The New Raith Rovers Thread

People seriously think a professional fitba player would have such thin skin that he'd take the rest of the season off? Or that an experienced manager would shield him by removing him from the squad? 

The abuse - whilst sad - has been nothing compared to what other players have received down the years. 

Leave the guy alone to whatever it is that is troubling him. 

Tbh the speculation on what may or may not be the cause of Allan’s absence is pretty poor. Think he’s due his right to privacy.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong in people discussing the reason a player is unavailable. When the statement from the manager was so vague, it’s always going to get people speculating. Should we all just ignore the fact he’s not been playing and kid on we aren’t curious as to why?

People seriously think a professional fitba player would have such thin skin that he'd take the rest of the season off? Or that an experienced manager would shield him by removing him from the squad? 
The abuse - whilst sad - has been nothing compared to what other players have received down the years. 
Leave the guy alone to whatever it is that is troubling him. 

Just because he's a professional footballer it doesn't mean he isn't able to become ill. I'm not saying it is and I'm not saying it isn't but if it is depression, which is an awful illness responsible for more deaths for people his age than any other (iirc). He should be afforded all the support possible by the club and by us as fans instead of booing him onto the pitch. Just because others deal with that and worse, doesn't mean that he is able to.

Anyhoo, we could do with a decent signing rumour. It's middle of January, leaving 2 weeks + to bring in new faces. There's been nothing other than pure speculation and fantasy, a deliberate tactic to conceal targets I'm sure, but there's usually someone ITK cutting aboot by now.

1 hour ago, pantene proV said:

People seriously think a professional fitba player would have such thin skin that he'd take the rest of the season off?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/i-sick-pitch-couldnt-speak-12054994.amp

Anyhoo, we could do with a decent signing rumour. It's middle of January, leaving 2 weeks + to bring in new faces. There's been nothing other than pure speculation and fantasy, a deliberate tactic to conceal targets I'm sure, but there's usually someone ITK cutting aboot by now.
Our league can still sign in February mate [emoji106]

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong in people discussing the reason a player is unavailable. When the statement from the manager was so vague, it’s always going to get people speculating. Should we all just ignore the fact he’s not been playing and kid on we aren’t curious as to why?

I don't see what good it does, really. Just because we think something (and let's be honest here, it was what immediately came to mind after that statement) doesn't mean we need to say it or speculate about it. 

It could be something else entirely. Whatever it is, hopefully he's given the time to recover and the correct treatment required. This includes the support and respect of privacy from his teammates and manager. 

Edited by Michael W

I don't see what good it does, really. Just because we think something (and let's be honest here, it was what immediately came to mind after that statement) doesn't mean we need to say it or speculate about it. 
It could be something else entirely. Whatever it is, hopefully he's given the time to recover and the correct treatment required. This includes the support and respect of privacy from his teammates and manager. 
I don't think it's something that shouldn't be suggested or spoken about either. Taking Lewis out of the equation, it's something that most people suffer from at one time or another. It should be spoken about and not made to be a tabboo subject. If he isn't in that position then what harm is done by people discussing it? If he is in that position then he can at least read our words backing him, which could hopefully help him get through it.

48 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Which is exactly why JMcG has been so cagey about Allan. plus the team has clammed up too. There’s lots of possible speculation, and until Lewis returns and/or opts to talk about it, we’re down a forward who was a starter at the beginning of the season.

6 minutes ago, grumswall said:
56 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I don't think it's something that shouldn't be suggested or spoken about either. Taking Lewis out of the equation, it's something that most people suffer from at one time or another. It should be spoken about and not made to be a tabboo subject. If he isn't in that position then what harm is done by people discussing it? If he is in that position then he can at least read our words backing him, which could hopefully help him get through it.

Unfortunately, the nature of the web and chat boards/forums, is that often things that start positive morph into a troll fest. I too certainly hope that whatever issue Lewis Allan is dealing with is being treated as needed and that he will be back soon.

Unfortunately, the nature of the web and chat boards/forums, is that often things that start positive morph into a troll fest. I too certainly hope that whatever issue Lewis Allan is dealing with is being treated as needed and that he will be back soon.

I don't think anyone has been trolling so far. I think there is alot of ignorance when it comes to mental health. That's why I think it should be discussed more openly on places like this and there is a depression thread on this within the general nonsense part of the forum.

11 hours ago, grumswall said:

I don't think anyone has been trolling so far. I think there is alot of ignorance when it comes to mental health. That's why I think it should be discussed more openly on places like this and there is a depression thread on this within the general nonsense part of the forum.

I absolutely agree with the need, however, if we started a discussion, the trolls would show. I don’t want to hide it, but, then again, we can’t even know of that is the problem here.

I simply fear, from experience, that things would simply degenerate because of people who do not take this kind of thing seriously, who view it instead as personal weakness.

Edited by TxRover

9 hours ago, grumswall said:
10 hours ago, Michael W said:

If that is indeed why he hasn't played for a few months now, I don't think speculating about it is going to make him feel any better.  I do however hopes that he has the support of his manager and teammates currently. 

And yes it should be spoken about, totally agree with that. However (at least in my view) that needs to be instigated by the player firstly and in a private environment until he is comfortable sharing it further. 

Whilst the messages on here have indeed been supportive, there are also several examples of the few players that have shared their mental health problems being abused for it during games. 

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

Which is exactly why JMcG has been so cagey about Allan. plus the team has clammed up too. There’s lots of possible speculation, and until Lewis returns and/or opts to talk about it, we’re down a forward who was a starter at the beginning of the season.

McGlynn handled that part as well as he could. He was honest without being specific, and I am sure acted in accordance with Allan's wishes. 

Edited by Michael W