The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Frank conner said:

I'm no having Dundonions taking the piss out of my club although I heard you welcomed Drysdale with open arms. Care to explain?

Nobody took the piss out of your club m9, it was you we were taking the piss out of.

Anyway, that was never a pen for your team. The ball was well won, a great tackle. 

What is he even trying to do for the first goal? He doesn't clear it, doesn't attempt to control it or shepherd it back to the keeper. Strange.

2nd is a blatant penalty. He's too enthusiastic to play the ball when he should just close off the space.

Third goal he has no clue where Nelson is and Spencer has to drop back and try and help out.

What is he even trying to do for the first goal? He doesn't clear it, doesn't attempt to control it or shepherd it back to the keeper. Strange.
2nd is a blatant penalty. He's too enthusiastic to play the ball when he should just close off the space.
Third goal he has no clue where Nelson is and Spencer has to drop back and try and help out.

Cheers Geoff.

We were well beaten in the end by a far, far better side. Not necessarily a problem in the grand scheme lf things, we won't be playing anyone as good as Dundee in League 1.

That said Mendy looked so unbelievably out of his depth. Its early days and hopefully he's just adjusting to the Scottish game, so let's see. 

Ref got the main decisions right looking at the highlights. Mendy has to be stronger for the first goal, was a calamity of shite for the second and Matthews bundled off the ball far too easily for the pen claim. 

We won't get a reasonable barometer until the Peterhead and Cove games so no time to panic, yet, but it's incredibly disappointing to start yet another competitive campaign like that. 

First game this season as I don’t do friendlies , Mendy  gift wrapped  2 first half goals and was to slow on the ball at times. Hendry what a player at our level ran the show for Rovers with help from Spencer and Mathews. As for the ref how can anyone played advantage on a stone wall penalty is beyond me but his overall performance was diabolical to say the least with nearly every Rovers challenge being penalised with a booking yet Dundee escape punishment for exactly the same type of challenge. Overall I thought 3-0 flattered Dundee and as others have eluded to we won’t be facing a team like Dundee every week you could look at it an other way Stirling took Hibs to penalties and Cowdenbeath beat East Fife both who we have beaten in pre season friendlies I’m not going to lose sleep losing to Dundee and canny believe some of the comments I’m no buying a season ticket not contributing to the players fund based on one game really!

We were well beaten in the end by a far, far better side. Not necessarily a problem in the grand scheme lf things, we won't be playing anyone as good as Dundee in League 1. That said Mendy looked so unbelievably out of his depth. Its early days and hopefully he's just adjusting to the Scottish game, so let's see. 

Ref got the main decisions right looking at the highlights. Mendy has to be stronger for the first goal, was a calamity of shite for the second and Matthews bundled off the ball far too easily for the pen claim. 

We won't get a reasonable barometer until the Peterhead and Cove games so no time to panic, yet, but it's incredibly disappointing to start yet another competitive campaign like that. 

It’s a total cop-out to say “oh, but it was Dundee!” I suspect that most League 1 teams would have had similar joy from Mendy. You can’t even play like that at League 1 level and expect to get away with it. I can only imagine the vitriol Davidson would be getting if he had put in that kind of performance. Dundee were the better side, but take Mendy out and it’s possibly a closer game. Or maybe Dundee would just go up a gear.

As you say, Mendy looked so unbelievably out of his depth. He totally looks the part, now we just need to teach him to play football.

I still wouldn’t be totally panicking if we have another shit League Cup campaign. Since they went to group stages I’ve lost interest in these games as qualifying is always going to be more difficult for League 1 and League 2 teams. The group stages are shite. I can see why they scrapped them previously.

If we get pumped at Dumbarton on the opening day, then follow that up with a home defeat to Clyde, that would be when to start really panicking.

If Mendy can get up to speed then he could still be an asset. I’d give him some more games to see. If he can’t, then drop him and decide whether McKay or Bene will partner Davidson. With the other playing kiddy-on right back. It can be just like last season. Then when someone gets injured Mendy is back and we can all watch through our fingers to see if he’s improved any.

I really, really hope we haven’t signed a donkey. McGlynn must have seen a player so hopefully he can get that working on the park. My fear is that we’ve been a bit desperate and we’ve fallen for the ‘I am the foreign boy and I have a video reel of me making a few tackles.’ Is Mendy this seasons Spanish Boy?

I’m hoping he’ll turn out okay, given we don’t have a lot of options in defence. *crosses fingers*

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It’s a total cop-out to say “oh, but it was Dundee!” I suspect that most League 1 teams would have had similar joy from Mendy. You can’t even play like that at League 1 level and expect to get away with it. I can only imagine the vitriol Davidson would be getting if he had put in that kind of performance.

As you say, Mendy looked so unbelievably out of his depth. He totally looks the part, now we just need to teach him to play football.

I still wouldn’t be totally panicking if we have another shit League Cup campaign. Since they went to group stages I’ve lost interest in these games as qualifying is always going to be more difficult for League 1 and League 2 teams. The group stages are shite. I can see why they scrapped them previously.

If we get pumped at Dumbarton on the opening day, then follow that up with a home defeat to Clyde, that would be when to start really panicking.

If Mendy can get up to speed then he could still be an asset. I’d give him some more games to see. If he can’t, then drop him and decide whether McKay or Bene will partner Davidson. With the other playing kiddy-on right back. It can be just like last season. Then when someone gets injured Mendy is back and we can all watch through our fingers to see if he’s improved any.

I really, really hope we haven’t signed a donkey. McGlynn must have seen a player so hopefully he can get that working on the park. My fear is that we’ve been a bit desperate and we’ve fallen for the ‘I am the foreign boy and I have a video reel of me making a few tackles.’ Is Mendy this seasons Spanish Boy?

I’m hoping he’ll turn out okay, given we don’t have a lot of options in defence. *crosses fingers*

That hasn't happened, he's been training since April and had played in bounce games prior to signing. 

On a slightly more positive note. Regan Hendry will be good in midfield. Just need to hope he doesn’t get croaked by some crude challenge, like that Dundee No.4 was trying to execute yesterday.

Presumably he is a decent player then?
He has looked as much in the friendlys. He massively struggled with the pace of the game yesterday. He will need a few games to adapt but he does have the attributes to be a good signing.

On a slightly more positive note. Regan Hendry will be good in midfield. Just need to hope he doesn’t get croaked by some crude challenge, like that Dundee No.4 was trying to execute yesterday.

If it’s the tackle I’m thinking about, it was absolutely inch perfect. No danger it was crude.