's achieved f**k all for the club and at the moment, nobody gives a f**k given that one of the largest clubs in Scotland liquidated away all their debt in 2012 and are now portrayed by the media as the same club. 

I think I’m split dead 50/50 on it. I’ve ‘seen’ us win 2 things in my life. The old second division under Calderon and the old second under McGlynn. They are fantastic feelings, nothing gets close in footballing terms. The thought of lifting the league trophy at Falkirk on the last day in front of a sold stand is just about as good as it gets for me.

On the other hand, I want to be competing in the Championship. Bigger crowds, more money, better players and I don’t actually think the squad we have is too far away from competing for a play off place - don’t @ me. I want us to win the league properly to get that feeling but also just want to kiss this sorry shit tip of a league goodbye.

10 hours ago, sirscottyoung said:

However rivalry aside I really feel sorry that you are going to win the league if it goes as it is and gets voted through.
There's actually no excitement on or off the park for it. Like winning the league is about the experience. Brutal it's being pulled away from you and the players.

Totally agree, it would seem a hollow victory
A bit like having sex with an absolute stunner and not being able to climax.

The season has to be ended by some means. The UK is going to rack up a lot deaths over the next 2-3 weeks even if the infection rate is starting to level off - bear in mind that some of the people still getting the virus will sadly be in the depressing figures at some point in the next four weeks. You can't start playing again until that drops substantially. 

We don't know when the lockdown ends, and it will be released gradually in phases when it is. Competitive sport isn't going to be a priority either, for obvious reasons. And forget about spectators being allowed to go and watch it, so the clubs will still be struggling for money. 

You then have the issue of a possible second wave ending in another lockdown - you can't just keep suspending the season . It needs to be ended and then can properly begin with a fresh start when we finally get through this, whenever that is. 

Call it as it is, or void it. Neither are great options but you can't continue to paralyse it forever. Either way, a few teams get screwed. But you can't put this off forever or try and fudge a way out by reconstructing just because a few teams will moan. Kicking the can down the road is the worst of all outcomes. 

12 hours ago, sirscottyoung said:

Just thinking guys.

I know I am gonna miss yous when you go up as the last couple seasons have been so competitive between us both which has revitalised the fixture.

I know where your coming from mate , but if it happens and next season Raith are in the Championship do you really think we will be fussy how we got there?  That’s the reality of it if it happens , but a long way to go before it’s sorted me thinks.

It would be a hollow victory, no doubt about it. Winning a title is a rare thing as a Rovers fan and especially after the real lows of the last few years, winning the league in the ‘proper’ fashion would’ve been sweeter than anything I’ve seen as a fan, Ramsdens Cup final aside but if it was at Falkirk on the final day that we won it, it might even have surpassed that.

But that’s gone. Long gone. There’s a global pandemic and nearly 1000 people are dying daily in the country. Football seasons won’t finish and ultimately it doesn’t really matter. By the looks of the threads on this forum that hasn’t sunk in yet for a large chunk of people but it’s the reality.

Celtic, Dundee Utd and Cove have their leagues in the bag. We don’t. It’s slightly unfair to put us up at this stage but I’d argue it’s even more unfair to just cancel the whole thing. All depends on your viewpoint, but we’re more than three quarters of the way through the season and I’d expect the club to argue tooth and nail that we should be in the Championship at the end of this, one way or another.

Celtic, Dundee Utd and Cove have their leagues in the bag. We don’t. It’s slightly unfair to put us up at this stage but I’d argue it’s even more unfair to just cancel the whole thing. All depends on your viewpoint, but we’re more than three quarters of the way through the season and I’d expect the club to argue tooth and nail that we should be in the Championship at the end of this, one way or another.

Slightly unfair? You’re being gifted something. I wonder what your thoughts would be if Falkirk were top.
Having said that, it needs to be drawn to a close and if we’re not going to void it (which for me would be fairer across the piece - the season will not finish so why hand stuff out) then we’ll all just need to get on with it.
Trying to dress it up as anything other than a gift (given you’re one point clear, have to go to their place still and haven’t beat them in the league all season) is wrong though.

Slightly unfair? You’re being gifted something. I wonder what your thoughts would be if Falkirk were top.
Having said that, it needs to be drawn to a close and if we’re not going to void it (which for me would be fairer across the piece - the season will not finish so why hand stuff out) then we’ll all just need to get on with it.
Trying to dress it up as anything other than a gift (given you’re one point clear, have to go to their place still and haven’t beat them in the league all season) is wrong though.

It's hardly being gifted to us when we are top and have been for the majority of the season.

21 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Why is voiding it fairer? 28 games for absolutely nothing? 

None of the options are fair. This is the situation we are in. It’s unprecedented.