Hank Scorpio

The New Raith Rovers Thread

Absolutely nobody has asked for a ban of these fans, nobody has even accused them of being racist, just that the song they sing has racist connotations to it. Some fans have quite respectfully suggested they'd prefer the song wasn't sung. That's it - no mention of stopping going to games, banning folk or gagging orders, just a simple "I don't really think that song is appropriate".

See before you typed your hysterical rant and quite rightly received 13 virtue points, the last part of my post was sarcasm. Grumswall was so traumatised by the song he mentioned it several times on the Livi v Rovers cup thread. And because of this everybody within the clique chimed in too.

#keepwokecultureoutoffootball

Racism is abhorrent, if Mendy wasn’t offended what is the big deal.

12 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I don't think intent comes into it any more. The rules are dreadful, no argument on that. But would you have wanted a penalty if it had been an opposition player who's arm the ball had hit, simple question. 

I think every football fan in the world would scream for a penalty, football fans scream for a penalty when the ball doesn't even hit a players hand. 99% of football fans watching that back would say 'that's never a pen'. He loses the ball, hands aren't in a terrible position, accidentally hits his hand whilst running away from the goal doesn't particularly affect play. If it didn't hit his arm, it was coming down and hitting his leg and either way, livi got the ball back so he didn't affect play in the slightest. There's absolutely no chance that if this had been given against anyones team, they would not say it is incredibly harsh and it's never a pen.. If you say that is a pen then you're lying to yourself. I think the majority of referees would not give it. Had that been in the premier league and went to VAR, I believe there's no way that would be given as a pen.

16 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

This thread though......ooft.

Can we move on now that the bairns have been put to bed?

Christ we're only a point behind you.

We have a long and impoverishing history of continuing to pay the wages and issue new contracts to players who are injured with little or no chance of returning/contributing much before seasons end, I wouldn’t be surprised if we continue to pay for SAndo even if he is extremely unlikely to regain fitness before the last 2 games, harsh as it’ll sounds the best option here is if the contract is terminated and we can bring in someone else.

McGurn, Barr (x3), Vaughan and Thomson are good examples of the clubs previous (and ongoing) benevolence with as far as I know Callum Elliot (who had allegedly bee informed by a surgeon his injury was career ending) being the only player we released when injured.

Having a good name in football circles for looking after players welfare is all well and good but has surely been a contributing factor in ongoing financial losses.

We have a long and impoverishing history of continuing to pay the wages and issue new contracts to players who are injured with little or no chance of returning/contributing much before seasons end, I wouldn’t be surprised if we continue to pay for SAndo even if he is extremely unlikely to regain fitness before the last 2 games, harsh as it’ll sounds the best option here is if the contract is terminated and we can bring in someone else.
McGurn, Barr (x3), Vaughan and Thomson are good examples of the clubs previous (and ongoing) benevolence with as far as I know Callum Elliot (who had allegedly bee informed by a surgeon his injury was career ending) being the only player we released when injured.
Having a good name in football circles for looking after players welfare is all well and good but has surely been a contributing factor in ongoing financial losses.

Raith Rovers is Latin for players benevolent fund, I’m sure of it.

3 hours ago, Jilted John said:

You hoped we would pay an injured player a wage to hang around giving out advice?

Honestly, given the changes we’ve seen in our backline players since he arrived, I’m wondering if we shouldn’t.  He also wouldn’t go amiss for the last couple of league games and possible playoffs.

is he paid-off for the remainder of his contract, or can SFA teams simply cut ties and obligations with injured players? I find it unlikely the team can just jettison the costs like that.

If you go onto any website and ask for a definition of a racist incident that will put an end to this whole conversation.

I take it you skipped the bit where I said racism is abhorrent.

I take it you skipped the bit where I said racism is abhorrent.

Absolutely my friend and agree fully. The fact is the it is irrespective that Mendy is condoning this by putting it on his twitter. Any person hearing a racist comment even if though the person whom it is directed at or to does not fell offended is still a crime. Its ANY person's perveption of the comment, not necessarily the person who it is directed to.  It is something that needs to be enforced to all people, particularly through schooling.

See before you typed your hysterical rant and quite rightly received 13 virtue points, the last part of my post was sarcasm. Grumswall was so traumatised by the song he mentioned it several times on the Livi v Rovers cup thread. And because of this everybody within the clique chimed in too.

#keepwokecultureoutoffootball

Racism is abhorrent, if Mendy wasn’t offended what is the big deal.

I was so traumatised your the clown still talking about it...

I was so traumatised your the clown still talking about it...

If it bothered you so much why didn’t you call the police?

Absolutely my friend and agree fully. The fact is the it is irrespective that Mendy is condoning this by putting it on his twitter. Any person hearing a racist comment even if though the person whom it is directed at or to does not fell offended is still a crime. Its ANY person's perveption of the comment, not necessarily the person who it is directed to.  It is something that needs to be enforced to all people, particularly through schooling.  

Exactly, it shouldn’t be tolerated at any level.

It would be interesting to know how much Vaughan has cost the club including medical bills it must be a considerable amount.

If it bothered you so much why didn’t you call the police?
So discussing and condemning racism means I was traumatised? Oke doke.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Honestly, given the changes we’ve seen in our backline players since he arrived, I’m wondering if we shouldn’t.  He also wouldn’t go amiss for the last couple of league games and possible playoffs.

is he paid-off for the remainder of his contract, or can SFA teams simply cut ties and obligations with injured players? I find it unlikely the team can just jettison the costs like that.

Depends on the contract.

This does happen in other sports though, Ice Hockey players are "gassed" by termination mid contract if they aren't cutting it. Although this isn't form but injury the concepts the same.

From a strictly financial point in order not to continue to make a deficit we absolutely need to get out of this league, even repeating last seasons vastly reduced loss (£200,000 in case you missed it) will not be aided by holding on to and paying a player who it is expected won't return to training (not playing you will note) until April. That, IMO s not a viable option IF his wage can be better employed elsewhere.  Having Anderson on hand to pass on his experience and advise is lovely but of absolutely no use once they cross the white line, it's bodies on the park we need......and IMO preferably one who can find the net with regularity. 

To this extent I would go with the defence we have and blow our funds on someone who is a proven scorer at this level, Davo, Bene & McKay may not be perfect but they should be adequate for this league and if one is out you if necessary can bring in Mendy or simply revert to a back 4. I'd prefer to bring in a spare fullback, if MacDonald gets an injury we are in soapy bubble.

Heard rumours that clubs are looking at MacDonald with a view of putting in an offer.

23 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Heard rumours that clubs are looking at MacDonald with a view of putting in an offer.

If true, I would like to think that it would need to be an exceptional offer to tempt us to sell, considering that we would need to source a replacement left back within a limited timescale.