The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, Frank conner said:
Apart from Mendy on Saturday they weren't that bad tbf considering the opposition. 

Very true. How do you think the squad is looking at this stage?

Not to bad the real test will be against Peterhead and cove. On Saturday I thought Bene would've been a better partner for Mendy the young keeper is  pretty good although some folk were a bit harsh in their criticism of his distribution.  He's young and let's face it outfield players aren't that great at passing either. 

It certainly looks a better team than last season but we really need to nail down a right back if Watson isn't the man then we HAVE to bring someone in. As for up front we certainly cant rely on Anderson for goals and Keiron is still a bit raw. Hopefully we might be able to bring in another striker to help Lewis at least until Vaughan is fit.

I'm certainly hopeful that we can at least push for 2nd obviously I'd love to win the league but we shouldn't have to much to fear from the other teams Falkirk will be the favourites but I don't think they will run away with it . We really need to get off to a good start we can't afford to give Falkirk a head start and for the fans to get disgruntled. 

Not to bad the real test will be against Peterhead and cove. On Saturday I thought Bene would've been a better partner for Mendy the young keeper is  pretty good although some folk were a bit harsh in their criticism of his distribution.  He's young and let's face it outfield players aren't that great at passing either. 
It certainly looks a better team than last season but we really need to nail down a right back if Watson isn't the man then we HAVE to bring someone in. As for up front we certainly cant rely on Anderson for goals and Keiron is still a bit raw. Hopefully we might be able to bring in another striker to help Lewis at least until Vaughan is fit.
I'm certainly hopeful that we can at least push for 2nd obviously I'd love to win the league but we shouldn't have to much to fear from the other teams Falkirk will be the favourites but I don't think they will run away with it . We really need to get off to a good start we can't afford to give Falkirk a head start and for the fans to get disgruntled. 

Mendy did look better next to bene in the friendly's. Davo did fine on Saturday for the most though. I'd rather play mcgurn than munro but he isn't the worst 'keeper we've had in recent seasons. I'd agree we do still need to sign a rb but I can't see it with mckay, watson and Miller all able to play there. Priority signing wise for me would be a striker. I'm not convinced Allan or ando will score goals although Allan does look like he will be perfect for linking the play. If we are to have a successful season (promotion) we are going to need to get Vaughan fit and keep him fit. He's the only one we have who is a goalscorer on paper at least.

Unrelated point, but who was the guy warming munro up on Saturday?

4 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Mendy did look better next to bene in the friendly's. Davo did fine on Saturday for the most though. I'd rather play mcgurn than munro but he isn't the worst 'keeper we've had in recent seasons. I'd agree we do still need to sign a rb but I can't see it with mckay, watson and Miller all able to play there. Priority signing wise for me would be a striker. I'm not convinced Allan or ando will score goals although Allan does look like he will be perfect for linking the play. If we are to have a successful season (promotion) we are going to need to get Vaughan fit and keep him fit. He's the only one we have who is a goalscorer on paper at least.

Unrelated point, but who was the guy warming munro up on Saturday?

I'm not sure I cant believe Lyness got a gig at St Mirren football is strange.

Surprised if we didn’t at least ask the question if he was available.. would have taken him back in a heartbeat.
Striker situation is giving cause for concern.
A38F2E11-9A63-44E7-B9D4-1167D41509DF.thumb.jpeg.bbe5c41e82151d999ce0af562d31987f.jpeg

Bearing in mind we had to get a local company to help us out with his wages when we were in the Championship, I’d imagine he’s now in a category of player we’d have very little chance of bringing in, unfortunately.

Would really like us to reveal this jackpot hitting loan striker tbqh though.

Surprised if we didn’t at least ask the question if he was available.. would have taken him back in a heartbeat.
Striker situation is giving cause for concern.
A38F2E11-9A63-44E7-B9D4-1167D41509DF.thumb.jpeg.bbe5c41e82151d999ce0af562d31987f.jpeg

Am I the only one who thought McManus was shite for us? Couldn’t jump, and movement was similar to an 80 year old. I always said he played the game like he had a cement boots on his feet. He was excellent at Morton when they were in this league, or so his goal record would suggest anyway.

Am I the only one who thought McManus was shite for us? Couldn’t jump, and movement was similar to an 80 year old. I always said he played the game like he had a cement boots on his feet. He was excellent at Morton when they were in this league, or so his goal record would suggest anyway.
No you're not. I thought he was dug meat.

After the brief chat I had with McGlynn on Saturday I was left with the opinion that there will be no further signings this window. I asked if he was worried where the goals were coming from and he said no. He reckons if they share them about we will be fine. An average of 5 a piece for Allan, Anderson, Henry, Victoria, Spencer, Bowie, Dingwall and another 5 from the rest would give us 40 goals add in double figures for Vaughan and there's 50 goals. Not ideal but it is what it is and if we can work out how to keep the back door shut we will be fine. I did ask about the jackpot player and John just said we didn't get him and it won't be happening. Just have to wait until Jan and we sign HSWHW's on loan.

8 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

After the brief chat I had with McGlynn on Saturday I was left with the opinion that there will be no further signings this window. I asked if he was worried where the goals were coming from and he said no. He reckons if they share them about we will be fine. An average of 5 a piece for Allan, Anderson, Henry, Victoria, Spencer, Bowie, Dingwall and another 5 from the rest would give us 40 goals add in double figures for Vaughan and there's 50 goals. Not ideal but it is what it is and if we can work out how to keep the back door shut we will be fine. I did ask about the jackpot player and John just said we didn't get him and it won't be happening. Just have to wait until Jan and we sign HSWHW's on loan.

Not ideal really. I mean 50 goals scored is barely enough to be serious about a top 4 finish and we'd be utterly sunk if that goal tally were combined with last year's GA column.

While you wouldn't want to waste money, I can't believe there wasn't another single loan player available that would improve the team....

Edited by renton

Not ideal really. I mean 50 goals scored is barely enough to be serious about a top 4 finish and we'd be utterly sunk if that goal tally were combined with last year's GA column.
While you wouldn't want to waste money, I can't believe there wasn't another single loan player available that would improve the team....

The idea of going into the league season with 2 recognised strikers, with a combined total of 6 professional goals between them, in Allan and Smith, isn't one that fills me with great confidence. Bowie seems to be favoured out wide and we really can't depend on Vaughan coming back at the end of August and banging in 25+ goals over a season.

8 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Lots of 1-0’s. But with our defence that looks unlikely. 

Then again, there aren't that many imposing strike forces in the league this year either.

(Straw clutching intensifies)