The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Yep. Basically what we could afford to offer him wasn't enough for him to stay in full time football.

Naturally another season down here leads to yet more harsh realities coming to the fore, but at least we have embraced the hybrid model acknowledging where we are. 

I think it was also Smiths way of telling him how much (or little) he valued him. I am sure if Smith had been really keen to keep him he could have worked his budget to make him a better offer to re-sign than he was offered. A slap in the pus basically.

Still far too early for people to be talking about sacking McGlynn, we’re 3 games in. However, the apparent continuation of last years problems and frailties will see the pressure mount quite quickly if they aren’t rectified.

We’ve brought in new full backs, a new goalkeeper and changed system. Yet we still have the same defensive issues. The only constants are the Davo and Bene partnership and McGlynn himself. I think it’s too simplistic to just blame Bene and Davo. They are not without fault by any means but I think they are part of a bigger issue. I may be mistaken but I don’t recall many individual defensive howlers in the last season and a bit (Mendy aside obviously). I think the issues probably stem more from the way we play. I think we are too open away from home. 

There is no doubt we are far better to watch under McGlynn than under Smith and I enjoyed watching us at Starks for the most part last season. However, the emphasis on playing out from the back and being an attacking side leaves us vulnerable away from home. Barry Smith’s side were dreadful to watch but the route 1 no risk basic football certainly helped us have a solid defensive record.

I’m definitely not advocating we go back to that style of play but we need to find the right balance, particularly away from home. By all accounts we were more direct and less flowing against Dumbarton and that resulted in a rare away clean sheet.

Looking back at the stats, since the start of last season we have conceded 54 goals in 30 competitive games away from home. We have conceded 2 or more in 17 of those games, over half our away games. We have only kept 4 clean sheets. It’s clear we going nowhere if that continues, I have faith McGlynn can find a solution but he needs to find it fast.

Edited by R.R.FC

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Still far too early for people to be talking about sacking McGlynn, we’re 3 games in. However, the apparent continuation of last years problems and frailties will see the pressure mount quite quickly if they aren’t rectified.

We’ve brought in new full backs, a new goalkeeper and changed system. Yet we still have the same defensive issues. The only constants are the Davo and Bene partnership and McGlynn himself. I think it’s too simplistic to just blame Bene and Davo. They are not without fault by any means but I think they are part of a bigger issue. I may be mistaken but I don’t recall many individual defensive howlers in the last season and a bit (Mendy aside obviously). I think the issues probably stem more from the way we play. I think we are too open away from home. 

There is no doubt we are far better to watch under McGlynn than under Smith and I enjoyed watching us at Starks for the most part last season. However, the emphasis on playing out from the back and being an attacking side leaves us vulnerable away from home. Barry Smith’s side were dreadful to watch but the route 1 no risk basic football certainly helped us have a solid defensive record.

I’m definitely not advocating we go back to that style of play but we need to find the right balance, particularly away from home. By all accounts we were more direct and less flowing against Dumbarton and that resulted in a rare away clean sheet.

Looking back at the stats, since the start of last season we have conceded 54 goals in 30 competitive games away from home. We have conceded 2 or more in 17 of those games, over half our away games. We have only kept 4 clean sheets. It’s clear we going nowhere if that continues, I have faith McGlynn can find a solution but he needs to find it fast.

Granted they were pretty shite, but the second half against Dumbarton was probably the best we have defended in a long time, and it was quite direct. 

16 hours ago, Wee Sandy said:

Some of the stuff on here is beyond belief!!

Here's one for the more extreme knicker wetters... most of whom were NOT at the game. .....

When we sack McGlynn ( not that he remotely deserves it) where does the money come from to pay him off, PLUS where do we get the money (not that we have any) for a replacement Manager...and who would do a better job than John McGlynn?

Hmmmm................strange I never got a reasoned answer to this question.

Maybe we could get another Gary Locke, or even, John Hughes, or...or..?

Edited by Wee Sandy

Surely his tactics were correct upto 83 mins? As the Rovers were leading 2-1 . However i do concede he hasnt really strengthened our centre halves positions but for some people to panic is just crazy. Look at the miles the team has travelled over the last fortnight more than any other team in the lower divisions and also having to play 80% fit players doesnt help either. We are a club with a heavy debt and our squad is what we can afford end of, i too arent happy after yesterdays result but come on common sense must privail

Surely his tactics were correct upto 83 mins? As the Rovers were leading 2-1 . However i do concede he hasnt really strengthened our centre halves positions but for some people to panic is just crazy. Look at the miles the team has travelled over the last fortnight more than any other team in the lower divisions and also having to play 80% fit players doesnt help either. We are a club with a heavy debt and our squad is what we can afford end of, i too arent happy after yesterdays result but come on common sense must privail
I personally think people need to wait till mendy has played a few games without having the effects of a concusion to judge whether mcglynn has successfully fixed the cb positions. Mendy seems to have been the plan b when Murray was sold and I'd like to think Murray was intended as a cb this season for us. He's done pretty well for the pars so far in that position. I do wish he would give mckay a run of games at cb aswell and he will have to at some stage this season. Would people be questioning keeping him on if he makes mistakes though?

What's everyones view on McGylnns post match interview? 

All credit to the interviewer for keeping a cool calm head and trying to continue with his interview, I get the frustration with this result but no need to speak to anyone never mind someone who gives up his time to give us a fantastic covarge of the Rovers.

Just now, Hadji said:

What's everyones view on McGylnns post match interview? 

All credit to the interviewer for keeping a cool calm head and trying to continue with his interview, I get the frustration with this result but no need to speak to anyone never mind someone who gives up his time to give us a fantastic covarge of the Rovers.

I just saw your post on twitter about it, unacceptable in my opinion. These guys are volunteers and the amount of work they put in probably accounts to that of a second job. McGlynn is in the wrong here and hope he apologises.

I'm more than happy with McGlynn in charge but he looks like a man under a bit pressure in his post match interview. Very weird comments and if it's going to come down to asking the interviewer to single out players who he thinks are making mistakes, he'd be better letting Paul Smith do the interviews.

I've just watched Mcglynns interview Mendy should play on Tuesday and unfortunately Victoria is out for 3 to 4 weeks. He got a bit upset when Davie asked about the defense but it's the same mistakes time and time again my 90 gran could have closed down their player for the first goal it certainly wasn't Mcgurns fault.

The fact that we are predominantly full time is the main reason we have a small squad plus starting the season with 3 long term injuries. 

2 minutes ago, kev23 said:

I'm more than happy with McGlynn in charge but he looks like a man under a bit pressure in his post match interview. Very weird comments and if it's going to come down to asking the interviewer to single out players who he thinks are making mistakes, he'd be better letting Paul Smith do the interviews.

I thought it was pretty rude towards Davie as he has every right to ask the question. I doubt it will happen but if I was a director I would be asking the same thing. 

I just saw your post on twitter about it, unacceptable in my opinion. These guys are volunteers and the amount of work they put in probably accounts to that of a second job. McGlynn is in the wrong here and hope he apologises.

Agree he should apologise. I think he's more annoyed at not having the funds to strengthen the team than at the actual question though. Still doesn't give him the right to speak to davie like that.

Agree he should apologise. I think he's more annoyed at not having the funds to strengthen the team than at the actual question though. Still doesn't give him the right to speak to davie like that.

Whatever happened to the outside investors. McKinnon was able garner such deals. Why can’t McGlynn. Does John lack the charisma to get the cash. Any thoughts on this or will I await the usual buzzwords?!?!

8 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Theres not much more the club can do in terms of funds we have nearly 1k season ticket holders and almost 250 fans are paying into the players fund. He did say he was happy with the squad we have and injuries are inevitable. 

2 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Whatever happened to the outside investors. McKinnon was able garner such deals. Why can’t McGlynn. Does John lack the charisma to get the cash. Any thoughts on this or will I await the usual buzzwords?!?!

They probably got scared off especially after the Rudi Skacel debacle. If there is to be a snap election I'm sure Gordon Brown will be looking for some publicity 😉

Buzzwords?!?!?!?!?! As Frank says, they've probably been put off after seing it going to waste signing pish like skacel when he was over the hill. I can't really say mckinnon is a man who's ever struck me as having great charisma.

Theres not much more the club can do in terms of funds we have nearly 1k season ticket holders and almost 250 fans are paying into the players fund. He did say he was happy with the squad we have and injuries are inevitable. 

I agree, we are where we are in terms of debt and looking to reduce this while attempting to gain promotion. He probably said that to attempt to put confidence into the players he does have rather than him really being happy with the size of squad.

17 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Rudi. Skacel. 

Mcglynns interview is absolutely awful. Dreadful stuff from him towards someone who travels up and down the country to give the fans some content like that. 

As much of a fan as I am, he comes across as wn absolute fool there.