The New Raith Rovers Thread

55 minutes ago, RRFC2711 said:

I remember people complaining when we signed a washed up ageing ex international forward called Joe Baker ( one for the youngsters there) if Kenny can give us double figures in goals between now and April get him signed no brainer.

According to Neil Brown's A to Z of transfers Joe Baker was only 32 when he signed for Rovers.

Someone else has already stated hes scored more goals than any other Rover player this season in a higher league and for a team near the bottom of the championship. If he does sign he will certainly get more opportunities at goal with the Rovers, he will certainly help the young players with his experience / knowledge and unlike Daly and co Miller is fit and scoring at a higher level.

Lewis Allan has a better goals-to-minute ratio than Miller this season. Miller has been playing at a higher level with a side that scores less, absolutely, but let’s stop holding up his goals this season as some sort of wonderful record. He’s been let go by a team desperate for goals, he isn’t some miraculous free agent sent to answer our prayers.

I’m on the fence on it personally but McGlynn knows who the alternatives are. We’ve missed out on a few so we’re probably at a stage where beggars can’t be choosers, and if Allan is just not going to play for the club again we definitely need someone else in.

Could work out great, if indeed it is happening. Might not. McGlynn has got most things right in terms of player recruitment so if he thinks he’s the best available, I’m happy to trust him on that.

If he is being signed , he may well work out in a similar fashion to what Anderson was doing for us in shoring up the defence, and if opposition  defenders are concentrating on marking Miller its leaving space for Baird etc to capitalise on and vice versa,  I'm more concerned with our inability at the back to keep them out .

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Saw big Mendy down the park with his missus and kids. Starstruck.

Give the man a chance in a back 3?

Slow down, that’s my line, laddie!

In all seriousness, do we try it for Partick, because it’s the free hit, or for Stranraer because they lack the same attacking threat as the other League One teams? A win versus Partick is worth cash, but can we win...the Livi game suggested we perhaps could.

Miller, while I agree he can possibly help, the problem is Bowie or Baird gets benched, Smith sees no time at all, and if we try to shoehorn into a 4-3-3 or 5-3-1-2, who do we hold out from Matthews/Hendry/Tait/Dingwall/Spencer/GAndo?

Slow down, that’s my line, laddie!
In all seriousness, do we try it for Partick, because it’s the free hit, or for Stranraer because they lack the same attacking threat as the other League One teams? A win versus Partick is worth cash, but can we win...the Livi game suggested we perhaps could.
Miller, while I agree he can possibly help, the problem is Bowie or Baird gets benched, Smith sees no time at all, and if we try to shoehorn into a 4-3-3 or 5-3-1-2, who do we hold out from Matthews/Hendry/Tait/Dingwall/Spencer/GAndo?

I’m not a fan of Dingwall. So that’s an easy choice.

Surely it's the defence Raith need work on ?

I watched yesterday's highlights and against us in league, the defence has been the weak link

I do reckon Miller would do a job for anyone in league 1 and perhaps a few league above even at 40. 

If he is to continue playing next season, surely it will be league one. Miller will have got decent pay off from Partick which may even see him make more money for the 2nd half of the season. I don't think he will demand a fair wedge now as the lights go out on his playing career and that no one will entertain paying over the odds for him.

38 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I’m not a fan of Dingwall. So that’s an easy choice.

Not a huge fan either, but 2 of our four goals came from passes he made to either the scorer or the crosser. His play on the first goal, in particular, was sublime.

9 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

The defence needs work, but we have 5 central defenders at the club, plus a left back who can play there. Can't see any remaining budget going there. 

I agree. JMcG will not be looking at defenders, why would he? we have plenty options there, Watson, McKay and Mendy all can all sit on the bench. There is really no need for a defender unless we loan one out to another club 

I agree. JMcG will not be looking at defenders, why would he? we have plenty options there, Watson, McKay and Mendy all can all sit on the bench. There is really no need for a defender unless we loan one out to another club 
Or macdonald gets injured. We'd be in a spot of bother should that happen.

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:
12 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

Or macdonald gets injured. We'd be in a spot of bother should that happen.

Bene at worst could take left back for a few games, our priority in defence isn't cover for a left back, its two new center backs

6 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

Given we have all of 4 healthy CB, sitting two means we are playing 4 back. That might fly vs Stranraer or Peterhead, but we’ll be crucified versus Falkirk or Montrose. Miller/Davo/Bene/MacDonal is a poor answer to the backline question, as it removes much of the threat that Miller and MacDonald offer as wingbacks when we have 3 CB’s. McKay is already as good as Bene, in my opinion. Miller/McKay/Davo/Bene/MacDonald should be our default, as it’s led us to here, with Watson backing up Miller and perhaps McKay, Dingwall backing up MacDonald and, sweet Jesus help us, Mendy backing up the middle three. There is also the possibility that Mendy will pleasantly surprise when he appears.

14 fixtures remain, and 9 occur before we can reasonably expect SAndo to possibly return. If we lose another CB, we either play 4 back or play Mendy in an  5 back...and Davo has 4 yellows and Bene has 5. Plus, the next red for Davo is a bucketful of games off.

Bene at worst could take left back for a few games, our priority in defence isn't cover for a left back, its two new center backs
A cb who has experience at lb would be the priority there. I think bene could do a decent enough job at lb but he doesn't have the engine to get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes.