Hank Scorpio

The New Raith Rovers Thread

22 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

Not the best pic but Bene is looking to win that header and is held back by the Caley player who is on the line. Clear foul. Screenshot_20190721_180502_com.android.chrome.jpeg

Even this still shows the defender has Walsh's shirt nearly off him.  Clear penalty, if White doesn't score.

The Raith player is clearly capable of putting in a challange to clear the ball. Walsh had no part to play in the goal.

Even this still shows the defender has Walsh's shirt nearly off him.  Clear penalty, if White doesn't score.

14 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

The Raith player is clearly capable of putting in a challange to clear the ball. Walsh had no part to play in the goal.

Well why did he choose to pull Walsh's shirt then instead of challenging for the ball? 

6 hours ago, foreverarover said:

Not the best pic but Bene is looking to win that header and is held back by the Caley player who is on the line. Clear foul. Screenshot_20190721_180502_com.android.chrome.jpeg

Not Bene, it’s Matthews and yes, it IS a foul, no goal had this been scored at the women’s World Cup anyway!  We don’t have VAR though and there are plenty other things wrong with the ‘defending’ of this goal that McGlynn needs to address sharpish.

We re-signed Davo, we have yet to add a right back and we essentially swapped our best CB (Murray) for Mendy who has started woefully...Over to you Gaffer

8 hours ago, Pride of Fife said:

Not Bene, it’s Matthews and yes, it IS a foul, no goal had this been scored at the women’s World Cup anyway!  We don’t have VAR though and there are plenty other things wrong with the ‘defending’ of this goal that McGlynn needs to address sharpish.

We re-signed Davo, we have yet to add a right back and we essentially swapped our best CB (Murray) for Mendy who has started woefully...Over to you Gaffer

Not sure Davo's done much wrong since the Summer break to warrant his re-signing being used as a stick to bash McGlynn. 

Mendy was all over the shop with both the first goal and the next corner that White narrowly hit wide. He's struggling massively with the pace of the game and the physicality. He get's brushed off by White on the turn and then left for dead. It's not enough to have the physical build, you have to know how to apply it and he seems very unprepared in that respect. You can teach it, but it's not like we have a lot of time here.

We're as well giving him at least the Peterhead game, but by the time Cove rolls around we might be looking at a massive restructure of the defence which will need that game to practice for prior to the league starting.

I haven’t actually made any of the matches thus far due to work and other commitments. Watched a few highlights. 

The defending up in Inverness wasn’t up to much, but you could say Inverness did put pretty inviting balls into the box. Corners are conceded even at the highest level of football, look at Barcelona at Anfield for example. Was that down to bad defending?  Or genius from Alexander Arnold? Probably a bit of both. Most of the time that’s what corner goals are, a good delivery and some poor defending. 

Every goal on Saturday was from a cross. Inverness’s defending at our goal wasn’t too pretty either. 

Roll on Tuesday night. Will be my first match of the season and looking forward to it. Hopefully they can play with a bit of confidence knowing it’s unlikely we’ll advance from the group (when have we ever anyway?)

Wasn't at the game so going by what folk have said on this and the highlights, if we controlled spells of the game, and get beat 4-1 it's slightly worrying. Also the fact that we cannot defend corners, following on from last season is equally worrying. McGlynn is starting to trouble me now with that fact that he hasn't got a recognised rb and has intimated that he is happy with the current squad, why... No idea.

Side note, having Anderson on the post for defending corners is absolute madness. Arguably our best header of the ball and we are wasting him on the post.. I'd much rather have him or Bene marking the oppositions most threatening player, not Mendy who hasn't shown any defending prowess at all. Almost as confusing as having the unit Wedderburn back at the half way line when we had an attacking corner..

38 minutes ago, Holy Marv said:

Wasn't at the game so going by what folk have said on this and the highlights, if we controlled spells of the game, and get beat 4-1 it's slightly worrying. Also the fact that we cannot defend corners, following on from last season is equally worrying. McGlynn is starting to trouble me now with that fact that he hasn't got a recognised rb and has intimated that he is happy with the current squad, why... No idea.

Side note, having Anderson on the post for defending corners is absolute madness. Arguably our best header of the ball and we are wasting him on the post.. I'd much rather have him or Bene marking the oppositions most threatening player, not Mendy who hasn't shown any defending prowess at all. Almost as confusing as having the unit Wedderburn back at the half way line when we had an attacking corner..

In fairness that's an argument for dropping Mendy, not for not having Anderson on the post.

Not sure Davo's done much wrong since the Summer break to warrant his re-signing being used as a stick to bash McGlynn. 
Mendy was all over the shop with both the first goal and the next corner that White narrowly hit wide. He's struggling massively with the pace of the game and the physicality. He get's brushed off by White on the turn and then left for dead. It's not enough to have the physical build, you have to know how to apply it and he seems very unprepared in that respect. You can teach it, but it's not like we have a lot of time here.
We're as well giving him at least the Peterhead game, but by the time Cove rolls around we might be looking at a massive restructure of the defence which will need that game to practice for prior to the league starting.

Absolutely fucking this.

I'd say Benedictus is more detrimental to our defence than Davidson to be honest. 

In fairness that's an argument for dropping Mendy, not for not having Anderson on the post.

I think it pretty much means that dropping Mendy is the only way forward. McGlynn is to blame for not replacing the defence or forward positions adequately. If he says he’s happy with this squad then god help us.

I'd say Benedictus is more detrimental to our defence than Davidson to be honest. 

McGlynn’s loyalty to Davo is unbelievable. We scored a shit ton of goals and lost a shit ton of goals in roughly equal measure last season. This season might just be the same, without the scoring of a shit ton of goals if you know what I mean....kind of. It was the best way to articulate the meaning.

Just now, baillieinleeds said:

I think it pretty much means that dropping Mendy is the only way forward. McGlynn is to blame for not replacing the defence or forward positions adequately. If he says he’s happy with this squad then god help us.

I'm not concerned with the forward positions yet.  Hendry is going to offer a lot of drive forward from the middle of the park in a way we've not actually had for a long time. Victoria caused Dundee's defence all kinds of problems, even if his tactical sense isn't brilliant. Allan took his goal well, no reason why he couldn't do well for us this season. Vaughan and Dingwall still to come back in. Even in an injury hit season where he barely got a run of games together, Vaughan still averaged just under a goal a game. 

He does need to make a decision on the defence and soon. In fairness, there are a number of combinations he could play that don't involve Mendy, we aren't that reliant on him coming good. However, he's going to have to make a call on whether to cut and run sooner rather than later in that respect.

I'm not concerned with the forward positions yet.  Hendry is going to offer a lot of drive forward from the middle of the park in a way we've not actually had for a long time. Victoria caused Dundee's defence all kinds of problems, even if his tactical sense isn't brilliant. Allan took his goal well, no reason why he couldn't do well for us this season. Vaughan and Dingwall still to come back in. Even in an injury hit season where he barely got a run of games together, Vaughan still averaged just under a goal a game. 
He does need to make a decision on the defence and soon. In fairness, there are a number of combinations he could play that don't involve Mendy, we aren't that reliant on him coming good. However, he's going to have to make a call on whether to cut and run sooner rather than later in that respect.

Precisely, in all fairness I was expecting another kikkuman bottle pic lol

Precisely, in all fairness I was expecting another kikkuman bottle pic lol

ETA, I’m looking forward to seeing Hendry, he’ll be the target of some robust challenges in this league no doubt as has Vaughan in recent times.

I forgot to press edit too.

I’ll see how we get on against Peterhead on Tuesday. We are miles and miles behind championship level. So a team just promoted should be a barometer of how good or bad we are. By the looks of things and this is just a personal opinion. We aren’t even close to being ready. I’ll retract this statement if we are competitive and win on the night.

Mendy simply has to come out, his defending from the corner is like a charity match where everyone is having a carry on.

He’s literally just let him stroll off him.

1 hour ago, raith-radgie said:

Mendy simply has to come out, his defending from the corner is like a charity match where everyone is having a carry on.

He’s literally just let him stroll off him.

D2C0E52C-641A-4C49-8F6C-04D00A503A72.jpeg

Mendy is on a 2 year deal, so obviously the management team saw something there. Its that difficult situation of letting him grow into the game, but we don’t really have that luxury – especially in a position under as much scrutiny as the defence.

Mcglynn has loaded a fair bit of pressure on himself though. Its well documented and universally accepted that the defence was rubbish last season – if he has went out and weakened it further then that’s a bad position for him to be in. He would have a bit more leeway I guess with the Mendy situation If he had actually went out and sorted the right back area, but he hasn’t done that either as of yet. 

Its really early days, the league cup is absolutely mental so its important not to get carried away – but the scrutiny will start in under 2 weeks time.