The New Raith Rovers Thread

If he's out of contract we'll probably sign him in the summer. 
We are in no position to be paying fees for players, unfortunately. 

Can sign him on a PCA now though. Dangerous though. If we are still in this league next season, he’d be a fantastic signing.

If we go up then he’ll be jumping up 2 leagues in one go

5 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Can sign him on a PCA now though. Dangerous though. If we are still in this league next season, he’d be a fantastic signing.

If we go up then he’ll be jumping up 2 leagues in one go

I would like to think McGlynn's targeting is with possible promotion in mind. 

I think when J McG said  "The parent club will be weighing up where they want their player to go" and "it may come down to finance, other clubs may be able to pay more money" suggest that we aren't looking at signing anyone on a permanent deal.

My take on that interview was that McGlynn's only really talking about loan players.

Mendy will likely bring a substitute defensive body that is probably at least serviceable after his time at Kelty. SAndo out is a crushing loss, and now Davo HAS to step up. He has to grow-up and shut-up. He’s hurt us too many times to do it again, and he needs to reward our faith now! He needs to adult and ignore the other players baiting him, but my confidence is low.

A striker would be nice, but not critical enough to over-spend because of the impending return of Allan and Smith, plus Armstrong, GAndo and  Victoria being able to play forward. Our strength in the middle is what is keeping us afloat, and using some of the less often seen midfield players to boost the strike force is an option.

The current Rovers team is well placed for at least a playoff spot, it is critical we don’t go crazy with spending.

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

1, A striker would be nice, but not critical enough to over-spend because of the impending return of Allan and Smith, plus Armstrong, GAndo and  Victoria being able to play forward. Our strength in the middle is what is keeping us afloat, and using some of the less often seen midfield players to boost the strike force is an option.

2, The current Rovers team is well placed for at least a playoff spot, it is critical we don’t go crazy with spending.

Point 1, I disagree, I believe a striker is of critical importance, incidentally what makes you think Allan is pending a return, I've seen nothing to suggest that and tbh even if he does I'm not of the opinion he is the goal threat we need to secure promotion.

Point 2, Financial prudence is important of course but not risking for only a potential play off spot is no use, particularly if the challenge goes to the wire as we've seen (with Ayr and Alloa) how badly that can go, to be honest I'd doubt the team would handle it this time either.

Some might think we are well placed because we are currently top scorers in the league but where would we be without Gullan top scorer on 9 goals?  He'd be a huge miss and would surely have to be replaced to maintain any sort of challenge, on the other hand just imagine where we could be placed now if we had an available striker who's capable of what we've seen Vaughan, Nisbet, Goodwille or even Carrick and McManus have achieved in this league.  I'm not suggesting we break the bank but merely find middle ground.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Mendy will likely bring a substitute defensive body that is probably at least serviceable after his time at Kelty. SAndo out is a crushing loss, and now Davo HAS to step up. He has to grow-up and shut-up. He’s hurt us too many times to do it again, and he needs to reward our faith now! He needs to adult and ignore the other players baiting him, but my confidence is low.

A striker would be nice, but not critical enough to over-spend because of the impending return of Allan and Smith, plus Armstrong, GAndo and  Victoria being able to play forward. Our strength in the middle is what is keeping us afloat, and using some of the less often seen midfield players to boost the strike force is an option.

The current Rovers team is well placed for at least a playoff spot, it is critical we don’t go crazy with spending.

Can't agree with that. A striker is a must have. We are losing our only semi regular goal scorer back to Hibs. Bowie has the promise but isn't doing it regularly, Baird is looking sharper and fitter but fits into a deeper role. Gando has that chaos effect when he gets into the box, but lacks the killer instinct in front of goal. Allan has one league goal and may be out indefinitely. Smith may suddenly come good, but February is not a good time to find out he won't.

We need someone who'll at least give us a one in three return over the rest of the season. We likely won't find another Kevin Nisbet in January, but we do need someone who'll give us a bit of a rhythm. Others are and hopefully will continue to keep scoring, but the team and the fans need someone they can look to that has a degree of confidence in scoring.

McGlynn saying in his pre match interview that the 2 players he is after aren’t loan deals or free agents. Contracted to other clubs so fees or some sort of deal need to be agreed.

I assume Sutherland will be one and given the rumours it is possible Callachan is the other. Don’t see how we would have the money to pay any transfer fee. As suggested above, a fringe player like Victoria may be used as part of the Sutherland deal. If the other is indeed Callachan, St Johnstone may just be happy to get his wage off their books without looking for a fee. Imagine he will have offers in the Championship though.

29 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

If the other is indeed Callachan, St Johnstone may just be happy to get his wage off their books without looking for a fee. Imagine he will have offers in the Championship though.

Our managers saying we can't sign anyone until players leave, and we're desperate for new players, so I doubt there would be much negotiation needed between the clubs.