The New Raith Rovers Thread

With less than a week to go till our first competitive game, how would everyone lineup against Dundee?

I would go with. Munro (mcgurn if he was available) Watson nando bene macdonald Bowie Matthews hendry Miller Victoria Allan in a 451/433. Watson/mckay is a toss up, as is Miller/ Spencer for me although Miller looks to provide more defensively. I don't think Allan is going to score many but his work and ability to link the play should spread the goals around hopefully.

With our currently better looking midfield, I would fear that a 451 would possibly undermine our progress by catching the mids too often on the turn of play, as that almost demands both mids on one side forward at any point. The 433 relies too much on forwards, our weakness, while protecting nicely against the counter and allowing midfield play. A 442 seems better suited to our improved mids, using the outside mids aggressively forward, and our two centers to hold the counters better and feed the ball forward.

After last season and the repeated outbreaks of hoof ball, I just want to see midfield play develop, because that’s what can lift us clear of League One.

With our currently better looking midfield, I would fear that a 451 would possibly undermine our progress by catching the mids too often on the turn of play, as that almost demands both mids on one side forward at any point. The 433 relies too much on forwards, our weakness, while protecting nicely against the counter and allowing midfield play. A 442 seems better suited to our improved mids, using the outside mids aggressively forward, and our two centers to hold the counters better and feed the ball forward.
After last season and the repeated outbreaks of hoof ball, I just want to see midfield play develop, because that’s what can lift us clear of League One.
Agree our midfield is looking stronger, that's why I'd be happy with 3 in the middle as at least 2 of the players iv mentioned can be quite attacking. There's been an emphasis on getting the ball wide at times in the friendlys so having the 3 in the middle will allow us to counter a counter attack if we have watson/ macdonald further up the pitch while allowing us to push body's on through the middle. We are playing a better standard of team than we will likely play the rest of the season so we do need to protect the defense when possible.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Agree our midfield is looking stronger, that's why I'd be happy with 3 in the middle as at least 2 of the players iv mentioned can be quite attacking. There's been an emphasis on getting the ball wide at times in the friendlys so having the 3 in the middle will allow us to counter a counter attack if we have watson/ macdonald further up the pitch while allowing us to push body's on through the middle. We are playing a better standard of team than we will likely play the rest of the season so we do need to protect the defense when possible.

So you actually want a 4-3-2-1? I can see that, but it’s the worry of only 2 to 3 forward versus 3-4 forward in a 442, and service into the area then suffering, that worries me.

Looking forward to the games against Falkirk even though I’m convinced at the moment they’ll skoosh the league. The McKinnon factor gives the games a bit of bite from our perspective I’d imagine. Be good to see a decent crowd at Starks as well and no doubt a good atmosphere.

For me, I think Falkirk have made excellent signings and could probably finish top 4 in the Championship with that team, however, as we’ve shown the last 2 years when you lack grit you stay down, Ray Mac, does know this league, but so far with his signings he is also showing he maybe doesn’t quite know this league... and as mentioned is it maybe too many signings all at once, and too soon for them all to “gel”. Will be interesting, I personally don’t think they’ll win the league. But I could be wrong and they could have it wrapped up by February.

As for our team on Saturday vs. Dundee -
Munro
McKay Nando Bene MacDonald
Matthews Miller
Anderson Hendry Victoria
Allan

2 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:

For me, I think Falkirk have made excellent signings and could probably finish top 4 in the Championship with that team, however, as we’ve shown the last 2 years when you lack grit you stay down, Ray Mac, does know this league, but so far with his signings he is also showing he maybe doesn’t quite know this league... and as mentioned is it maybe too many signings all at once, and too soon for them all to “gel”. Will be interesting, I personally don’t think they’ll win the league. But I could be wrong and they could have it wrapped up by February.

Munro
Matthews Miller
Anderson Hendry Victoria
Allan

You talk about Falkirk having too many new players needing to gel but isn't that around 6 new players in your starting line up?  Most teams in this league will have gelling to do, with the exception of maybe Clyde, Montrose and East Fife who have kept much of their squads together.

Any team signing guys like Connor Sammon at this level should breeze this league. 

We would need a lot of things to go wrong for Falkirk and a lot of things to go right for us if we were to go up as champions. The hard work we have made of getting out this league is as much down to our own failure as anything else, and a club with Falkirks resources should make light work of getting out this league. 

We've assembled a good League 1 side, which I am personally happy with as that represents a bit of progress from last season, but I don't think it's unrealistic to say our aim will likely be finishing a strong 2nd and winning the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:

Munro
Matthews Miller
Anderson Hendry Victoria
Allan

Astonished how anyone could think that rag tag mob are going to compete with Falkirk for the league.

Raith will be content with a top four finish which I wouldn't say is a given looking at that.

3 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Astonished how anyone could think that rag tag mob are going to compete with Falkirk for the league.

Raith will be content with a top four finish which I wouldn't say is a given looking at that.

Sober up you, we are fucking MASSIVE!

12 minutes ago, RRPT said:

180 notes of interest for the raith fund now, you'd imagine that would be close to paying the wages of 1 player. Good effort so far.

In order to hit their quarterly target your looking at everyone contributing ~£20, obviously some will pay more and some less... and of course, not all notes of interest develop into actually putting money in.

Edited by renton