The New Raith Rovers Thread

37 minutes ago, FullTimePint said:

I'm probably in the minority that thinks this, but right now i look at Falkirk in terms of their organisation and structure as a club, and i see a shambles. More often than not that translates onto the pitch. In Mckinnon (similar to Smith for you guys last year) they have a manager that must come flying out of the traps, and an unkind fixture list could have him in all kinds of trouble come christmas.  I wouldnt be surprised if Falkirk, and their big crowds are in for a much tougher season than they anticipate, and are certainly not my favourites for the league.

Airdrie and yourselves i think will be up there, and i wouldn't bet against Montrose continuing to be a strong team in the league. 

McGlynn is doing what probably should have been done last year, a sqaud with a few bigger names as part of an overall well organised team, as opposed to a team of championship journeymen.

Far too much common sense for this thread, please leave ;-)!!and East Fife will be up there as well imo

Out of everyone, I'd say Forfar have made the best signings and I reckon they will be up there. Good team last season and fully expect them to kick on.

In terms of signings, I think we've done pretty well. I think it's hard to judge the older players McGlynn has brought in as we haven't really seen them play week in week out, at least not for a good few seasons. I think Anderson is a good squad player to have, wears his heart on his sleeve and will work tirelessly for the cause, but unsure about him starting up tops. McGurn is a quality signing for his personality and the feel good factor alone. Haven't seen him play in years so don't know if he can do a job as a starter week in week out but he can't be as bad as some of the diddies we've had the past few seasons. The other signings will only become apparent once we've seen them play. Airdrie fans saying McDonald is not the best, but as long as he can work hard for 90 mins and not be a total shitebag, he's already better than Crane. I liked the look of Spencer when I seen him and Victoria can cause trouble, as shown against us, so hopefully McGlynn can get the best out of him and help him work hard for the team every week and not just himself. My main concern is that our partnership at centre back may be Bene and Davo. Davo should be seen as a squad player rather than a regular starter. Like most people, I wouldn't mind seeing a partnership of Bene and McKay week in week out, however Bene has yet to recapture the form before his injury against Ayr. A new right back is a must in my view, if not then let Watson play. I also think from what I've seen of him that he is very raw, but he can only improve given a considerable amount of game time. McKay came on leaps and bounds with a good run in the squad and we have struggled for full backs the past couple of seasons. Give him a run, if by January he hasn't made the impact we'd have hoped, sign someone else.

Don't understand the panic in some people. We have a good core squad with only a couple of strikers and a right back to come in, potentially a new keeper but that may solve itself if Lyness signs, who I think we've yet to see the best of. If he carries his form from the playoffs to next season he could be the answer to the question. With Vaughan and Dingwall to come back, I'm not worried. My biggest concern last season was our midfield and I don't think our midfield helped the calamitous defending last season whereas I think this has the potential to be the best midfield we've had in donkeys and may take some pressure of the defence. Find a couple of strikers that can score 15-20 goals each we'll not be far off, although I appreciate these players are hard to come by. We have one already in Vaughan and Victoria scored 12 last season with half a season spent at stranraer.. I'd like to think we can provide him better service than them.

No panic here, I'm looking forward to seeing who else comes in but we still have a few weeks to make those signings. Calm doon.

1 hour ago, FullTimePint said:

I'm probably in the minority that thinks this, but right now i look at Falkirk in terms of their organisation and structure as a club, and i see a shambles. More often than not that translates onto the pitch. In Mckinnon (similar to Smith for you guys last year) they have a manager that must come flying out of the traps, and an unkind fixture list could have him in all kinds of trouble come christmas.  I wouldnt be surprised if Falkirk, and their big crowds are in for a much tougher season than they anticipate, and are certainly not my favourites for the league.

Airdrie and yourselves i think will be up there, and i wouldn't bet against Montrose continuing to be a strong team in the league. 

McGlynn is doing what probably should have been done last year, a sqaud with a few bigger names as part of an overall well organised team, as opposed to a team of championship journeymen.

1 hour ago, mealsonwheels said:

Agree with 99% of this but not that Falkirk will win the league. I never write off my team before a ball is kicked. It's still 11 players vs on the park and although having quality in paper is great the most important this is teamwork and the never say die attitude. We have to keep believing in our club. It's what we have to be.... 

I fear that even if they have a dodgy start, Falkirk will recruit well enough over the course of the season to get where they need to be. Mckinnon is still a decent manager, in my view. 

19 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I fear that even if they have a dodgy start, Falkirk will recruit well enough over the course of the season to get where they need to be. Mckinnon is still a decent manager, in my view. 

Unless, of course, some other club offer him a better gig..............ahemmmmm...naw, just :whistlecouldnae happen 'ho'....

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I'm inclined to agree with you, but it's a nice stat to point out that Mckinnon has more relegations on his CV than promotions. 

Agreed, Ray the snake was & still is a very good manager albeit outwith the Premiership, he’s the only manager recently at the Rovers who could tactically change a game mid-game. McGlynn didn’t first time round, Murray definitely didn’t & Locke, we’ll bypass him, Yogi, we’ll bypass him also, and Smith didn’t have tactics at all.
I’ve said this before but had he stayed another year at us, and then left in the same fashion I don’t think anyone would be arsed at all. It’s just the way he conducts himself a year at a time or 3months at Morton. If he sees out this season with Falkirk, is that his longest gig?

Maybe this guy won’t go missing in big games like Nisbet in the play off final 🤷‍♂️
Oooft......nothing to do with fact your whole team shat itself and lost to a team who'd been utter dug shite for 6 months.

34 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:
6 hours ago, RaithRover123 said:
Maybe this guy won’t go missing in big games like Nisbet in the play off final 🤷‍♂️

Oooft......nothing to do with fact your whole team shat itself and lost to a team who'd been utter dug shite for 6 months.

Didn’t they beat Dunfermline in  April, during the dugshite era ?