The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not easily offended, spent over thirty years in a job where all you have for entertainment is busting other people’s balls.
Watching the Forfar highlights,, Hail Mary came to mind when we were lumping it up the field. It must come from a good few years refereeing, playing and parenting youth “soccer”. Finally having the time to watch the games on Raith TV makes me think a bit more about the strategy and gameplay aspects of the game versus pure fandom. I shake my head at those that dismiss the quality of League One in derogatory terms...it certainly isn’t a “high standard”, but it can be a quite enjoyable match now and then, with the random turd like Tuesday mixed in. Most of the time, as a fan at this level, it’s a bit of hanging on the edge of the seat to see if they can string together those passes and get a shot off, and slumping back down when a player (too often) misses a pass.

Exactly mate, keep up the good work.

23 minutes ago, kev23 said:

For bonus points, identify the odd men out in the following quote:

“The Tangerines would face stiff competition for Bowie’s signature if they are to make a move with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Leeds, Rangers, Hearts and Hibs reportedly monitoring his progress also.”

(The answer is Dundee, Hearts, and Hibs)

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

To me, that’s been JMcG’s role for Victoria so far. Baird has had a good bit of participation in the passing that has resulted in opportunities, where Gullan seems more likely to hammer a shot from the outside of the box than pass. Not sure Gullan would add to the attack what Baird does...but what do you see in Gullan I’m missing, cause I’m limited in what I see.

Gullan can score more goals, Baird so far hasn't been on his usual form, hes been playing the past few weeks and I would have expected a goal or two in that time but so far he hasn't. Hes had a few opportunities and certainly would have scored them previously . Maybe he lacks match sharpness. I would still rather have Baird signed for us tho rather than someone else as he is a massive pain for defenders 

"A little dip in form" says JMcG...ouch, a little dip, eh? "Not quite firing on all cylinders..., "...as well as they possibly could...", "...we've got two clean sheets in a row..."

Bowie's ankle is not a "major issue", it's a "bit strange". Bowie and Allan out for Montrose with illness...Hendry is running and cutting, building up the knee, but cannot still strike the ball...return is pain related.

1 minute ago, grumswall said:
45 minutes ago, Raithie said:

When you add it to your shopping cart and go to checkout it applies the discount.

Ah makes sense, I already have it but was just looking at the new shop. Won't help sales if it isn't advertised on the link for it.

It appears on Twitter but not on the news feed.

I’ve little doubt if he stays free of injury that young Bowie will move onto a higher level, how high only time will tell and when he does we should hold out for as good a price as we can get not sell to the first Premiership club for a pack of biscuits, a preseason friendly and a loan player. The lad is happy here and in no rush to leave so unless an offer too good to refuse comes in I’m more than happy to keep him. I’d love to see him playing at the top level and as an international one day after a big pay day for the Rovers but we’re a long way from that at this time so let’s just enjoy him wanting to turn out at Starks.

Livingston away = shite draw, not even a good town for a sesh.
There is a large bar under the stand for both sets of fans

Was in the wee Main Stand shop today for the first time, it’s got some amount of stuff in it! Went there to get the Anniversary Vodka & a bottle of beer, came away with a mini scarf for my car also, been after one of those for years - had one on my old car years ago, and forgot about it when I traded it in. Plenty Rovers branded Polo shirts also, white & navy which I suspect will go down a nice treat to a lot of fans.

The club social media pages should deffo be plugging that as much as they can in the lead up to Xmas. Should do a nice wee number.

On 27/11/2019 at 18:57, TxRover said:

So, what do we really have? in my opinion:

Keepers:

McGurn is an acceptable backup, Munro is an excellent starter, but may be away in January (thou Ross have three keepers on the team right now and are leaning heavily on Laidlaw), Thomson we'vre yet to see after his injury.

Backline:

On the back line, we have SAndo, Davo and Bene who can all play well in as CB's in a back 3, with wingbacks outside, but all of whom seem less able in a back 4, regardless of position.

MacDonald is a magnificent left wingback, as is Miller on the right.

McKay is a perfectly usable CB in a 3 and can play the wingback too, at a lower level than the other two.

Watson, I can't say we've seen enough of him at right wingback, and probably won't with Miller healthy....

If McKay can fill for any of the other three CB's, until Davo goes mental and we get an injury at the same time, we're OK there. 

Can GAndo fill in for MacDonald is he's dinged, possibly? Could Tait, unlikely? McKay can probably fill for Miller

So, now everyone tell me the stupid stuff I missed.

Well, with 1.3 recent games of seeing it, McKay simply isn’t cut out as a WB at this level. We either need to play Watson there and leave McKay on the bench, or use McKay to rest Davo/Bene/SAndo so they survive the season. If Watson can’t do it, maybe try GAndo again?

Is there a better solution...