Hank Scorpio

The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

I can't ever recall us having a "good" pre-season, so this is all a bit weird. 

I can! And it all too often proves to be a false dawn, this has lead to me superstitiously preferring to do shite in pre-season....although to be fair I've seen that trend continue too!

Not seen a game yet but listened to various appraisals and most seem to be happy that the team has a better balance about it. From the various highlights I like the way the midfield looks hungrier and aren't giving opposition time on the ball, it bodes well.

Still hoping for a loan signing that one that McGlynn said would be like "hitting the jackpot". I really hope it's a striker as I still feel we may be short on goals, mind you we all said that last season and look what Nizzy did! Perhaps Allan will be the same.

From the three games I've seen so far, we're definitely better balanced.  

We now have a midfield that will control games and a big CB who will get in the way of most crosses into the box; two of our failure points last season hopefully remedied. 

Get our strikers banging them in and I honestly reckon we'll be there or thereabouts. 

If we can win 4/4 pre season friendlies, am sure that will give us a huge confidence boost going into the season.

Not sure how others feel about Falkirk being in the league but I’m not confident at all. Like the previous year when we’ve had our challengers as Brechin and Dumbarton, yet it turns out to be arbroath, we surely all expected to win the league. This year if we don’t win the league I won’t be bothered because I fully expect Falkirk to run away with this league. Bought my season ticket last week and I’m involved with the supporters fund, still going to support the team this season, home and away no matter what previous results we’ve had. From seeing our team in pre season they are playing very well, and yet it gives me hope of a good season ahead, the thought of Falkirk still remains and it’s a worry.

Yes this sounds very negative, I’m still very excited for this season ahead but what will be will be at the end of the day. Bowie has shown he is very good on the ball and he clearly has a very good work ethic. I fully trust Mcglynn and Paul that they know what they are doing and I believe that one day they will get us back to where we belong.

Really want others to reply on their thoughts of the season ahead because I want to know if others feel the same.

Loved this - got to say I think Falkirk are fragile this year, new squad thrown together......when balls are getting slung in the mixer will they fancy digging each other out?

I think McGlynn’s work ethic and togetherness could see us win this.

I’m on at 6/1 anyway.

Buzzing.

Loved this - got to say I think Falkirk are fragile this year, new squad thrown together......when balls are getting slung in the mixer will they fancy digging each other out?

I’m on at 6/1 anyway.

Buzzing.
Falkirk have made some excellent signings but we've seen before how tricky some of these tightly packed defences at away grounds can be.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:
2 hours ago, raith-radgie said:

I’m on at 6/1 anyway.

Buzzing.

Falkirk have made some excellent signings but we've seen before how tricky some of these tightly packed defences at away grounds can be.

Falkirk have McKinnon...we have McGlynn,   just sayin". ....!

It's only pre season but hopefully Falkirk are ill prepared in some way but McKinnon knows this league and what it takes to get a team out of it.

McKinnon knows this league and what it takes to get a team out of it.

Does he?

24 minutes ago, pub car king said:

It's only pre season but hopefully Falkirk are ill prepared in some way but McKinnon knows this league and what it takes to get a team out of it.

Which team was that PCK? Genuine question. Be interested to see how long he lasts at FFC before jumping ship~~

@Frank conner No need to get my old adidas Beckenbauer's on yesterday, Duffy's Rejects seen off United with with a bit to spare  😀

Edited by Silverton End

Here are the highlights from yesterday's game. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

With less than a week to go till our first competitive game, how would everyone lineup against Dundee?

I would go with. Munro (mcgurn if he was available) Watson nando bene macdonald Bowie Matthews hendry Miller Victoria Allan in a 451/433. Watson/mckay is a toss up, as is Miller/ Spencer for me although Miller looks to provide more defensively. I don't think Allan is going to score many but his work and ability to link the play should spread the goals around hopefully.

With our currently better looking midfield, I would fear that a 451 would possibly undermine our progress by catching the mids too often on the turn of play, as that almost demands both mids on one side forward at any point. The 433 relies too much on forwards, our weakness, while protecting nicely against the counter and allowing midfield play. A 442 seems better suited to our improved mids, using the outside mids aggressively forward, and our two centers to hold the counters better and feed the ball forward.

After last season and the repeated outbreaks of hoof ball, I just want to see midfield play develop, because that’s what can lift us clear of League One.

With our currently better looking midfield, I would fear that a 451 would possibly undermine our progress by catching the mids too often on the turn of play, as that almost demands both mids on one side forward at any point. The 433 relies too much on forwards, our weakness, while protecting nicely against the counter and allowing midfield play. A 442 seems better suited to our improved mids, using the outside mids aggressively forward, and our two centers to hold the counters better and feed the ball forward.
After last season and the repeated outbreaks of hoof ball, I just want to see midfield play develop, because that’s what can lift us clear of League One.
Agree our midfield is looking stronger, that's why I'd be happy with 3 in the middle as at least 2 of the players iv mentioned can be quite attacking. There's been an emphasis on getting the ball wide at times in the friendlys so having the 3 in the middle will allow us to counter a counter attack if we have watson/ macdonald further up the pitch while allowing us to push body's on through the middle. We are playing a better standard of team than we will likely play the rest of the season so we do need to protect the defense when possible.

5 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Did he not get brechin up?

Nah, he'd been and was long gone at us when that happened!