The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’ve answered how long I think he should be given but no one seems to answer any of the questions I’ve put forward. Who is going to replace him? Who’s is going to be brought in to shore up the defence? With what resource?

Im not defending the manager here, what I saw today was not what we had the last time John was here, a long way away from that. But it took him quite a few seasons last time round. Are we suddenly just expectant since we spent like 8 seasons in a row in the second tier once he got us there? I know time is short in Football, especially for a manager. A year is probably long enough to get a proper defence in place though. I’ll agree on that. 

What do most Rovers fans expect though? Ideally 2nd or 3rd. There’s not enough evidence yet to suggest we won’t finish in one of those spots again this season. We did it last year though, on a team carried by Nisbet. That tells you what the rest of the division is like, and judging by the games already this term, these teams won’t have changed much in terms of overall squad ability.

The team we have once everyone is available is more than capable of finishing either 2nd or 3rd. 

Too many Rovers (and many other teams ) fans just seem to just constantly look at the short term, with no clue as to the overall bigger picture. 

Last season is finished, anything McGlynn should be critiqued on should be from this season onwards. Already, things aren’t completely rosey. But here we are, top after 5 games with 2 clean sheets, in the bread and butter of the league campaign. Forget the betfred cup as it’s a glorified extended pre season for clubs at our level. 

3 minutes ago, Wardy said:

I’ve answered how long I think he should be given but no one seems to answer any of the questions I’ve put forward. Who is going to replace him? Who’s is going to be brought in to shore up the defence? With what resource?

Im not defending the manager here, what I saw today was not what we had the last time John was here, a long way away from that. But it took him quite a few seasons last time round. Are we suddenly just expectant since we spent like 8 seasons in a row in the second tier once he got us there? I know time is short in Football, especially for a manager. A year is probably long enough to get a proper defence in place though. I’ll agree on that. 

What do most Rovers fans expect though? Ideally 2nd or 3rd. There’s not enough evidence yet to suggest we won’t finish in one of those spots again this season. We did it last year though, on a team carried by Nisbet. That tells you what the rest of the division is like, and judging by the games already this term, these teams won’t have changed much in terms of overall squad ability.

The team we have once everyone is available is more than capable of finishing either 2nd or 3rd. 

Too many Rovers (and many other teams ) fans just seem to just constantly look at the short term, with no clue as to the overall bigger picture. 

Last season is finished, anything McGlynn should be critiqued on should be from this season onwards. Already, things aren’t completely rosey. But here we are, top after 5 games with 2 clean sheets, in the bread and butter of the league campaign. Forget the betfred cup as it’s a glorified extended pre season for clubs at our level. 

It's not up to Rovers fans to suggest options for the defence though. He is pro actively persisting with a central defensive partnerships that has been a constant part in a side leaking goals. If McGlynn doesent rate Mendy or Mckay, that's fine, but if we don't change something there we don't get promotion. I'd far rather any prospect of Baird coming for any length of time gets in the bin if it removes any chance of bringing in defensive reinforcement. 

Im happy that we will be second as of next week, would have taken that at the start of the season. However, let's be honest, 9 points was the absolute minimum we should have had from those first four fixtures. Today was the first game we've played against a team i reckon will realistically going for top four this season, and we came up well short. 

With the fixtures we have had, to have already lost twice is quite shit, and we have a really tough spell ahead. 

It we don't go up due to a dreadful defence, again, that would be a disaster.

Mcglynn gets until end of Q1 before the tough questions get asked, for me, but there's enough good and bad on display so far to make things uncertain at best. 

The harsh reality is without drastic change in how we defend, personnel or otherwise, we don't get promoted. Regardless of what Vaughan et al do. 

1 minute ago, Wardy said:

The bet fred cup could also bring in some much needed  money. Ok bringing some one else is a gamble but a manager who cant sort out our away form after a year is quite simply a joke. The defense is the biggest problem but he hasn't a clue how to change it to keep playing the same centre half pairing is just baffling but he wont or cant change anything.

To just say who could do better just doesn't cut it anymore our away form will kill another season and if you can't  fix it after a year you simply cant keep on using the excuse "who could do a better job" if the current manager cant we have no choice but try to find  someone who can.

7 minutes ago, Wardy said:

U can't just decide not to look at last seasons issues, as there the same as this seasons... the defending was honkin and this season is even worse. Not identifying and rectifying our most glaring weekness is inexcusable! 

The money prob isn't there to sack him and get someone new in, but serious questions have to be asked under Johns tenure we've taken a step back. You can't live of his past glorys.

1 minute ago, Hadji said:

U can't just decide not to look at last seasons issues, as there the same as this seasons... the defending was honkin and this season is even worse. Not identifying and rectifying our most glaring weekness is inexcusable! 

The money prob isn't there to sack him and get someone new in, but serious questions have to be asked under Johns tenure we've taken a step back. You can't live of his past glorys.

Unfortunately there are to many blinkered by this what Mcglynn did a decade ago will not have any effect on what happens today.

7 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

Unfortunately there are to many blinkered by this what Mcglynn did a decade ago will not have any effect on what happens today.

Exactly football moves on! But to say u cani look at last sesson and judge him on that, and then in the next breath say "yeh look what he did 10 years ago" come on really

Well done to East Fife FC for the tribute to Hugh before the game today. Only became aware of his passing when it was announced at the game. A nicer man you couldn’t meet and I loved the chats we had about the East Fife/ Rovers games of the past. My thoughts are with his friends and family. He would have loved today’s result as much as i hated it. RIP Hugh.

6 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

I know  but I'm the anti christ in that dept.🤨

I think 8/10 fans would now agree McGlynn needs to get his act together next 3 league games could make or break his tenure. 

The atmosphere at the San Starko has fell on its arse attendaces might follow suit when that happens the writings on the wall.

Just now, Hadji said:

I think 8/10 fans would now agree McGlynn needs to get his act together next 3 league games could make or break his tenure. 

The atmosphere at the San Starko has fell on its arse attendaces might follow suit when that happens the writings on the wall.

Our first home league defeat could be the end for him. 

17 minutes ago, Hadji said:

Christ, Frank has a pal. 

Miracles do happen. 

42 minutes ago, Hadji said:

Exactly football moves on! But to say u cani look at last sesson and judge him on that, and then in the next breath say "yeh look what he did 10 years ago" come on really

All I said was that McGlynn shouldn’t be critiqued on last season (my opinion) and that it took him a few seasons last time around to get us back up. I didn’t go into massive detail of his previous tenure or glories. I simply said,  if you actually read my post was that he took more than just one year to simply sort us out. 

I also agreed with the majority that it shouldn’t take him almost a year to sort out a leaky defence.