The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Rover the Moon said:

Petty point scoring attempts regarding East Fife’s previous chairmen and finances are all very well but it can’t be used to ignore what are - yet again - very worrying losses for Rovers.

We must be nearing a cliff edge/crossroads (choose your preferred metaphor) over going part-time or slipping into admin. Can’t see Sim continuing to cover such big figures indefinitely. And the more he has to stump up, the more he’ll presumably take back from profits (?!) out of the pitch hire to repay Stark’s Park Properties - hitting the club in the pocket even more.

Don’t see how going p/t covers that loss.

its £4K a week, on a squad of 20, you’re needing to save £200 per player per week.

Petty point scoring attempts regarding East Fife’s previous chairmen and finances are all very well but it can’t be used to ignore what are - yet again - very worrying losses for Rovers.

We must be nearing a cliff edge/crossroads (choose your preferred metaphor) over going part-time or slipping into admin. Can’t see Sim continuing to cover such big figures indefinitely. And the more he has to stump up, the more he’ll presumably take back from profits (?!) out of the pitch hire to repay Stark’s Park Properties - hitting the club in the pocket even more.

On the contrary, I'd suggest that he's probably more likely to cover the losses given the investment that has been made. Why spend an absolute fortune on a new pitch for a football club only to give up in it a couple of years later?

I'd be amazed if, long term, John Sim's aspirations are for anything more than SPP to break even. For a man of his stature, there are much more painless ways to make whatever modest profits can be made from one hired out football pitch in Kirkcaldy.

He's subsidising losses and making investments that should benefit the club in the long run. It's not ideal, and there's the ever-present "Colin Weir" Sword of Damacles that can scupper everything, but with reduced costs and improved revenues, even in League One, the club is moving towards sustainability.

Don’t see how going p/t covers that loss.
its £4K a week, on a squad of 20, you’re needing to save £200 per player per week.

I know it won’t cover all of the £4K a week but if we’re still losing that amount with a tiny squad including kids like Watson, Tait etc who can’t be on much at all, are you not a bit concerned that this is where we’re at?

On the contrary, I'd suggest that he's probably more likely to cover the losses given the investment that has been made. Why spend an absolute fortune on a new pitch for a football club only to give up in it a couple of years later?

I'd be amazed if, long term, John Sim's aspirations are for anything more than SPP to break even. For a man of his stature, there are much more painless ways to make whatever modest profits can be made from one hired out football pitch in Kirkcaldy.

He's subsidising losses and making investments that should benefit the club in the long run. It's not ideal, and there's the ever-present "Colin Weir" Sword of Damacles that can scupper everything, but with reduced costs and improved revenues, even in League One, the club is moving towards sustainability.

Fair point. But how long is the long run? And what kind of financial state will we be in at that stage if this keeps happening? Promotion changes everything but there’s a fair chance that could elude us again this season. Then what? A £100K loss next year but at least we’re still moving in the right direction? If the Pars were posting figures like this, we’d be up in arms.

22 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

I know it won’t cover all of the £4K a week but if we’re still losing that amount with a tiny squad including kids like Watson, Tait etc who can’t be on much at all, are you not a bit concerned that this is where we’re at?

Fair point. But how long is the long run? And what kind of financial state will we be in at that stage if this keeps happening? Promotion changes everything but there’s a fair chance that could elude us again this season. Then what? A £100K loss next year but at least we’re still moving in the right direction? If the Pars were posting figures like this, we’d be up in arms.

Remember the “loses” was are talking we’re incurred June 2018-May 2019, at which time RR was a full-time team, with an accordingly larger wage bill. On our current roster, we have 5 part-time players and 3 modern apprentices. We also had three loanees, whose pay packets may not be entirely filled from RR’s coffers, and one player out on loan who we may be paying for part of, but whom is unlikely to be on a huge wage. That leaves us paying about half the team full-time wages, so I would suggest that our cost savings are likely pretty decent.

2 hours ago, Frank conner said:
3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:
Harry Panayiotou has tired of the bright lights of Aldershot and he yearns for a return to the San Starko. Let’s make Harry’s dream come true.

For a stint in the mascots costume? That's all he'd be good for.

Outrageous! Have you forgotten his goals against Sevco and Hibs already?

Harry Panayiotou doesn’t do ordinary goals. We should get him back in time for the league decider/play-offs.

Does anyone know if efforts have been made to sell the naming rights of the stadium? Not ideal but the fans will call it Starks anyway and we could do with the extra money even if it isn't a great deal.

Plentyof teams in the leagues are doing it and I noticed even East Fife have a stadium sponsor. That may have been the difference between them making a profit and a loss last year.

Edited by Lang Toun Lad

Any accountants on here? How were the losses made up? How much was wages? How much was medical bills? Did depreciation of the pitch or Stadium in general figure in the losses?

I'm not an expert, but I believe with the (relatively) new rules on micro-company accounts, you'll see much less detail than you used to on the public accounts at Companies House.

You'll be relying on the AGM for answers to questions like that.

Harry Panayiotou doesn’t do ordinary goals. We should get him back in time for the league decider/play-offs.
I remember the Hibs goal did he not miss the penalty in the 3-3 game? Apart from that he didn't do a lot it was more hype because he was on loan from Leicester.

5 minutes ago, Frank conner said:
31 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I remember the Hibs goal did he not miss the penalty in the 3-3 game? Apart from that he didn't do a lot it was more hype because he was on loan from Leicester.

Bring hiiimmmm hoooommmmeeee!

The big issues with decent pitch hire is that associations such as the sfa and woman's fa are all playing thier matches in the west of Scotland. The lower Scotland ranks and women at paisley. There is little to no chance of getting into that kind of market in Kirkcaldy on a regular basis. Too far from the airports and not fit for purpose due to stadia layout. Yes we did have a woman's game in the past but not in recent years. You need to have a lower league team sharing such as lowland league but that's no feasible either. I really hope the halving of the annual debt is due to not paying for training facilities. If is not we are fcuked!! He made claims of it being the best out there. I've played on it and it is superb, with talk of suitability for rugby. Did he not look half a mile along the road at a club who has its own pitch, stand and facilities to see they wouldn't consider moving to a hired ground with no atmosphere. It truly baffles me what he was expecting to use to create revinue.  

What an angry man! I truly believe we have found another 200 club member. Do you stand next to Scottydog? Under no circumstances can a member or members of our board be blamed for our financial mismanagement. Totally laughable
The only thing laughable, Frank, and frequently at that, is the claptrap you bring. And not laughable in a good way.

2 hours ago, Frank conner said:
2 hours ago, TxRover said:
The answer to that question, when reversed, is proven by that statement.

Coming from a guy who couldn't see a deflection for our first goal or who thought Dave's second booking wasn't a yellow.

Frank, the only deflection came from the double vision your likely level of inebriation imbued you with.

As for your defending the use of a word now clearly accepted as a slur, have you no shame, Sir? I suggest a period of reflection away from the keyboard, and quite possibly some anger management. 

What an angry man! I truly believe we have found another 200 club member. Do you stand next to Scottydog? Under no circumstances can a member or members of our board be blamed for our financial mismanagement. Totally laughable

Angry? For calling out your use of a word best left in the past? That's not anger, that's just common decency, pal.

I've never set foot in the 200 Club, nor knowingly stood next to the esteemed Scottydog. Sorry if that doesn't fit in with your Rothschildian view of the Raith Rovers support.

Our previous board consisted of at least one accountant, and John Sim is a former audit partner and Global CEO of one of the top 20 largest accounting firms in the world. Having accountants  on the board or in charge doesn't stop you losing money.