Hank Scorpio

The New Raith Rovers Thread

This is beginning to feel like another topic should be discussed on its own.Is Steven Anderson the best defender in the League what a player and good at interviews as well.
That topic has already been closed. There was no argument against it.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Come back on boxing day.

Is Steven Anderson not getting to play in October?

6 hours ago, grumswall said:
7 hours ago, troy said:
This is beginning to feel like another topic should be discussed on its own.Is Steven Anderson the best defender in the League what a player and good at interviews as well.

That topic has already been closed. There was no argument against it.

Exactly, it’s been Higgins all season and that was ratified at a very high level!!!

Have to say all goals yesterday were cracking finishes in their own right

Vaughan’s sumptuous shot being a prime example. A big shout out to Michael Miller for the 4th goal too.

So a starting line up at full strength would be:

Munro

Davidson

S. Anderson

Benedictus

Miller

MacDonald

Hendry

Matthews (injured) 

Spencer

Vaughan

Baird (until January) 

Subs: McGurn, G. Anderson (hard to sub him though, he’s been brilliant since coming back), Dingwall, McKay, Gullan (until January) , Allan, Bowie.

Victoria, Watson, Tait, Mendy, Smith (injured) Thomson (injured) 

Decent enough depth now. Sort the away form and we are laughing. 

The depth of squad looks great now. I actually feel a lot more confident now of challenging for this league. The acid test will be on Saturday but with Anderson in that back line, I have a feeling that these silly goals will be a thing of the past!

100% it all depends upon these 2 Away games this season, if it’s full 6pts, great stuff, if say it’s 4pts and other results go our way, also fine. But anything less ie. 2 draws, or even a win & a lose, leagues gone and it will be the playoffs - I know it’s early and will be knee jerk, but we’ve rectified the problem areas as mentioned. So surely to f**k, the we’ve rectified the ridiculously cheap goals that have become the norm away from home... 🤞🏻

13 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

100% it all depends upon these 2 Away games this season, if it’s full 6pts, great stuff, if say it’s 4pts and other results go our way, also fine. But anything less ie. 2 draws, or even a win & a lose, leagues gone and it will be the playoffs - I know it’s early and will be knee jerk, but we’ve rectified the problem areas as mentioned. So surely to f**k, the we’ve rectified the ridiculously cheap goals that have become the norm away from home... 🤞🏻

Jesuschristalmighty man, less than a quarter gone, new formation, new players settling in, injured ones returning and as positive a display as we've seen in weeks. Many, many more ups and downs to come - suspensions, injuries, rearranged fixtures, cup runs, players leaving etc, and all of these at every club - not just ours - but 2 draws in next 2 games and we're gubbed? I'm not sure a knee can jerk that high. Well, not at my age anyway.

We've been calling for a back 3 to try and stem the leaking of goals for a while now. Here's hoping it'll sort things out away from home. 

Bad as we are at times in defence, home fixtures have never been the problem. We're brilliant at home and have been for three years. Sadly we have been an unmitigated disaster on the road during the same time. 

We've changed our formation - let's see how it works. 

Judge the next three as a package. All tough, all games we’re capable of losing at our worst, and winning at our best.

A defeat on Saturday is fine if we follow it up with two wins, leaving us with 18 points from Q1 (x4 = 72, enough to at least challenge) and a slightly easier on paper Q2 to come (five home games, only Falkirk from expected top 5 away). Equally a win on Saturday isn’t valuable if we follow it with two defeats.

Would be great to get away from this vicious cycle of gonna win the league/sack the board depending on if we’ve won or lost.

Everyone knows how contrasting our home and away form has been for the last few years but I have looked back to see just how bad. Apologies if it has been done before but since John Hughes took over our record in league games at home is as follows:

Played: 45, Won: 33, Drawn: 9, Lost: 3, Goals for: 99, Goals Against: 35. 

We have won 108 points at an average of 2.4 per game with a goal difference of +64.

Our away record is:

Played: 46, Won: 13, Drawn: 14, Lost: 19, GF: 74, GA: 76.

Giving us 53 points at an average of 1.15 per game with a goal difference of -2. 

Doesn’t really prove much that we didn’t already know. Our home record is very good, our away record is very poor. We still score a good amount away from home but we have conceded more than double the amount of goals we have at home.

Hopefully, with Anderson added, Vaughan back and a change to a more solid looking formation we can finally turn the corner. I’m cautiously optimistic after Saturday but history suggests our home form has no real connection to our away form, let’s hope we can buck that trend over the next couple of weeks. 

Jesuschristalmighty man, less than a quarter gone, new formation, new players settling in, injured ones returning and as positive a display as we've seen in weeks. Many, many more ups and downs to come - suspensions, injuries, rearranged fixtures, cup runs, players leaving etc, and all of these at every club - not just ours - but 2 draws in next 2 games and we're gubbed? I'm not sure a knee can jerk that high. Well, not at my age anyway.

I know, and I am more a glass half full type of person, but these 2 results go very much a long way, just got that feeling. If it’s 6 points, I’m fully expecting the open top bus to be booked by the way.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Judge the next three as a package. All tough, all games we’re capable of losing at our worst, and winning at our best.

A defeat on Saturday is fine if we follow it up with two wins, leaving us with 18 points from Q1 (x4 = 72, enough to at least challenge) and a slightly easier on paper Q2 to come (five home games, only Falkirk from expected top 5 away). Equally a win on Saturday isn’t valuable if we follow it with two defeats.

Would be great to get away from this vicious cycle of gonna win the league/sack the board depending on if we’ve won or lost.

Anywhere between 17-20 points off the first quarter of games is on track for championship winning pace i reckon, every team will have a wobble along the way.

I think arbroath had 20/21 points after the first round of fixtures last year, then stormed it in the next quarter of games with 24, as you say your home games will probably come in handy

Edited by FullTimePint

Interesting next couple of games for Rovers. Your home form's been very impressive for a while so results like Saturday's are kind of expected. 6 points from Airdrie and Forfar and that'll be a mightly impressive haul.

I still feel like Falkirk will come good and pull ahead at some point and I'm hoping we can keep pace but a three way title-challenge between us and Falkirk would be pretty tasty.

56 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Everyone knows how contrasting our home and away form has been for the last few years but I have looked back to see just how bad. Apologies if it has been done before but since John Hughes took over our record in league games at home is as follows:

Played: 45, Won: 33, Drawn: 9, Lost: 3, Goals for: 99, Goals Against: 35. 

We have won 108 points at an average of 2.4 per game with a goal difference of +64.

Our away record is:

Played: 46, Won: 13, Drawn: 14, Lost: 19, GF: 74, GA: 76.

Giving us 53 points at an average of 1.15 per game with a goal difference of -2. 

Doesn’t really prove much that we didn’t already know. Our home record is very good, our away record is very poor. We still score a good amount away from home but we have conceded more than double the amount of goals we have at home.

Hopefully, with Anderson added, Vaughan back and a change to a more solid looking formation we can finally turn the corner. I’m cautiously optimistic after Saturday but history suggests our home form has no real connection to our away form, let’s hope we can buck that trend over the next couple of weeks. 

Imagine averaging a little over 1.6 goals per away game over that period and still managing to win under a third of those matches. Absolutely woeful stuff. But, as you said, not exactly a revelation to any of us.

Something has got to give eventually, lets hope it's an improvement in our away form rather than a drop off in our home form.

From what iv seen so far, east Fife looked the best team we've played, I include Dundee in that. In saying that, I'd be far more confident if we were playing them this week with Anderson and Vaughan in the side though.

What wsr said makes sense in that the next couple of away games will show us if they are going to change our team as we hope. We all know we're very good at home. It is away from home that we need these players to change our fortunes. I think his point was taken too literal.

We cant be considered genuine title challengers until our away form is improved, and we cant consider our away form improved if we end Q1 with any more than 2 away defeats, and probably we need to be looking at 4 points from next 2 games to call it a progression.

The next two games aren't make or break time, but we've had false dawns before.

There isn't really any excuse now - the weak areas have been improved upon and we have genuine depth with some real quality. This current squad, with everyone fit, is superior to last seasons - so its vital we see improvement.

I wasn't impressed by Allan overall until the past couple of games - I certainly think he will thrive with better players around him. The type of player he is isnt someone who is going to spearhead a title charge through goals, but his endeavor and workrate will help the likes of Vaughan and Baird no end.

Difficult decisions for the manager ahead - I dont think Anderson deserves to be dropped at all - he has been far better than anyone thought - but bringing Baird in is a tempting prospect indeed.

My gut feeling is that if S. Anderson, Hendry and Vaughan are all kept fit and available then we will win promotion one way or another - that could/should set us apart from the other sides in this league other than Falkirk, and I'd fancy our chances against anyone in 9th from the Championship. No disrespect intended at all to East Fife (who have had a superb start to this season) or anyone else, but I reckon if we hadn't lost both Hendry and Vaughan we would have been alot closer last season - even with Arbroaths great Q2 run they stuttered from Jan onwards - exactly when our lack of quality was most apparent. Massive focus on fitness though, Vaughan in particular is a bit of a gamble really given his injury record - and all this is on the assumption that Mcglynn has cracked the away problem.

We still lack depth at goalie, with Thompson’s return not assured and Munro leaving in January.

Even after the first quarter it is still hard to predict or get a feel for how the league is going to set out. Nine months and 36 games there will be good and bad runs for most teams. For instance after the first 9 games last season Montrose were bottom, Forfar a point better at 3rd bottom , and Brechin were sitting in a play off spot. Arbroath had won 6 drew 2 and lost one. Raith had 17 points a point better than East Fife. Consistency the key and team continuity, we all know injuries and suspensions at this level are hard to deal with.. I will be very interested how Raith get on in their next two games. Stevie Anderson should help that back line that looked shambolic in Methil. When we played Partick in the Scottish cup last year he looked solid as a rock at the back and even chipped in with the winning goal.