The New Raith Rovers Thread

Mostly the young team - but not just them - have on several occasions have sung a racist stereotypical chant about Mendy (the one about a cock being massive, of course).
I’m not saying they are racists. I think they are ignorant. 
But this chant has to stop. Right now.I’ve tried several times to shout it down and - disappointingly - not many other rovers fans have joined me.
It’s embarrassing and a fucking disgrace. I feel so sorry for Mendy and the black players playing for Livingston and anyone else who is effected. Disgusting. 
I know that the Raith TV boys read this, please pass this on to the club and get this publicly stopped. Again, I don’t think it’s based on hatred. It’s ignorance. So call this out, educate and stop it now. 
For anyone in the away end. If it starts again. Boo it down immediately. If you don’t, you are condoning it.

You do know that Mendy re tweeted and liked a video of a woman singing that very song? Is it ‘disgusting’ when the player himself clearly promotes it?

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

But Mendy’s back!🤣🤣🤣 

In all seriousness, I think Davo needs to be removed from a starting role, just not sure we have the bodies. Mendy is a possible, long-term solution that needs some playing time. I’m open to trying Watson at RCB, although others recoil at the suggestion. McKay can slot right into the middle CB anytime now to replace Davo...it’s McKay’s replacement as the RCB that is the dicey one right now.

Why the desperation to drop Davo out of interest? He’s picked up a couple of stupid red cards (par for the course with him) but his performances since the East Fife debacle have been very good. I would like another centre back (or Anderson back) if that happens then Davo’s position may be at risk if his form drops.

However, at the moment, any calls to put Mendy or Watson at centre back just to get Davo out the team are pretty wild. I’m all for getting on the guys back when he actually lets the team down but to criticise him on the back of a harsh handball penalty award when he’d been defensively sound for 77 minutes against a Premier League team and a player like Dykes seems a bit much.

24 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

You do know that Mendy re tweeted and liked a video of a woman singing that very song? Is it ‘disgusting’ when the player himself clearly promotes it?

I know he did mate. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/what-romelu-lukaku-song-lyrics-11198902.amp

But kick it out and other players who have had this sung about them find it playing on a racial stereotype. Just because one person isn’t personally bothered about racism doesn’t mean others are not. And what about non-white support at the game? I know my mate thinks it’s racist and doesn’t like it - should I not bring him to the game because other people think it’s ‘banter’?

I'm not in the game of arguments and will sign off on this now  - it’s just a song that should not be sung. 

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL

2 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Mostly the young team - but not just them - have on several occasions have sung a racist stereotypical chant about Mendy (the one about a cock being massive, of course).

I’m not saying they are racists. I think they are ignorant. 

But this chant has to stop. Right now.I’ve tried several times to shout it down and - disappointingly - not many other rovers fans have joined me.

It’s embarrassing and a fucking disgrace. I feel so sorry for Mendy and the black players playing for Livingston and anyone else who is effected. Disgusting. 

I know that the Raith TV boys read this, please pass this on to the club and get this publicly stopped. Again, I don’t think it’s based on hatred. It’s ignorance. So call this out, educate and stop it now. 

For anyone in the away end. If it starts again. Boo it down immediately. If you don’t, you are condoning it.

Bit harsh on everyone else. Not everyone likes confrontation, and it's difficult to know how football fans will react to being confronted, especially those who have had a few drinks. 

Not confronting it isn't the same as condoning it. 

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Bit harsh on everyone else. Not everyone likes confrontation, and it's difficult to know how football fans will react to being confronted, especially those who have had a few drinks. 

Not confronting it isn't the same as condoning it. 

Aye fair’ish point. And if you don’t want to do it, fair enough. But most people are not directly near it and a facing straight forward and ‘booing’ isn’t exactly painting a target on your back.

Aye fair’ish point. And if you don’t want to do it, fair enough. But most people are not directly near it and a facing straight forward and ‘booing’ isn’t exactly painting a target on your back.
There's still far too many people with a backwards view of racism in our support. I called someone out when Bartley got sent off for hibs at starks with it aswell. Everyone just sits and watches rather than agree or disagree. Quite sad that this sort of chat still gets aired in this day and age.

55 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Why the desperation to drop Davo out of interest? He’s picked up a couple of stupid red cards (par for the course with him) but his performances since the East Fife debacle have been very good. I would like another centre back (or Anderson back) if that happens then Davo’s position may be at risk if his form drops.

However, at the moment, any calls to put Mendy or Watson at centre back just to get Davo out the team are pretty wild. I’m all for getting on the guys back when he actually lets the team down but to criticise him on the back of a harsh handball penalty award when he’d been defensively sound for 77 minutes against a Premier League team and a player like Dykes seems a bit much.

The simple fact is that Davo appears to be an awfully common factor in a number of issues. It was seemingly clear at the beginning of the season that Davo was envisioned as moving to more of a backup role, but we ended up needing him as a starter, and it has bitten us. Let’s ask a question, do you see Davo playing for us, as a starter, next year? If you don’t, we should take opportunities to find out who can move into starting roles.

Now, the debate, at that point, is what is an opportunity? As it stands, League games are almost must won to remain ahead of Falkirk and Airdrie...so we have to seriously look at if Davo adds more than he subtracts and of another player needs to be tried out. The ultimate arbiter of that is the gaffer, and generally we have to respect his judgement...but would we have learned how well McKay and Watson can play if Davo hadn’t done dumb thing? I fear that JMcG is too wedded to his senior players, and is willing to stick with them perhaps too far sometimes.

I'm far from davos biggest fan but he is one of our best options at cb. To drop him for Watson who isn't a cb or mendy who hasn't been tested at the level we play at is just a bit silly. He is also one of the only "ball playing" cbs we have so suits how mcglynn wants us to play.

The simple fact is that Davo appears to be an awfully common factor in a number of issues. It was seemingly clear at the beginning of the season that Davo was envisioned as moving to more of a backup role, but we ended up needing him as a starter, and it has bitten us. Let’s ask a question, do you see Davo playing for us, as a starter, next year? If you don’t, we should take opportunities to find out who can move into starting roles.
Now, the debate, at that point, is what is an opportunity? As it stands, League games are almost must won to remain ahead of Falkirk and Airdrie...so we have to seriously look at if Davo adds more than he subtracts and of another player needs to be tried out. The ultimate arbiter of that is the gaffer, and generally we have to respect his judgement...but would we have learned how well McKay and Watson can play if Davo hadn’t done dumb thing? I fear that JMcG is too wedded to his senior players, and is willing to stick with them perhaps too far sometimes.
Even if Davo isn't to be a starter next season, the important thing is being promoted this season - and he is part of our strongest defence, like it or not.
I know he did mate. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/what-romelu-lukaku-song-lyrics-11198902.amp
But kick it out and other players who have had this sung about them find it playing on a racial stereotype. Just because one person isn’t personally bothered about racism doesn’t mean others are not. And what about non-white support at the game? I know my mate thinks it’s racist and doesn’t like it - should I not bring him to the game because other people think it’s ‘banter’?
I'm not in the game of arguments and will sign off on this now  - it’s just a song that should not be sung. 

Not the only team, Aston Villa condemned their fans for it a few months ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/07/aston-villa-disgusted-by-fans-chanting-racist-song-about-their-players

Mendy has been mince in the games he's played and Jamie Watson is not a CB. 

I'm all for jettisoning Davidson into the sea, but let's not make things worse doing so. In particular, let's not play players out of position unless we really, really need to. 

Anyway... out the cup as predicted so no additional funds to get us over the line. Hopefully there's a striker to come in yet. 

Edited by Michael W

Davo is part of the threat to our promotion in a similar manner to the fact that he has been a huge defensive help at times.

Watson has shown well at RB in a four across. RCB, with a wingback outside is not miles away from that role, and he seems to have the potential to possibly fill that role...if there is an opportunity, I'd say give him some time.

Mendy was terrible, but has received a lot of playing time, and we need to see how he responds at this level now too. Again, opportunities must be taken.

If we are cruising in a game, with a nice lead, one or the other should be looked at. Is it a risk, yes, but so is relying upon Davo. And, yes, I know we have yet to see that siutation, but perhaps a more in form Baird and a possible new striker will fix that too.

Davo is part of the threat to our promotion in a similar manner to the fact that he has been a huge defensive help at times.
Watson has shown well at RB in a four across. RCB, with a wingback outside is not miles away from that role, and he seems to have the potential to possibly fill that role...if there is an opportunity, I'd say give him some time.
Mendy was terrible, but has received a lot of playing time, and we need to see how he responds at this level now too. Again, opportunities must be taken.
If we are cruising in a game, with a nice lead, one or the other should be looked at. Is it a risk, yes, but so is relying upon Davo. And, yes, I know we have yet to see that siutation, but perhaps a more in form Baird and a possible new striker will fix that too.

Watson has been decent enough as a backup rb. That is his natural position. He doesn't have the attributes necessary to be effective at our level at cb. Whether it's in 3/4/5/6 back defence. Mendy had 2 (iirc) starts in competitive games and was concussed in one of them? We don't really know if he would be able to contribute and I'd be all for him getting a chance should we be cruising in a game. At this moment in time with only davo, mckay and bene available. Davo is one of the best options we have.

29 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I don't get why you're so determined to play Watson out of position.  When he played out of position at LB he didn't look overly comfortable, he's done ok at RB because that's the role he knows how to play.  Sticking him in at CB is just asking for trouble.   

Not to mention that if he could play at CB then it would have happened already.  Those games where we had barely any fit defenders, if capable, then Watson would have played at CB and MacDonald would have stayed at LB.  The fact McGlynn didn't do that and instead chose to play two players out of position rather than just one would suggest that Watson is not and isn't going to be a CB. 

Isn’t Davo retiring at the end of the season ?

He should’ve retired last year! C*nt keeps costing us!! So frustrating when he’s actually having a decent game and then a total brain fart and then it’s game gone. Personally after him sticking the fingers up when he got sent off, when we went out on shit show at Alloa 2yrs ago, that should’ve been the last of him.

He should’ve retired last year! C*nt keeps costing us!! So frustrating when he’s actually having a decent game and then a total brain fart and then it’s game gone. Personally after him sticking the fingers up when he got sent off, when we went out on shit show at Alloa 2yrs ago, that should’ve been the last of him.
Davo is a good player but he just has these moments that have cost us for years. I don't get why people defend it time and time again. I'm not actually commenting on the pen today and I don't want to be caught chucking mud at him again so I'll leave it at that.