The New Raith Rovers Thread

He is lightning quick but lacks any real football brain. Was played out wide for us which didn’t help. His pace alone would be problematic for defences if played through the middle at that level, but don’t ask him to do any sort of linking up.

He is lightning quick but lacks any real football brain. Was played out wide for us which didn’t help. His pace alone would be problematic for defences if played through the middle at that level, but don’t ask him to do any sort of linking up.

He’s no positional sense though. So he’ll just run around very fast, but completely aimlessly. I heard somebody describe him playing for us as if we’d put an energetic dog on the pitch. Just ran around looking for the ball.

3 hours ago, renton said:

It's not a matter of fitness. From what I've seen in the competitive games, it's a matter firstly of not being up to the pace of the game - not physically - but in terms of being able to mentally react. In the Dundee game he either took too much time on the ball, or has now swung to the opposite case last night, panicking in a tight spot and playing the P'Heid boy in to score. Secondly it's a question of not understanding how to shape his body to make his strength count: Against Dundee, caught under a nothing high ball and nudged out of the way by the Dundee forward, or failing to try and block off White's run at the corner vs. ICT. That may be down to the standard of players he's used to in the French league he was playing in.

Both of those can be remedied I think. It's a question of where we find the time, without the reserve league, to do so.

In hindsight McGlynn made a mistake playing him from the start against Dundee and ICT.  It's completely destroyed the boys confidence, and it seems like the rest of the team are losing confidence in him too.  Bringing him off the bench over a few games to ease him in would have been the better option, but I don't think anybody expected him to have such a disastrous start to his time with us.  It's not going to get any easier for him either as any opposition manager who's seen us play will have their players pressuring the hell out of him if he's playing.

On the plus side, at least it was Bene he was on the pitch with last night when he made that mistake and not Davo, as Davo would have gone mental at him.... again.  Whereas Bene was still encouraging him and talking him through the game.  Also the fans still seem to be on his side at the moment, cheering him when he does anything vaguely ok, not sure how long that will last though.     I know when he came on everybody around me was making jokes about him giving away a goal, and I can't be the only one who when he headed that cross behind for a corner late on fully expected him to head it into our own net.

Edited by SanStarko

This. Compared to even the likes of Bowie, Osei didn't have a clue. He'd look sheepishly at other players to check if he was in the right area rather than instinctively moving unto space. His one goal came on account of his pace and a Highland League defender half arsing a run back to a ball.

Headless chicken, no awareness of where he should be in regards to tactics or formation of the team  
Do you want a centre back in a similar vein? 

I wonder if we will end up loaning him out to the likes of Berwick or Cowdenbeath?

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I wonder if we will end up loaning him out to the likes of Berwick or Cowdenbeath?

No because that would mean mcglynn publicly admitting an error of judgement. We'll have to get him up to speed as fast as possible, and play him when injuries and suspension kicks in

Ross Perry mk II 

24 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

I see Booth has left Dundee United today.. 

Bit of an odd time to leave/be emptied. Surely if he wasn't in Neilson's plans he'd have gone at the end of last season.

Hopefully we leave Hendry out for Saturday. That Cove pitch is absolutely horrendous and they apparently were quite "robust" with their challenges vs Inverness. 

I know it is effectively a dead rubber but I think it’s still important we play our best XI on Saturday so we get up a bit of momentum going into the season. It is really important we start strongly this season. It would be a more than a bit shite if we rested players, lost and then it’s panic stations going to Dumbarton next week.

Obviously it would be massively shite if Hendry got another season ending injury but he’s been fine on that front this pre season and we can’t wrap the guy up in cotton wool. He’s going to have to play on his fair share of shitty pitches this season anyway.

22 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I know it is effectively a dead rubber but I think it’s still important we play our best XI on Saturday so we get up a bit of momentum going into the season. It is really important we start strongly this season. It would be a more than a bit shite if we rested players, lost and then it’s panic stations going to Dumbarton next week.

Obviously it would be massively shite if Hendry got another season ending injury but he’s been fine on that front this pre season and we can’t wrap the guy up in cotton wool. He’s going to have to play on his fair share of shitty pitches this season anyway.

Would agree with this and I think McGlynn will go with his first choice 11. We need to try and build a bit of momentum and confidence going into the league season. After such a lengthy spell out I think Hendry will be desperate to keep getting games under his belt. It’s a risk and I can see the argument against it but I’d like us to go full strength.

I’d say from what I’ve seen so far our strongest team is:

Munro

Miller-Davo-Bene-MacDonald

Spencer-Matthews-Hendry

Bowie-Allan-Anderson

Personally I would like to see McGurn get a run out, haven’t been overly convinced by Munro but I think McGlynn will stick with him just now.

Edited by R.R.FC

5 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Would agree with this and I think McGlynn will go with his first choice 11. We need to try and build a bit of momentum and confidence going into the league season. After such a lengthy spell out I think Hendry will be desperate to keep getting games under his belt. It’s a risk and I can see the argument against it but I’d like us to go full strength.

I’d say from what I’ve seen so far our strongest team is:

Munro

Miller-Davo-Bene-MacDonald

Spencer-Matthews-Hendry

Bowie-Allan-Anderson

Personally I would like to see McGurn get a run out, haven’t been overly convinced by Munro but I think McGlynn will stick with him just now.

Only 3 of last seasons regulars left. Obviously not a new thing but it's stark when you see it written out like that.

6 minutes ago, renton said:

Only 3 of last seasons regulars left. Obviously not a new thing but it's stark when you see it written out like that.

Yeah it’s been a pretty huge turnover which I think was why McGlynn was so keen to get his business done early.

I’m a big JM fan and defended him a lot last season because it was Smith’s unbalanced and ill prepared squad he inherited. However, it’s definitely his team now and he’s had a full summer to build it. He won’t get anything like the same leeway although expectations may be slightly different this season.

If you had told the fans they could only start the first game of this season with 3 regulars from last season, I’m not sure many would have picked Davo, Bene and Matthews. In fairness the injured trio of Vaughan, Dingwall and Hendry would've been near the top of the must keep list for most, if not all. However, Matthews came on to a game at the tail end of last season and looks well suited to an energetic midfield 3. Big season for him he needs to establish himself as key in the middle of the park. He’ll be 24 this season, he needs to fulfil his potential.

Davo and Bene were poor last season there is no getting away from that. However, I feel there were mitigating circumstances. The midfield was painfully slow and lacking energy, the full backs were very poor and the goalkeepers were changed constantly with Lyness in particular looking very dodgy.

McGlynn has attempted to fix all of the above, I’m pretty confident in saying he has addressed the midfield issues. It is far too soon to tell with MacDonald and Miller but Tuesday was the first time in a long time where I have walked away from a game thinking both full backs have impressed. Jury is out on Munro also but McGurn as back up lessens that risk IMO. It will be interesting to see if these changes affect the performances of Davo and Bene but Tuesday was an encouraging start. 

4 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Hopefully we leave Hendry out for Saturday. That Cove pitch is absolutely horrendous and they apparently were quite "robust" with their challenges vs Inverness. 

Have only seen the one game on Cove,s pitch but cannot say it seemed any worse than other plastic pitches. The one at Starks seemed to throw up some funny bounces on Tuesday night with normally steady defenders getting caught out a few times, these pitches probably take a while to bed in.